Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Friends

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • I don't

Votes: 39 48.1%

• Total voters

Sam

Reaction score
Another discussion made by me. I promise this will not become a thing!

Last night I and several community members had a nice conversation in the shoutbox about things we "hate" about PERP, the conversation continued into stuff we think would aid the community. And I thought it might be a good idea to have a healthy discussion about it. As normal I have a lot of opinions and have had for a long time. Just not been able to be very vocal about them.

I upset a few people with my last discussion but as these are topics that have been brought up a few times in different posts and forums, I don't really care, If you are going to hold a position you should be open to criticism and discussion. PERPHeads is an amazing, or awesome community as the logo says. But it has its flaws due to mismanagement and inactivity. As I mentioned in the shoutbox yesterday, I do not believe PERPHeads will ever be the community many of us want, where serious roleplay is a thing. It is way too late to try to completely transform the type of roleplay being done. But as always, improvement can be done!

New Players
One of the biggest issues on PERP, is that it's not always that easy to start off. Especially if you join with no friends.
And even if you join with a friend or two, you will after a while start getting raided by PROFESSIONAL CS GO PLAYERS that think this is some kind of Call of Duty Deathmatch game mode. Not that I have anything against Call of Duty, it's a good game. Especially NAZI Zombies! And of course, a big part of PERP is gunplay, where people shoot at each other. But it should be fun for both parties.

A few years ago, Organisations would try to imminently recruit new players to their organizations, which gave new players a good start in their PERP "career". This does not really happen anymore. I remember in the Harpers, we had so many new players, it was crazy! But it allowed them to earn that first million or so before they could base on their own.
During the past year, there has been a lot of good plans to improve things for new players, a tutorial system, a mission system, rewards for inviting new players to organizations, etc... but at the end of the day, this will not work. If you do not want new players in your organization you will probably not do it for some extra XP either.

So my question is, why would you not want new players in your organization? Why does everyone want to treat their organizations as professional CS GO teams? What has changed?

Roleplay and "events
For the past few years, I and many more have seen the type of roleplay change. It has gone more towards a more unserious type of roleplay. Where the goal is to spend as little time as possible on stuff. Where even the shortest traffic stop is a pain in the ass. Where gunplay has completely taken over the "arena", where it feels like people care more out their K/D score than the interactions they have during roleplay.
Roleplay on PERP has always been a bit unique, its really never been the super-serious game mode many players want. And as I said above, it will never be that game mode either. But how come gunplay has completely taken over? Is it the strive to be the best that keeps players playing on the server these days? I personally have a very hard time understanding the mindset of some players. Where the time between each shootout must be kept to a minimum or they will leave for the day. Is this what PERP has become? a Team Death Match server? where some poor players get caught in the crossfire while trying to set up a newspaper stand.
I would really like to know why people join PERP every day, what is it that keeps them playing?

Something that maybe deserves its own section, is events. But it personally think events have an impact on roleplay.
So there are three types of events, Pre-scheduled OOC Events, Roleplay Events, and Random OOC Events.
I personally agree that OOC events are good and fun, but they should be planned in advance! For several reasons, such as it is a roleplay server, where random OOC events interrupt roleplay situations. I can instantly remember 4 situations where roleplay has been interrupted by events starting out of the blue. Having all the suspects in your car disappear, or having everyone robbing the bank disappear is not really what I consider fun.

What makes these often spammed OOC events so fun? Do players play because of events instead of the roleplay? and why is it even allowed to interrupt proper roleplay with OOC events that have not been announced ahead of time on the forums? This is after all a roleplay server.

If we move on to roleplay events, which could be something really good! From what I have seen its mostly gunplay events, again fueling the gunplay driven roleplay. Like I said in the shoutbox, roleplay events should happen every day of every week. These events do not need to be anything fancy like robots taking over the city or shit like that. It can be simple things, such as dead bodies popping up forcing the police to investigate, and stuff like that. Explosions and gunfire are not the answer to everything. I think it would be in the best interest of the community to actually show newer players that we are serious about our roleplay. We state that we are a serious roleplaying community, but in fact, we are a Team Death Match server most days. I am not saying that gunplay should not be a part of the game mode, all I am saying is that it should not be the driving force, interactions should!

Finishing off I would like to express my thoughts about the role, Community Manager. This is more aimed towards the role and not directly at the person/persons that are holding/have held it.
It's a great idea. The plan for it was amazing! A person that handles the roleplay, development, and community relation parts. This is something PERP has needed for years. Someone who spends his time in-game, making the gamemode better, and making sure players are enjoying the server.
But, unless you are blind, dumb, or dead you will realize this is not what the role has become. I would currently describe the role of "OOC Event Manager with more permissions". nothing more, nothing less.
So whose fault is this? I would say it no one's fault. It's more an issue of mismanagement and inactivity. No one seems to be putting pressure on the CM to perform tasks, which leaves the CM to do whatever the CM wants to do. Which is something that is never good, it decently results in poor performance and nothing being done.
If we take a look at the short history of the CM rank we do barley see any achievements. Other than one failed community meeting I personally have not seen any push for change, or improvement.
This does not mean that I think the role should be removed. I just think as I have said before. Should be a secondary role, with proper supervision. The role should not come with any permissions, it should be an administrative position. And should not be treated as an Event Manager role, that was not its created purpose and in my opinion, is just fucking retarded.

I think removing the CM role from its current holder, holding a community meeting, sending out a community survey, and then making an action plan will be a very good step in the right direction.

Thank you for reading. And again I am sorry for all the text, but these are things that I have wanted to say for a while, but been unable to.

Reaction score
I'll leave my own thoughts on the various good points you've made here.

So my question is, why would you not want new players in your organization? Why does everyone want to treat their organizations as professional CS GO teams? What has changed?
PERP is just too focused on the money making aspect, some only want the best of the best and people they already trust. There aren't many orgs anymore that take anyone into their open arms, organisation domination is also a thing where big organisations basically curb stomped newer organisations with new players, I was in one of those in V1 if you remember Skinheadbande, Belinsky's just wouldn't stop raiding us. The mentality is what didn't leave us quitting PERP, we kept growing and coming back to fight, we found fun in this kind of stuff with the small German group we had.
I would really like to know why people join PERP every day, what is it that keeps them playing?
Friends. Those that actually make PERP fun for me are the people I've met over the years which really make the game mode fun for me, no matter what we do. I don't join every day actually, I re-joined about 4 days ago (last played August 22nd or something) but it's still something I enjoy. If my friends are banned (which usually happen either on their mistake or because staff feel like it) then I also don't feel like playing either.
I personally agree that OOC events are good and fun, but they should be planned in advance! For several reasons, such as it is a roleplay server, where random OOC events interrupt roleplay situations. I can instantly remember 4 situations where roleplay has been interrupted by events starting out of the blue. Having all the suspects in your car disappear, or having everyone robbing the bank disappear is not really what I consider fun.
REAL
It can be simple things, such as dead bodies popping up forcing the police to investigate, and stuff like that.
Someone recently played as a Arsonist putting fire to NPC owned shops (also partly mayor related reason), it gave the Police something to do and stakeout several locations to finally catch the person doing it. Probably the reason why not many people do stuff like this is because of staff intervening (and finding some reason to ban you even though you're not impacting anyone but your own pocket). Staff need to be more relaxed about roleplay based events as long as they have their reasoning.
I think removing the CM role from its current holder, holding a community meeting, sending out a community survey, and then making an action plan will be a very good step in the right direction.
Not many people even applied for this position in the first place (4 people if I recall? Not any of them were even any competent). So it really wasn't of anyones interest, nice idea but it just lacks.

Sam

Reaction score
Very nice reply!

The only thing I would want to comment on is the last thing. Very few applied that is true, and none of them were considered serious enough to hold the role. But this should not mean that we should have a non-functioning role, if no suitable candidate can be found, then remove it. But we should not allow it to slowly die like it is currently doing.

Reaction score
What makes these often spammed OOC events so fun? Do players play because of events instead of the roleplay? and why is it even allowed to interrupt proper roleplay with OOC events that have not been announced ahead of time on the forums? This is after all a roleplay server.

I remember when a gungame event was put up and my mate got his head kicked in by about 20 children because he was fishing in Hicktown :(

Sam

Reaction score
Yea, I have seen this happen a few times. It is pretty sad. Poor new player stands in hicktown thinking they are safe, and then 30 people spawn in next to them with guns.

Reaction score
Nowadays though as long as they arent hiding in the forest to grow etc, they usually clear areas, I always hear from like @Collier saying, can't do an event X or Y player is doing this in the forest or city etc

Reaction score
My idea is that we entwine roleplay into events, and as such, during raid / gun game events, I will be gearing up as TFU To splatter as many event participants with the SWAT Van as I can.

Reaction score
You can't kill people who aren't in events anymore if I recall correctly.

Reaction score
Why does everyone want to treat their organizations as professional CS GO teams?

We've had a few orgs that have been very large and powerful in the last few years on PERP (see: Belinskys, Harpers, Standish Family etc.)

However, we had never really seen an org that was as dominant to the point where Fredy had to ban members than Olsen Banden. Olsen showed the server how powerful an org can be, and a bunch of rimmers and wannabes have shown up since Olsen has died off. So many people want to be as dominant as Olsen was, so they are completely ignorant of the whole concept of what PERP was meant to be, a roleplay server. The desire to become like Olsen has driven some people to completely forget the roleplay side of the server, simply play to make the most money possible, and to get into the most shootouts as possible, whilst being as toxic as possible.

I'm personally not sure what can be properly done about these types of players, a community wide a few years back for some Olsen members (some were v toxic yes yes i know) did more damage than good in the long term I believe. Sure, we got some peace on the server for a while, but a lot of the members of Olsen were infact key driving forces for people to join the server (friends, raiding partners etc.) Much like @Creepis mentioned, it's very difficult sometimes to hop onto PERP without any of your friends already being on the server, as solo play isn't really fun at all.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
PERP has always been on the path of a cops+ vs robbers game. This isn’t inherently a bad thing but it is quite hard to shift away from. I think there were attempts to try and make perp more community oriented but they weren’t really followed all the way through for one reason or another. Trying to run mini events on the server is a huge chore because a lot of people like to dismiss them as they’re not official. Some of the best events of had were the secure high value transport, half the server rushing down a van bonsai screaming at eachother. I think it’s the cancer chaotic moments that really stick with us in memory of perp; the balance of serious roleplay, alongside the occasional outbreak of funny chaos, really help the server and make it much more enjoyable

I think a main issue is the severity with how the rules are treated like the word of god, unbendable. Sometimes it’s beneficial for rules to be flouted to increase the enjoyment of everyone.

Take today where I got “blindfolded” (turned off my monitor) and got led to what I knew was my certain death by Frankie and Co. ended up with @Kenty grenading me in a cage. There was propblocking, 3.4 and countless dumb rule breaks that made for some fun roleplay on a 24 player server. None of the staff on thought it necessary to pursue because nobody involved or external wanted to ruin the joy everyone had (on both sides) by pinning us down with the technical rulebreaks.

roleplay > ruleplay any day of the week.

And tbf I join perp for the police RP and the shootouts but the benefit of the community is how many great friends, and more oof, I’ve met over the years.

Reaction score
Caging someone is entirely realistic in my opinion if done for a valid roleplay reason and done so in a manner thats realistic (Not fortnite building a cage around someone).

Reaction score
Not a single ban was for doxing lmao, only claim that was correct was me calling fredy which he’s also done to me pretending to be a pesky pizza delivery guy ( fucccck you @Fredy and your geo guesser ways)

Reaction score
@Dom_ is dead, he should be given a week and if not active fired and executed.

Seniors admins don’t care, aren’t active, nothing personal like them both. Replace them both.

Seen more use out of @ShadowJoey on Snapchat than out of Bolli on perp, replace him too.

Then at the end of it all get a magic fairy that can make the player base actually want to rp instead of collect guns in their storages.