Model Suggestion Make burnt bodies completely unrecognizable.

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Make burnt bodies completely unrecognizable.
Suggestion Description: When set on fire after some time corpses should switch their model to one of the burnt/charred corpse models that are already present in Garry's mod. I also think when you right click with your fists out on a burnt corpse it shouldn't show the person's name.

Why should this be added?:
- Realism

What negatives could this have?:
- Might be a bit too gory for some people that are a bit squeamish.
- Just extra work for the developers for a thing that's not really a problem

What problem would this suggestion solve?: I always though it was unrealistic how I could recognize the burnt corpse but couldn't get any DNA off them.

Useful Images:

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1 for genocideRP and witch-huntingRP

Anyway, I think it should be accepted but with the condition of only happening after a certain amount of time burning. A body that has been burning for only 1 minute isn't going to be charred beyond recognition.

This would also help address the gore factor because it will make seeing such terrible bodies more rare, and can be used by criminals to RP extreme violence.

In response to the reply below, I think 10 minutes would be good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1 for genocideRP and witch-huntingRP

Anyway, I think it should be accepted but with the condition of only happening after a certain amount of time burning. A body that has been burning for only 1 minute isn't going to be charred beyond recognition.

This would also help address the gore factor because it will make seeing such terrible bodies more rare, and can be used by criminals to RP extreme violence.
Thank you for the support, and I agree with you completely. After doing a little bit of research I found out that the body would need to burn about 10-20 minutes for this amount of charring and for the bodies without the limbs it would take ~50 minutes in real life, but I think that's a bit too long.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Every time I see a burnt corpse in Gmod, it reminds me the burnt corpse from HL2 was an actual corpse.

So -trauma but +realism.

GP

Reaction score
I was planning on doing this but Boris told me the story about it being a real corpse, which made me uncomfortable about using the texture. My plan was simple, if the DNA was removed by fire, change the model.

I wasn't sure about removing the person's name as that need a bit more thought, and I decided to postpone that change for a future, hypothetical DNA toolgun-related update (Investigation Update).

Reaction score
I was planning on doing this but Boris told me the story about it being a real corpse, which made me uncomfortable about using the texture. My plan was simple, if the DNA was removed by fire, change the model.

I wasn't sure about removing the person's name as that need a bit more thought, and I decided to postpone that change for a future, hypothetical DNA toolgun-related update (Investigation Update).
i mean the citizen faces are scans of people , and blowing them to smithereens isnt too bad

Reaction score
This should replace the current DNA tool
the crazy thing is I actually know how to do this so I personally wouldn't mind. :hilarious:

qlhDVFhEQbucwk0cHhz4Fg.png

too easy

Reaction score
I can barely finishing DNAing the body as is, before the next shootout starts
maybe a more passive approach to investigation and DNA instead of instant results can work?

There is down time between shootouts that can be used instead of the minutes between getting from A to B so you have more of a spread out timeline of work to do.

That's only this model
uOokyMcbSreFYVG1g_ql_A.png

So the models shown in the original post afaik are not related to any real death.

That said, I get that respecting the dead is important but where does the line get drawn? @MaverickRat has a point. Real people getting shot or an already dead person being used to represent an event, it's all insensitive to those sets of morals but it's not exactly intentionally offensive it's just using what we've got ;in regards to assets; to make a fun experience for the community. If something triggers or offends somebody on this game then they're more than free to not play it, meanwhile the community itself has spoken as shown by the sheer amount of upvotes regarding how this feature is actually wanted because of how cool it is.

Reaction score
maybe a more passive approach to investigation and DNA instead of instant results can work?

There is down time between shootouts that can be used instead of the minutes between getting from A to B so you have more of a spread out timeline of work to do.
It's not really an instant result and already takes a lot if you have to DNA 3 bodies... Also I haven't had downtime in the last month inbetween shotouts...

That's only this model
uOokyMcbSreFYVG1g_ql_A.png

So the models shown in the original post afaik are not related to any real death.

That said, I get that respecting the dead is important but where does the line get drawn? @MaverickRat has a point. Real people getting shot or an already dead person being used to represent an event, it's all insensitive to those sets of morals but it's not exactly intentionally offensive it's just using what we've got ;in regards to assets; to make a fun experience for the community. If something triggers or offends somebody on this game then they're more than free to not play it, meanwhile the community itself has spoken as shown by the sheer amount of upvotes regarding how this feature is actually wanted because of how cool it is.
I agree with the asset part. It's just a very uncomfortable feeling after I learnt that fact.

That being said... We could mitigate the "gore" by giving users the option to opt out. Or providing a separate addon that removes details as such. There's already addons on the workshop that replace this texture for that specific reason. The addon manages to make it more creepy somehow though.

Valve at least didn't use his full face... The real guy still had his right eye in the image... The image is originally from a medical book (or so I heard).

But thanks for pointing it out. I mixed up the "hobo" guy and the burnt bodies.

Reaction score
It's not really an instant result and already takes a lot if you have to DNA 3 bodies... Also I haven't had downtime in the last month inbetween shotouts...
I mean instead of taking DNA from every single body individually. You can take a “sample” from one fairly quickly then if you go to the hospital, you can ask the NPC to examine it for you. Kinda like you’re dropping off all the samples for it to be done for you passively in the same time frame it would’ve taken for you to dna literally every single body.

Alternatively you can use the DNA tool gun for a prolonged but immediate result.

Reaction score

That’s Corpse01, something we already have in the server every Halloween, not the charred body in the suggestion.