Criminal Speeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law:
This is a "new law" although it could be tacked on additionally to law 12.2 (Speeding)
What law do you wish to change/add:

Any vehicle traveling in excess of 25 MPH of the posted speed limit should be classified as Criminal or Felony speeding, and be subject to a maximum of 5 years in prison (Used for more severe violations I.E 100 MPH down the business street) and a 5,000 dollar fine.
Why should this change/addition be made:

It is extremely annoying and frustrating trying to pull people over for speeding, as it stands currently if someone is traveling 100 down business all they are subject to is a 1500 dollar fine, realistically you would be thrown in jail with numerous charges. Adding this law (12.2 a maybe?) would allow for stricter policing of speeding violations and allow for more "justice"
What is the aim of this change/addition:

To get people to stop speeding down narrow roads, I can't tell you how many times I have been walking across the crosswalk with the light on just to be hit by some supercar going 100+ down business.
Additional Information:

Maybe even make this into a rule for certain streets? I.E You should not travel with excess speed down narrow, densely populated roads (i.e business) unless it drastically increases your chances of survival. Because as mentioned before it is quite common to see people get merked because guys in supercars can't slow down.

A1L

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't think there is a need for this, I mean considering the fact of law 12.12, You could take into consideration yes, this may be 12.2 Speeding but under 12.12, Reckless Driving, it specifically outlines "Any person who drives any vehicle with disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of this offence.", which in the case of a person speeding an excess amount of speed above the speed limit, could technically be charged with that.

If you look into it, if you're driving that fast, you're clearly having no regard anyones safety.

Reaction score
While yes in some specific situations excessively speeding can technically be a violation of numerous things. The law itself is so specific I personally believe stricter policing that is directed at speeding specifically would clear the air and eliminate the use of interpretation of the law. That way officers don't have to play judge and can just focus on enforcement. I see where you are coming from, and am well aware that yes speeding can be classified as reckless driving, it is the same with many other crimes that are given there own place on the penal code.

A1L

Reaction score
I guess just make it an actual classification or something relating to 12.2, Speeding, such as changing it a little and or adding a subsection I guess but yeah I understand where you're coming from

Reaction score
I +support this. Don't know about the specific penalties, but yes for the idea.

I don't think the reckless driving argument holds up here, because what is the cutoff between just speeding and recklessly driving? If I'm driving 5 kmh above the limit, I may be just speeding.

But how many more kmh do I need to drive to be considered causing danger to others and not simply be speeding anymore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.