User vs Player

Reaction score
Why are ban reasons listed as "user"?
We're playing a game, so would "player" be a better term to use for what we do on the server? I don't know why but it bothers me seeing "user" be used when "player" would seem more contextual.

"I use the PERPheads server" sounds like it's a service of some sort, like a product, where as "I play on PERPheads server" sounds like it would make more sense.

Anyone else bothered by this, or just me?

Reaction score
You become a user when you get banned because you cannot be a player since you cannot play
but what are you using, if you can't interact with the server? did that once make you a player, or a user? it doesn't make any sense.

Reaction score
Both "user" and "player" are used when issuing punishments, it just depends on who the staff member is. In this context, they mean the same thing. By definition, a user is a person who uses/operates something - "someone who uses a product, machine, or service". This would be applicable on PERP, where a "user" uses the service provided to them (PERPHeads serves its players a customised gamemode of Garry's Mod) for their own enjoyment, and they are a "user" of said service/server (which is also defined with a service - "a computer or computer program which manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network").

Honestly, it's not worth being technical about. It's just personal preference from the staff member who is punishing a player/user as to what they want to refer to them as; both are perfectly acceptable.

Reaction score
Just use what ever lol, 'user' sounds more formal and fancier to me than 'player' so ultimately it's up to the staff member on what they feel like using. The same reason why we address people as 'clients' and not 'patients' in my work field, it sounds more formal (plus saying patient just makes it sound like they're ill).

Reaction score
dude what? who’s going through the entire ban list and picking out ban reasons that include either, it’s not that deep. as you’re an ex mod, just use your judgement @MiniRaze and pick the one you would’ve used as a staff member.