Server slots.

Thread starter #1
Main idea:

Simply lower the player count to either 60 or 70.

Description:

When I first joined Perp in 2014 it was on 60 slots and the server would get roughly the same amount of players as now, maybe slightly more and it was perfectly good for roleplay, you never felt like the server was empty. Now the point of this would be to attract newer players as when you look at a server list if a server has 60/80 or 60/60 you would be more attracted to the fuller server. It still has the same amount of players but it looks more popular. The server rarely hits 80 now a days if at all and honestly this might just make the server feel more alive.

Pros:
- More incitement for newer players to join.
- Improved FPS
- Server feels less dead due to it actually being full rather than 3/4 full.

Cons:
- Harder to join.
- Definitely need to rework PD slots.

Inspired by: https://perpheads.com/threads/how-can-we-revive.33774/page-9#post-220231 the post by @MoronPipllyd

- More incitement for newer players to join.
Can you explain this? I don't understand how lowering the player count will get new people to join.
- Server feels less dead due to it actually being full rather than 3/4 full.
Also, I disagree with this. Sure the server will be "full" more often but there is still the same amount of players and the same quantity of RP going on.

Thread starter #3
Can you explain this? I don't understand how lowering the player count will get new people to join.

Also, I disagree with this. Sure the server will be "full" more often but there is still the same amount of players and the same quantity of RP going on.
If you're looking for a new server then you are going to join the server that has the highest proportional player count. Think about it like this if you're looking for a server that has a good amount of players are you going to join the one that has 100% of it's slots filled or the server with 75% of it's slots filled?

Also it will feel more "full" as instead of noticing there is 20 slots spare you will notice that it's full. It's hard to explain but it's not the main point anyway. It could just be my personal feelings.

Now apply that logic to a server with 20 players, and a server with 100 players.

If the server with 20 players is full and a server with 100 players is 50% full, then clearly the 20 player server is better.

You see why your logic is flawed?

The server is always full on events and updates, decreasing the slots would make this worse. Not having full slots is a great thing because it means little old billy on the server browser can actually connect instead of waiting 30 minutes on auto reconnect like i had to do every time anything is actually happening on the server

The only positive I see from this idea is it might give us a reason to bring back the queue server. Lowering the slots just to make the server look like its more active than it is wouldn't change a thing about the active player base. I see what you mean though, I just don't believe the idea will be the solution to the "problem"