Looking for a midi/USB keyboard

Reaction score
So, I recently got the urge to play a bit of piano. The problem is: the piano in our house is in the living room, and it's loud (shocker).

That's why I've been looking for a midi/usb keyboard to hook up to my pc and play. I'm looking at an Alesis Q49 right now, but if you guys have any suggestions, then I'd like to hear them

Reaction score
Anything from Roland or Alesis is an absolute Shout, Yamaha are also another good suggestion.

I'm a guitarist tho so my knowledge on keyboards is limited.

Reaction score
Or you can just use https://virtualpiano.net/
It's actually a lot of fun and I thoroughly enjoy it :)

Why are you thinking of getting something to plug into your PC? Have you looked at getting an entry level 76 key keyboard piano and just sticking headphones into it?
I personally prefer the large natural feel of it apposed to having to change what key im in and stuff with the pc but that's up to you I suppose :)

Reaction score
Matters how much you are willing to spend. Do you want stuff like weighted keys, touch-sensitive keys and how many do you want/need?
Fyi, a normal piano has 88 keys, your Alesis Q49 has 49 keys. If you want to play actual piano songs, I'd suggest you get at least a 76 key keyboard. If you want to get as close to a real piano as possible, get a keyboard with 88 weighted, touch-sensitive keys. If you want more info, hit me up.

Reaction score
Why are you thinking of getting something to plug into your PC? Have you looked at getting an entry level 76 key keyboard piano and just sticking headphones into it?
I really want something kind of portable, so I can use it with my laptop and my desktop. I also want to record and mix with it, and I imagine that's easier with a MIDI keyboard.

Matters how much you are willing to spend. Do you want stuff like weighted keys, touch-sensitive keys and how many do you want/need?
Fyi, a normal piano has 88 keys, your Alesis Q49 has 49 keys. If you want to play actual piano songs, I'd suggest you get at least a 76 key keyboard. If you want to get as close to a real piano as possible, get a keyboard with 88 weighted, touch-sensitive keys.
I just want to play songs that are relatively light on the amount of octaves used, so I don't really need a lot of keys. I only really need semi-weighted keys, and the Q49 seems to already have touch-sensitivity

Reaction score
You may think 49 keys might be fine, but I still would get a 76 keys one. Even with my 61 keys keyboard, I am not quite happy as I can not play the most of the songs. If you want to go professional and/or play the piano alone (as primary instrument), I really would suggest getting a touch-sensitive 76 key keyboard. If you can or want to change the sounds on your program and not on your keyboard and have 219 € to spend solely for the keyboard, this might be something for you: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_sp_320.htm (88 keys, USB output etc.)
Don't forget to a potential keyboard stand

Reaction score
You may think 49 keys might be fine, but I still would get a 76 keys one. Even with my 61 keys keyboard, I am not quite happy as I can not play the most of the songs. If you want to go professional and/or play the piano alone (as primary instrument), I really would suggest getting a touch-sensitive 76 key keyboard. If you can or want to change the sounds on your program and not on your keyboard and have 219 € to spend solely for the keyboard, this might be something for you: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_sp_320.htm (88 keys, USB output etc.)
Don't forget to a potential keyboard stand
I am not going to be using the keyboard as my main instrument, as I've already played drums for about 7 years now, so I don't nned or want an actual keyboard with speakers or 88 keys. I'll just be using my keyboard on my desk, so I just need something small.