GTA 5 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When my friend tries to open the game, the game closes down and gives him the following error:

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT

Failed Initialization. Please reboot and restart the game. Try reinstalling the game if this persists.

Any solutions?

Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to try verifying your game cache if you haven't already tried it.

"D3D" = Direct3D -> try update your graphics card drivers I'm blind, give me a minute

Edit: It's definitely an issue with DirectX.
  • Disable NVidia Share, Plays or any other form of overlay.
  • Open the settings.xml file in C:\Users\{name}\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V, change line 38 to <DX_Version value="0" />. That'll force load DirectX 10.
  • He could also try deleting the GTAV executable file in it's Steam folder and then run the launcher, it should collect the missing file.
If that doesn't work he'll probably need to reinstall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everybody claims different solutions. Some say it's a DirectX problem, others say it's your video card crashing, likely due to an 'unstable overclock' or overheating. A common solution is to delete the directx related files from your GTA directory and then verify game cache. Others reinstall directx manually.

Reaction score
Discord overlay lets some games crash, depends person to person i think, i have no problems with it on csgo, i had tho on TF2

Reaction score
I re-install it often when I have issues, I don't mind the 20 minute wait tbh.
But that's just because I have up to 80MB DL speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.