Law 2.3 Right to a civil protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law: New Law

What law do you wish to change/add: I want to allow people to have a civil protest- Where there is no violence. Basically a gathering of people protesting taxes, the police, etc.

Why should this change/addition be made: This way people would be able to protest police abuse or the mayor's ridiculous taxes. Although, if it gets out of hand, people can be punished for it.

What is the aim of this change/addition: Allowing people to have a peaceful protest over what's going on in the city, like police hitting people for no reason (Which happens sometimes) and the mayor having insanely high taxes, next to no police slots, or giving the police very little pay.

Additional Information: Right now, if we protest for whatever reason we can get tickets for causing Alarm & Distress, which I think is a bit stupid. We should be able to have peaceful protests in the city if we think something is wrong.
If this is added, I may make a Suggestion for protest signs to go with it.

M

Reaction score
The Penal Code format, generally, lists offences, details and their penalties. 'Right to' isn't really appropriate, but I feel that the best way to handle this matter is to re-introduce the 'Unlawful Assembly' law to make such public gatherings only permissible with permission from a supervisory officer.

Sam

Reaction score
Bjqo5sr.png

PARALAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
POLICING AND POLICY
Hello,

A law suggestion for this have been submitted to the Chiefs of Department for review. Feel free to discuss it and suggest changes

Suggested Law:
10.4 Unlawful Assembly
Any person who organizes or participate in a public assembly without permission from an on-duty police supervisor commits an offence.

Misdemeanor - liable $6,000 maximum fine.​

Reaction score
Every protest in PERP that I have witnessed ended in a riot or other forms of violence. I feel as though the PLPD may not really know what to do in the event of a protest, So if this law is to be introduced, crowd control equipment is vital.

Reaction score
Bjqo5sr.png

PARALAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
POLICING AND POLICY
Hello,

A law suggestion for this have been submitted to the Chiefs of Department for review. Feel free to discuss it and suggest changes

Suggested Law:
10.4 Unlawful Assembly
Any person who organizes or participate in a public assembly without permission from an on-duty police supervisor commits an offence.

Misdemeanor - liable $6,000 maximum fine.​

In my opinion, it should be worded as follows.

Any person who organizes or participates in a public assembly consisting of 4 or more people without permission from an on-duty police supervisor commits an offence. Permission for an assembly may be withdrawn retrospectively by an on-duty police supervisor. In the event of such a case, the assembled persons must disperse in line with any orders issued to them by LEOs.

There is no reason that small peaceful protests should be blanket banned. The extra bits also gives an explicit and specific power for supervisors to revoke this permission and for the protest to be dispersed.
[DOUBLEPOST=1498406914,1491241285][/DOUBLEPOST]Accepted for consideration by the council.

Reaction score
The majority of the attendance of the 5th City Council Meeting has voted for the implementation of this law suggestion. The law will soon be in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.