police death timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
please read the lower responses regarding changing this suggestion to a blacklist suggestion that is applied to consistent NLR breakers. This blacklist would change a 5 minute respawn timer with NLR to a 10 minute respawn timer with no NLR

Description of the idea
: Police death time to be 10 minutes. NLR timer would not exist for police officers.

Why should this be added? (pros):
Police will not be able to return to shootouts early "accidentally"
Officers will not be able to wait in the PD while a raid is at slums and take in radio callout information
Officers will not be able to see life alerts and act on them during their NLR time
Officers will respect their life more and fear death.

What negatives could this have? (cons):
Longer respawn times are boring
Reduced police presence

Other additions:
I get that a lot of people may be skeptical, but police don't have much at all to lose by dying. However, I think this should be accompanied by readding head armor for TFOs - that's another can of worms not really to be discussed here

The 10-minute death timer was a thing back in 2013 for all players, this also lists benefits; https://perpheads.com/threads/death.296/page-3#posts

The more undesirable death is, the more realistically people will play to avoid it.

Will help to prevent people from driving recklessly, because of the increased risk of death.

Will make people care more about dying, rather than just what weapons they'll lose.

Will help to prevent people from doing dangerous and life-threatening things without proper consideration/planning.

Will prevent people from 'finishing-off' their friends so that they spawn more quickly, which is against the rules.

This idea would also coincide with the body bag ideas where the current plan is to have corpses stay around for longer.

Will help prevent people from breaking the New Life Rule, NLR; specifically, the aspect where you are not allowed to return/re-join to the place/the situation which involved your death, for at least 10 minutes.

This would be particularly helpful when killing Police officers within the Police Department when breaking someone out of jail, for example; this is currently a problem because when a Police officer dies, they will re-spawn inside the Police Department, which can be very problematic; this idea/suggestion prevents this from being a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No. Just no. I already hate dying 5 times every hour and having to waste time just staring at a black screen for most of my time. Just keep NLR and keep it at 5 minutes, ez.

Reaction score
10 mins of no paycheck? no chance mate.
10 minutes is a lot of time to just sit, you can do other shit in the 5 minutes of NLR. this seems like its just to stop cops breaking nlr when theres a big raid and they die, what about the time they just die cause some idiot ran them over?

Reaction score
this is a terrible idea. you don't die solely from shootouts as an officer; there are a whole load of other ways of dying that would make this idea a chore

Reaction score
I understand all of the responses here.

An extension of this idea would be to make it so this is a form of a blacklist. People who break NLR regularly can have blacklists put on their respawn time, making it so they have to be dead for the entire 10 minutes rather than having the NLR timer

Reaction score
I understand all of the responses here.

An extension of this idea would be to make it so this is a form of a blacklist. People who break NLR regularly can have blacklists put on their respawn time, making it so they have to be dead for the entire 10 minutes rather than having the NLR timer

Personally I think staff have got NLR monitored a lot and even if someone breaks it they are one hit. Overall a blacklist could probably help if someone regularly breaks NLR but definitely not on all police.

Reaction score
Personally I think staff have got NLR monitored a lot and even if someone breaks it they are one hit. Overall a blacklist could probably help if someone regularly breaks NLR but definitely not on all police.
I agree, it's probably worth me making another suggestion.

rat

Reaction score

U can break nlr without going back to the zone where u died :)

Reaction score
This would honestly discourage me from playing cop and most likely others too, meaning that the PLPD will slowly die out and bringing a huge buff to playing as a criminal as rewarding as it currently is. As mentioned as well as other good points made, what if your death was over something so minor and you'd have to wait those 10 minutes? 5 minutes is enough and a time everyone has been used to for years. IMO the cons heavily outweigh the pros in your suggestion.

Reaction score
I really disagree with this idea. Nobody wants to wait 10 minutes on a black screen to respawn. Cops die enough as it is and this would only result in less people being interested in playing cop as Clarky mentioned, myself potentially included. I understand there are sometimes issues with cops breaking NLR in situations but I think with this suggestion, the negatives outweigh the benefits. Civilians do the exact thing in huge shootouts (will die, respawn, go straight to storage for a gun and drive back), likely taking in info over org chat/TS, so I think it's unfair to only give it to cops.

Reaction score
Police will not be able to return to shootouts early "accidentally"
Does this not apply to civs as well? Especially in organisation-based raids, it's far too easy to keep officers in a standoff long enough for your dead friends to return to the shootout.

Officers will not be able to wait in the PD while a raid is at slums and take in radio callout information
This is not the only thing that officers do during NLR? NLR only prevents officers from using information from their previous life and interacting with the events that lead up to their death.

Officers will not be able to see life alerts and act on them during their NLR time
This is already in effect with the <Message hid from near your death position> message for radio comms, but 911 calls are still under that umbrella of NLR info.

Officers will respect their life more and fear death.
Officers almost always die more often than their civilian counterparts, often over the stupidest of reasons that they have little control over. The only thing this will do is make police even more hesitant than they already are - not to mention that this also applies to civilians.

Do not support this suggestion.

Reaction score
Does this not apply to civs as well? Especially in organisation-based raids, it's far too easy to keep officers in a standoff long enough for your dead friends to return to the shootout.

This is not the only thing that officers do during NLR? NLR only prevents officers from using information from their previous life and interacting with the events that lead up to their death.

This is already in effect with the <Message hid from near your death position> message for radio comms, but 911 calls are still under that umbrella of NLR info.

Officers almost always die more often than their civilian counterparts, often over the stupidest of reasons that they have little control over. The only thing this will do is make police even more hesitant than they already are - not to mention that this also applies to civilians.

Do not support this suggestion.
Read the top of the paragraph in the suggestion. All your points are valid

Reaction score
The issue with people breaking NLR isn’t just cops and as a matter of fact the majority of NLR breaks I’ve witnessed as Moderator are civilians.

Increasing death timer for cops will just further encourage people to loiter around their crime scenes.

Reaction score
Denied.

However I would be interested a fleshed out idea of “death screen extensions” for repeated violations of 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.