911 CALLS: Display and functionality overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Discussion Post: https://perpheads.com/threads/911-call-display-overhaul.36023/

Main Idea: Change the 911 reports to a VGUI when an emergency responder.

Full description of the idea:
As of now, we have the same system for viewing non-dispatched 911 reports as we did in 2016. This being a large red message in the top left of your screen fading in and looking something like:

Caller: John Smith

I am suggesting that we, as a community, take strives to improve upon this design. It functions as it is supposed to, but there is potential there to make it more realistic and easier to manage at the same time, be there a dispatch or no dispatch. The design will be a sleek and easy to understand VGUI that appears similar to the mayoral election in the top left corner, and can be quickly cleared from an officer's view, can show the units assigned, and can clearly and easily converse information without too much fuss. Here are the proposed designs (subject to change):

STANDARD EMERGENCY CALL: Shown to ALL emergency services
uUMMOnJ.png

LIFE ALERT: Shown to EMS and Police
fEjQUkr.png

BURGLAR ALARM: Shown to Police
AvVXb7f.png

FIRE ALARM: Shown to ALL emergency services
U1A6vNQ.png

DIAGRAM OF EMERGENCY CALL TAB AND HOW IT WOULD WORK
RH3odgL.png

I would also reccomend adding a certain transparency to the background, perhaps scaleable with the GUI Alpha setting?

REPRESENTATION OF IT IN-GAME
BzKm5Bp.png

Not only would these implementations help more easily categorise events to respond to, but they also tie into @Appricey and his plpd.online suggestion regarding showing officers assigned to calls, which is good for internal affairs as well as to communicate between responding officers and get a good look at the numbers.

How will it work with screen resolutions? @Mage
Custom interfaces and screen resolution have never worked hand-in-hand on the server. I play on 4:3 and it's notably an issue when the message takes up most of the screen. It's a bodge, but may I suggest having a setting that allows users with lower screen resolutions and poorer specifications to use a 'performance' mode? Something that takes up as little space as possible (perhaps collapsable tabs that can be opened?) while still conveying the necessary information and the ability to close, solve or assign yourself. I'm not a big brain on the VGUI aspect, but it's an interesting and important perspective that should be addressed.

What will it look like when more reports come in than prepared for? @Mage
At any time, two (maybe 3, subject to development decision) 911 calls can be displayed on your screen at once. They are stacked, the newest being at the top and oldest at the bottom. After 30 seconds (perhaps 20) of not assigning yourself to the report, it automatically closes, making room for the next report to come in. Now, it's unlikely, but if an additional call comes in while two are already on the screen, then the oldest one is replaced with the new one. For situations where a lot of people are reporting the same thing (such as a bombing), then Corporals+ can remove these multiple-calls and focus their response on a single report, or officers can manually remove them clientside.

Should a large influx of calls come swooping in then, yes, I'd be good to put priority over life alerts and break-ins due to their requirement of quick response, though I'm not sure how that would be coded.

Why should it be added?: It clearly pleases the playerbase, for a start, and provides an interesting dynamic in terms of being able to coordinate yourself and others throughout the situation. It is more visually appealing and up-to-date than the current typeface, and gives much more interactivity when Dispatchers are not online. With this addition, it would also drastically improve response time as a medic can see a green box and know there is an incident, as well as being able to see the area of the report. Read the aspects below for the primary pros and cons.

Pros:
+ Much more realistic
+ Facilitates and includes Appricey's suggestion
+ Gives the calls more fluency
+ Allows easier representation of the purpose of the call
+ Gives responders quick access to the nature and location of the call
+ Helps officers show their response to an incident and communicate easier
+ Can assist supervisors in identifying officers on-scene when dealing with an IA incident, e.t.c.

Cons:
- May be considered distracting
- Lots of more-detailed message boxes may cause slight performance changes
- Adding scaling to VGUI to prevent lower resolutions experiencing problems might be a challenge

It also will take a lot of development. I mean a lot, a lot.

Other additions:
I'd also recommend having a similar function for when dispatch is online to facilitate fluency.

6pbP6Bb.png

A potential feature could be adding a custom sound to properly alert units when a call comes in, such as the one below, which could alternate based on the nature of the call (standard, burglary, life alert, fire, e.t.c) to give an audible heads-up regarding a call coming in.

The implementation of a potential keybind to automatically assign you to the newest incident without any hassle would be appreciated as well, due to the fact that in order to manually select the 'exit', 'solve' or '+' buttons, you would have to (similar to the new mayoral election process) use the tab key to bring up your mouse pointer and then click on one of the functions.

Another potential addition would be adding a flashing red icon to a name if they have pressed their panic button or have died while assigned to the incident, as well as being able to scroll along the list of names?

Reaction score
I would say that all your "cons" could be prevented if it would still appear as it does right now, while having the option to access it as you suggested via the Police System in the Police car (F3).

Reaction score
FAR too much effort to fix something that isnt broken and works just fine.

Sam

Reaction score
I do agree that the current way of displaying emergency calls is lacking in design and makes it hard to find old calls.

There is already a concept of a new "communication system" that includes something like this. We want to make it so officers can assign themselves to calls etc... Hopefully changes will be made in the next couple of months.

Reaction score
Some of the call locations we have right now, is coming up as Unknown in the locations, we go to it and the actual incident was at Bazaar water feature forest.

Reaction score
It does sound great, and in my opinion it wouldn't be distracting as long as those messages would be able to stack and not spam and block your view.

Deleted member 4084

Additionally, you could also change the 911 calling whilst they're at it; currently there is very little communication, as it's very hard to distinguish whether you need to call or not and when you do 80% of the time there isn't a dispatcher in service and so making the communications via. calls should be more important and much more used than the text service.

When creating a report to the Emergency Services, you should be able to select the primary service in which you require to respond, or you can select multiple services and the dispatcher can set who goes and adjust the said services. This may be talk for a completely different suggestion itself' however this could be the start of something.

The suggestion you have presented is very well built and presented to the community, one criticism I noticed was "why fix something that's not broken", we could argue that it's about change and that we do need change. I love the idea but truly do believe that the 911 calls should go through the police computer or a little menu that you can use whilst driving (such as a pop-up when pressing a keybing that shows up in a small section somewhere which shows current 911 calls and a few characters of the report, the units assigned and time report has been ongoing) this can then be seen in greater detail when you open up the police computer via. F3) or even on the phone in a 'Police Dept. App' which you can see on-going calls and request to be assigned to calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.