20/06/20 - Community Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WNSvyL54fLf8Zd3B.png

Community Updates - 20/06/20
Missions/Quests, Roleplay Props, and Recent Events Regarding the CM Vote.

Good evening guys,

The Development team has recently been looking into implementations to the server that would help new players learn the game mode easier, the ideas the devs have in mind include a tutorial type system (missions/quests) which would guide new players through their experience on the server.

What the quest system would look like.

New players would have simple tasks which they will be guided through to teach them new aspects of the game, such as crafting, drugs, legal jobs, and the player economy. The quests will be fairly easy and would reward the player with starter items such as planter boxes, workbenches, and a car. Players would be directed to the quest by an arrow, likely shown somewhere in the inventory wheel menu, so that there isn't constantly an annoying arrow on their screen if they choose not to carry out the quest. These quests can include Legal civilian tasks such as crafting or fishing, legal job tasks such as signing up as a medic, or criminal tasks like growing drugs. This is to introduce these new players to all aspects of the server so that they can see the best fit for them.

Quests for more seasoned players.

This implementation would be great to guide newer players, however, this would also be interesting to see for far more seasoned players too, it is with this that we hope the future contains a broader horizon of role-playing and tasks to keep all of our players entertained and hungry for what comes next. The tasks we create could also bring about new roleplay situations which players may not normally find them in if they weren't directed into them. These quests would of course provide rewards, however, instead of providing starter items, they would likely reward organization XP, money, drugs, or other higher-value items depending on the task.

We'd like to ask you all for feedback on these concepts, and to provide us ideas and suggestions for rewards, quest ideas, and also any other changes which would improve this system.

Introduction of more Roleplay Props

Recently we've had a lot of players and staff attempting to carry out more passive roleplay on the server, including passive roleplay events. A few days ago there was a situation where @JARRE created a passive roleplay Hookah shop in Bazaar, he attempted to decorate the shop nicely however used a basic planter box (with marijuana in it) to improvise a plant decoration, which looked pretty nice and was allowed by 3 staff members at the time, however this led to the ban of @Inchs who took the drugs which were only being used as passive roleplay decorations, after he was told not to take them by staff, therefore breaking 1.4. Now I'm not going to go into details about whether he was in the right or wrong, or attempt to justify either party, however, a solution to this issue would be to implement more roleplay props which could be crafted or bought from an NPC to avoid the need for improvisation. After a chat with @Samuel about the possibility of this going ahead, I'd like to get suggestions from you guys for what props/decorations you'd like to see which would benefit passive roleplay.

In regards to the Community Manager vote.

This is something I would like to discuss due to the number of threads and posts about this. As explained by @Madda on another thread:

@Madda's response.
People who applied - All of which does not meet the requirements. Also important to note that Inch originally applied but withdrew it as originally we did not want staff to hold the role. This was later changed due to a lack of applicants.
  • Mage - Banned
  • Askasta - Not active at all
  • Palohdi - Recent warning/ban
  • Speedy - Recent warning
TinySlayer, also openly asked in Slack what the staff team thought about the role. Here he also outlines that staff members can hold the role.

As for a direct reply to you @Inchs, you were directly asked by TinySlayer in slack if you thought you could hold the role, which you never gave a proper reply to, even though he had written staff could now hold the role. So please, don't come here and say you did not get the opportunity.

While I originally agreed with a vote, and think that would of been the best way to go about it I just don't see how that would of been possible with the applicants that we got, seeing as no one met the application criteria.

This post explains how the only candidates for the role would have been me and @Inchs even if a vote had taken place, Inchs' seems to have different opinions to @Madda as to what went on, however, even if we would like to resolve this, due to recent events, Inchs' would no longer meet the requirement or be eligible for the role.

After a conversation with Inchs' last night, he wanted to provide a statement on the situation from his side, and I think it's only fair as I've included Madda's in this post.

Statement from @Inchs
"First and foremost, I would like to apologize to anyone who I have negatively affected during the entire thing. It's obvious to the people who know me this is not how I behave as a person, just causing issues like this. Basically the entire situation was a really bad miscommunication. Basically I first applied to the role because I have a lot I wanted to do, however, tiny informed me I'd have to take a demotion to hold the role, so obviously I withdrew. A few days later Tiny makes a post on slack letting staff vote to keep or remove the role as well as an announcement you could hold your staff role and cm at the same time, but it was voted to be removed so I thought it was done and dusted. I was not given a chance to reapply and this is when Dom was given it when I hadn't heard anything in a few days as I thought the role was removed. This is why I got annoyed, I understand Dom would have still won but I would have liked the chance. In conclusion, this was a misunderstanding and I'm sorry for escalating this as I did."

I know that it's frustrating, and I do thank most of you for understanding the decisions made by Senior Administration in regards to this vote, but I do think that it is time to move past this and it is my responsibility that confusion such as this does not happen again, and for this reason, communication on similar events will be my priority.

Thank you.

Community Manager,
Dom_

Reaction score
Props:
Portable signs: Allow users to enter custom text- currently you need to use a random prop.
Bricks: Can be thrown and breaks if it hits a solid object- Can be used during riots to throw at buildings etc
Orange/Yellow vests(Clothing addiction)- can be bought at safety first, equipped?- can be worn by people doing building work etc
Portable lights: Can be placed, interactable- Could be used to lighten up a certain area, better than using a spotlight.

Reaction score
Thanks for making this thread, feels like a community post that wasnt typed up by a robot. Great step towards transparency!
Honestly i wanted to apply for CM but i felt there would probably be a bazillion candidates for a 'free staff' slot and i expected i would probably make 0 chance, didnt expect only 4 people to apply for it lmao. which feels weird, youd expect alot of people to simp for a role like this

Reaction score
I see no reason why not! If the system is implemented by these events (which it should be!) it shouldnt be difficult to add some quests around this time period which would reward a seasonal item.

Reaction score
@Dom_ I don't know if I can directly link this here or not, please feel free to delete if not, but this kinda counts towards that implementing more props part of your thread. But this is what I would want implemented props wise / consumables wise to promote more passive roleplay and add depth to the system. : )

Reaction score
@Synatec I checked the files available to me, not sure how much there is that players generally aren't aware of yet, but from what I've seen in the files I have in my gmod folder, there were very few extra props such as milk, cream and uncooked meat that isn't exactly something very usable in my mind.

Deleted member 5920

Serious RP = combat reviving in shootouts as medic for 2 years? :oops: :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Sam
Reaction score
I didn't say I roleplayed medic correctly I'm saying that growing and selling illegal drugs in one of the most public places and disallowing/punishing players for doing basic in-game mechanics that would otherwise be allowed with no logic behind it (from IC point of view) is not serious roleplay. Even if it was its a dumb idea as its creating a confusing situation that is surely going end up with something unwanted happening. Bending rules a little bit to create more fun/realistic situations is a good thing but it shouldn't be confused with completely disregarding most rules for selected people and forcing other people to an additional set of rules that make no IC sense. If your "passive" roleplaying situation requires a staff member to constantly be there in order to enforce it it's probably not a good idea. Nothing wrong with displaying legal stuff at the front of the shop and using the back of the shop for illegal plants if you want to create a shop like that but this was something else. Also, can I apologize for playing medic? I don't know what exactly happened but I played medic mainly for few days and I don't know what I did to make you mad enough to hardwire your brain to say that I'm dumb and that I only play medic every time you see my name but it has been a long time since I did whatever made you mad cant you forget it?

Status
Not open for further replies.