Steam Disk Write Error

Reaction score
Hello Guys!

So, for the second time, I'm experiencing my gmod removing the file "hl2.exe" once again so I can't open up the game. When I try to verify game files, it says I'm missing a few files and it will fix it however. When it does, it says "File Disk Write Error", I have no clue how to fix it, I've searched up online, and contacted steam support and nothing seems to work.

I've tried fixing maximum permissions for everything, and again nothing seems to really work. So I'm seeking out here, hoping someone has experience with this and can hep me, thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've made a failure diagnostics or whatever you call it, on both my hard drives, and it found nothing.

Reaction score
Steam acted very weird when I installed GMOD on my C drive instead of my D drive. Try reinstalling on another drive and possibly Steam as well?
Could also be your antivirus, try disabling it first.

Reaction score
Btw this has been solved, my Hard Drivers was apparently broken or something wrong with, @Creepis Helped me fix this cause he's a legend.

Reaction score
I made a chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f with guidance from Creepis, and it worked. I reinstalled the game and switched drivers several times. It only worked first time switching drivers.

Reaction score
I didn't know that's what you meant ;-; didn't even know that it was a thing ;-;

Reaction score
I downloaded a program to make a diagnostics with the drivers and that found nothing.