Arrhenius Equation

M

Reaction score
A2 Inorganic Chemistry
A few notes I've made on Arrhenius.

Arrhenius Equation

Exponential relationship between the rate constant (k) for a reaction and temperature.

Determining Activation Energy (Ea) from experimental data
This relationship can be used to determine Ea graphically.

Experimental data containing the value of k at various temperatures can be plotted as ln(k) against 1/T in Kelvin to produce a linear function with negative gradient. The gradient shall be equal to -(Ea)/R where R is the molar gas constant (R = 8.314 J mol^-1 K^-1), so by rearranging, the activation energy for a reaction (in J) can be calculated.

TL;DR
fLXcoQ0.png

rat

Reaction score
Not going to lie, further maths is better.

Keep your arenian equation, I'll keep my calculus from first principles and my delicious radians.

Reaction score
If this is chemistry, I'll stick with Physics thanks.

Physics consists of a load of maths and problem solving, both of the things I like and understand

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
A2 Inorganic Chemistry

Arrhenius Equation

Exponential relationship between the rate constant (k) for a reaction and temperature.

Experimental data containing the value of k at various temperatures can be plotted as ln(k) against 1/T in Kelvin to produce a linear function with negative gradient. The gradient shall be equal to -(Ea)/R where R is the molar gas constant (R = 8.314 J mol^-1 K^-1), so by rearranging, the activation energy for a reaction (in J) can be calculated.

TL;DR
fLXcoQ0.png

If this is chemistry, I'll stick with Physics thanks.

Physics consists of a load of maths and problem solving, both of the things I like and understand

Are you serious? 99% of this is physics and maths. Having to rearrange the equation y=mx+c with a straight line graph to make a new equation is physics. You can be asked this in most physics topics that i'm doing and i have to use it in my practical work. Only thing that's different is what each term means.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A2 Inorganic Chemistry

Arrhenius Equation

TL;DR
fLXcoQ0.png

Yes

Reaction score
Explain this again, but use some drugs examples instead of those graphs and you'll get 80% more people that'll understand this.