Is this Racist?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date

Deleted member 1235

So basically, I've just had my uni work marked by possibly the most triggered tutor in the country.

My work was a source analysis on a memorandum in 1916 telling French officers to instruct their men to stop fraternising with the Black American Soldiers, so as not to offend the white soldiers.

Anyway, I got a 2:1 and could've easily got a 1st but apparently my work was itself racist (whilst analysing a racist document, the irony right?). I'm curious to know if you were marking this work, would you have marked it down for using 'racist vocabulary'? Bare in mind, I had already used the word African American a million times before, and wanted to avoid repetition.

I'll post the full sentence to give it some context and allow you guys to judge for yourself

14563100f76199831d07f6aeec0e3d72.png

and

aeee1b7da5defd0fd602159586407876.png

Bare in mind I've been doing 'source analysis' for nearly 10 years and have never had issues with how I referred to minority groups, even in the 4 years I did Fascism.

Reaction score
a triggered professor, boy i sure haven't heard that before

edit: i dont get whats racist here

Reaction score
you could had used another word for coloured such as darker tinted or from another origin as you identifying black as different stating colored. You are kind of putting people in boxes for races instead of using their nationality.

The word choice is tricky especially seen the topic and on analysis bases I would like to state other words should had been used to make it less racist yes.

Reaction score
But, you clearly tried to use it and it has no hate racial intention, there is just no way around it so he shouldnt moan

Reaction score
Wouldn't being called african-american be a tad insulting, considering they served in the French army? I'd have just said black when referring to them, it's not an insult, it's a description. Stupid tutor eternally offended by everything under the sun. Fuck 'em, 1:2 is still brilliant I'd say.

rat

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it was racist or not it's a piece of academic work and as such should be marked on its ability and analysis and not it's opinions

Reaction score
As a fellow academic, I see literally nothing wrong with how it was phrased but I think the term preferred these days is "person of color" (Might just be me as I work a lot within the American field and that is 'correct' terminology for a lot of professors I have encountered (Mostly American professors though). The terminology you used, while perhaps outdated (if we were to believe a professor I had 1½ years ago) So i can only speak for my own experiences, even though I have never been graded down because of something like that.
Being graded down solely from that is insulting, if that is the sole reason why you didnt get better marks, and I think I would personally have voiced my disagreement with the professor him/herself, consulted other professors (which hopefully you have some you could ask) or the secretary's office (if I wanted to file a complaint)
In newer times it can be a bit of a minefield because a lot of different professors have a lot of different opinions as to how such things should be phrased

Last edited:
Reaction score
instead of marking down your work, he should've given it full marks but explained to you that you shouldn't use incorrect slurs like that in your work; that would've been much fairer. I would go have a word with him i wouldn't be too happy