Add burgulary to terminology

Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law:

Addition to terminology

What law do you wish to change/add:
Adding this to Terminology:
"Burgulary: The act of breaking into or otherwise gaining unlawful entry to a building with intent of stealing or causing bodily harm to its occupants"

Why should this change/addition be made:
In some countries burgulary also refers to cars and the likes, which is causing confusion in law even amongst police supervisors and staff.

What is the aim of this change/addition:

Self explanatory in the above statement.

Additional Information:
None

Reaction score
This seems pointless when 11.5 already states what constitutes a burglary. The word property is used, which is already in the terminology section, which defines it as only physical buildings and the area surrounding them (for example the front garden of a large Suburbs house) and property does not mean possessions. If you trespass and then steal a vehicle (from a driveway for example), you have met the criteria to form a burglary as you have entered part of a property (the driveway or garage is part of this) with the intention to commit theft.

11.5 Burglary
Any person who enters a property or any part of a property with the intention to commit theft, cause unlawful damage or to inflict unlawful serious injury.
Property definition
Property is the area in or around the building itself as defined by the deed held by the banks of Paralake City.

Examples of what is a burglary involving cars within the Penal Code:
  • Stealing a vehicle from a garage
  • Stealing a vehicle from a driveway
  • Stealing a vehicle from the front lawn or anywhere within the property bounds, such as within the bounds of the gate at Glass Co or in the back garden of Subs 1.

Examples of what isn't a burglary involving cars within the Penal Code:
  • Stealing a vehicle from a public car park
  • Stealing a vehicle on the side of a road
  • Stealing a vehicle from any public area
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, I suspect you are referring to people charging for burglary for simply stealing a vehicle from a public car park, for example. If this is the case, this is just officers misinterpreting the law, as it is already clear enough that it only amounts to burglary if it is within the area in or around the building itself.

Reaction score
Burglary is already defined under 11.5 as Hayden said. I don't agree that it leaves much to interoperate. It's very clear, to me at least. I am not in support of this.

• Old
Reactions: A1L