8.5 - Loophole

Reaction score
What law do you wish to Edit/Add: 8.5 -
The aiding of a criminal, other than providing medical assistance, is a criminal offence.

Your version of the law:

8.5: Providing assistance to anyone under detainment, arrest or warrant for arrest with clear unobstructed evidence against him including trying to attempt an escape plan for the persons under arrest or taking drastic measures to ensure the persons is undetected from a LEO. This excludes co-operation with the Law Enforcement to legally find a way to resolve the issue or have someone speak for you for example a Lawyer or Public Defence Secretary.

P.S I don't really know a better way to edit it atm as I'm tired as fuck so if anyone can post any suggestions please do so!

ITS BASICALLY AGAINST THE LAW TO BE A LAWYER

Last edited:

MattIs

It should be - 8.5: Providing assistance to anyone under detainment, arrest or warrant for arrest with clear unobstructed evidence against him including trying to attempt an escape plan for the persons under arrest or taking drastic measures to ensure the persons is undetected from a LEO. This excludes co-operation with the Law Enforcement to legally find a way to resolve the issue or have someone speak for you for example a Lawyer or Public Defence Secretary.

Reaction score
Lawyers are generally an excuse to raid. Personally, I don't allow lawyers to see their clients as there's no provision for it under the law and from a realism point of view, lawyers would not be required at this stage in the process. I know that yes, the police do decide how long you go in for but in actuality this should be roleplayed as simply being placed into a holding cell or being remanded in custody until you can be dealt with by a court. Obviously this isn't true but it's still perfectly possible to RP it like this and it nicely prevents the admission of any sneaky sneaky "lawyers".
My worry is that the amendment suggested would in effect provide a legal right to a lawyer when being arrested. Here's some of the problems that I see with it
  • Lawyers have no extra training and are not required to prove their knowledge of the law before acting as such. It's not a "job" and is only RP'd as one. This is perfectly fine but you can't tell me that having lawyers add to RP when they don't have a clue about the law.
  • They're simply not worth the time. By the time you've got the detainee into the interview rooms, arranged to contact his lawyer, met the lawyer, searched them because you're 100% sure that they're a raider, arrested them for bringing a beretta into the PD with which they planned to kill you and set your prisoner free, arranged for a legit lawyer to represent both of them, met them, searched them, explained the situation and found a resolution there's been 5 bank robberies and a gang war.
  • It's just a ploy to annoy officers or waste time. Whenever i've seen lawyers being used they haven't actually added anything. They literally just quote irrelevant laws or just argue without having any actual understanding. When this fails they body block the door and call for their org to come shoot up the PD.
So whilst it would be nice to have lawyers, with the way PERP is at the moment and the current legal system it would be incredibly stupid to add the provision for them under the law.

Reaction score
JG7zFbC.png

PARALAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
LAW REFORM
I personally feel that it should be up to the arresting officers discretion if they would like the detainee to have representation. I usually do not allow it unless I know the person roleplaying as a solicitor/lawyer are actually there to be a lawyer. I kind of incorporated all of your ideas and put it into one, what do you think? (Legal representation isn't included in the law, legal rep would be excluded)

New law:

8.5 Aiding & Abetting

Providing assistance (assistance being but not necessarily limited to the following; advice, action, financial support) to anyone under detainment, arrest or warrant for arrest other than providing medical assistance is a criminal offence.

Reaction score
JG7zFbC.png

PARALAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
LAW REFORM
I personally feel that it should be up to the arresting officers discretion if they would like the detainee to have representation. I usually do not allow it unless I know the person roleplaying as a solicitor/lawyer are actually there to be a lawyer. I kind of incorporated all of your ideas and put it into one, what do you think? (Legal representation isn't included in the law, legal rep would be excluded)

New law:

sound mate

Reaction score
Thing is that they are a criminal when proven guilty, so you are allowed to be their lawyer as long as police don't have any solid evidence as explained under 10.4

Reaction score
If this gets accepted and my licensing agency idea gets the highest votes, I'll make a license specifically to be a lawyer.

Reaction score
Accepted, the law will be updated:
  • 8.5 Aiding & Abetting

Providing assistance (assistance being but not necessarily limited to the following; advice, action, financial support) to anyone under detainment, arrest or warrant for arrest other than providing medical assistance is a criminal offence.