Server Suggestion Make cars penetratable

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Make cars penetratable
Suggestion Description: Instead of cars being bullet sponges and basically armour for anyone whos in them, you can headtap someone out of the car or be able to shoot through the car doors/windshield

Why should this be added?:
- People can no longer use cars as shield, removes any amount of "window banging" as players cant use the interior of their car as a bullet sponge (the process of sitting inside of your car and talking shit to other people)

What negatives could this have?:
- Players might accidently aim to kill instead of aim to disable a vehicle/someone.

What problem would this suggestion solve?: People staying in cars or driving away in cars during robberies knowing that they cant be shot while inside.

I don’t agree with this as cars are very easy to break when being shot especially with snipers so there isn’t any point as once your car is broken you can be kill ejected

Last edited:
This is a bad idea, this is why we have staff members: to enforce rules given.
If someone who doesn't follow orders while under gunpoint, it's 3.4 and are subject to punishment.
Making cars "penetrable" would make life so much harder for not only cops but crims too.
Currently the only way to stop a car without pitting and spike strips is shooting.
Shooting = damage = death when you're trying to get crims to stop in their tracks and try to arrest them.

+1 This is actually a good idea however maybe we should only make the windows penetratable to everything and car doors only penetratable to assault rifles and snipers.

edit: nvm I'm a bit stupid, this isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea, and it would stop people from using ferraris as their personal armored vehicles in shootouts!

Unfortunately its not something trivial to do tho.

Relatively obscure / unknown fact of the day: Several cars already are.

This is a bad idea, this is why we have staff members: to enforce rules given.
If someone who doesn't follow orders while under gunpoint, it's 3.4 and are subject to punishment.
Making cars "penetrable" would make life so much harder for not only cops but crims too.
Currently the only way to stop a car without pitting and spike strips is shooting.
Shooting = damage = death when you're trying to get crims to stop in their tracks and try to arrest them.
I don’t agree with this as cars are very easy to break when being shot especially with snipers
Heres my rebuttle, Billie as you say it would make life so much harder for cops, so why not make it where you can only damage someone if you shoot their windshield, The windshield has "HP" after a couple shots it breaks ( applies to any window on the cars) which allows for players to be damaged if they are shot through the broken windshield, it also isnt hard to have some sort of recoil control and most cops use Pistols or shotguns and are almost always close range with the car so there isnt any excuse of "I accidently killed him" Because as Lhealy stated, the cars are very easy to break and thats something I agree with myself, so cops can simply DISABLE the car with a couple shots to a vital part like the engine or trunk, and shoot the windshield if the player is a threat to them(alongside disabling the vehicle)

TL;DR instead of making a whole car penatratable, lets make the windshields pentratable with a health system that after a couple shots the windshield breaks allowing for the players inside to get shot through the windshield and the cops to disable the cars with shots to the engine or doors or trunks.

This is a bad idea, this is why we have staff members:
The thing here is that in a sitiuation you are not going to f6 "Player broke 3.6" instead, your gonna be worried about fleeing the situation or killing the person who you just shot at in fear they will snitch on you.

edit: nvm I'm a bit stupid, this isn't a good idea.
How is this a bad idea? Whats your two cents, what can be fixed what is wrong with my suggestion, Etcera. I want to have some feedback so we can maybe redo, or REWORD this suggestion because, all in all its really not a bad suggestion and actually has more positives then negatives in my opinion.

Heres my rebuttle, Billie as you say it would make life so much harder for cops, so why not make it where you can only damage someone if you shoot their windshield,
1) What you've said requires a vehicle overhaul to make this happen, which it won't cause that takes up too much time.
The windshield has "HP" after a couple shots it breaks ( applies to any window on the cars) which allows for players to be damaged if they are shot through the broken windshield, it also isnt hard to have some sort of recoil control and most cops use Pistols or shotguns and are almost always close range with the car so there isnt any excuse of "I accidently killed him" Because as Lhealy stated, the cars are very easy to break and thats something I agree with myself, so cops can simply DISABLE the car with a couple shots to a vital part like the engine or trunk, and shoot the windshield if the player is a threat to them(alongside disabling the vehicle
2) What about As50's, will the window break and kill the player or will the window break and not kill the player?
The thing here is that in a sitiuation you are not going to f6 "Player broke 3.6" instead, your gonna be worried about fleeing the situation or killing the person who you just shot at in fear they will snitch on you.
3) What you've said is actually a rule break, killing someone to avoid being called out by civilians is 2.5.
If it's the players fault that they didn't instantly exit the car because of 3.4 and you die because of said action, you are viable for a refund as it was a direct result of a rule break.

Maybe read up on the rules before you speak bud.

Anyone who says this is a bad idea is wrong, the issue is that gmod vehicles, or hl2 vehicles were never coded that way, so to register damage to players you'd have to mimic the damage of the bullets hitting the area of the car the player is in.

It's a similar issue to players being invincible while sitting on chairs.

It would be a bit odd for sure, but DrinkWater is correct about hitboxes. When a bullet enters a hitbox, it then does an expensive calculation to see if it's going to hit the physics model (in this case the car) and if it hits, then damage can be applied. If we have a hitbox under the chest category (let's say it's the car) and a hitbox under the head category (window area/players) it would be possible to do this. It's just a matter of how much work needs to go into it, and is it really worth it. Also, this isn't going to be accurate at all, like you'd see in grand theft auto games. Don't forget this is the source engine, and vehicles in source are shit.

It's possible but it would would take a lot of effort to code something that would end up looking quite messy.

3) What you've said is actually a rule break, killing someone to avoid being called out by civilians is 2.5.
  • Killing a player after mugging them because they’ve seen your identity.
This is against the rules, AFTER mugging THEM, if you kill someone because they didnt comply to your demands this doesnt count as a rulebreak, theres a difference between complying and not complying and being ignorant. Among this knowing the community of perpheads players, They will most likely kill you within those two hours they have to get revenge.
If it's the players fault that they didn't instantly exit the car because of 3.4 and you die because of said action, you are viable for a refund as it was a direct result of a rule break.
Even if they are at fault because they didnt instantly exit the vehicle and I died because of that, it doesnt matter to this suggestion, this suggestion is to make it where you can shoot through car windows to kill someone, not if they broke rules or bla bla, 3.4 is a rule that only covers one of the many situations that this could be useful in(Someone is activly not complying/fleeing in a car) But among this there are a multitude of situations that this suggestion could be a benefit in and not just robberies.

2) What about As50's, will the window break and kill the player or will the window break and not kill the player?

If your using a AS50 you have to take into account that you will be sniping someone with a 50 cal bullet from a couple meters away, And most likely the target will be a sitting duck, because there is no reason for you to use a AS50 in a moving car, In my opinion, i think the window show break and kill the player in terms of realisim, but however the developers and server owner wants to add this they should.

Back