Family History

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date

Deleted member 1235

So I was thinking. The majority of people from this community are under the age of 20 or so and are quite young. This would mean that hopefully many of us have/had rather elderly grandparents.

I created this thread so we can share some of the stories or facts from our grandparents which may be pretty cool or interesting :).

My Great Uncle was a US Air-force General (Or some other really high rank I can;t remember) in WW2 and served in Africa and Western Europe and when he liberated a Concentration camp in '45 he came across stolen art and took a painting home with him to America, then England. In the 70's the paining was stolen by a German man down out street according to my dad. Sods law I suppose.

My Grandpa decided to join the army at the end of WW2 thinking it would be a clean breeze now the war was over and ended up being sent to Palestine. After he finished there he join the Met police in the 50's and was present and Winston Churchill's funereal.

Not much I know but hopefully some other people have some interesting stories about their family that they could share :3

Trande

My family haunts a little village called Prahovo in Serbia since the middle ages, according to my grand-father. We had a book with our family history which sadly got lost after he died, maybe someone will find it. Anyway, the only story I know is about one of my grand-grandfathers getting killed by nazis in 1943. He tried to protect the village and paid the ultimate price. My father grew up in communist Yugoslavia, and even met Tito! He decided to move to Germany with 17 and started working as talent scout for singers from Serbia etc. Later on he opened disco's in Munich and Ulm. He closed them somewhere around 2002. Isn't much more I know.

Reaction score
its like i live in the toilet the way i be shittin
I have amazing family history. My grandmother died, therefore grandpa married anotehr woman. They moved to Bulgaria together, and I never saw them again, except on skype etc. My father likes to get drunk, and call me on skype while he's drunk. So, I visit my irl friend and bring my computer, he calls me and me and my friend just rofls as he ask what what my name is 3+ times. After that he falls off his chair and hangs up.

ayy lmao

Reaction score
During the second world war if you were Italian you had to make an hard decision:
  1. Being a good citizens, but working as a soldier for Mussolini (and Hitler);
  2. Being a Partigiano: defending the Allies but saw as a criminal from the Italian governament.
So one of my Grandpa became a soldier to be then taken as prisoner by Americans, he lived in America for quite long working in the prison as a cook. Fortunately he came back to Italy alive and married my Grandma who had been waiting him for all the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since both of my grandpa's (Mom's dad and father's dad) died at my very young age, and I've not really been told much about father's dad due to not seeing my father either, but well.

My Grandpa (Mom's dad = grandpa now lol) was sailor/captain or something in the Danish Royal-Ship Dannebrog, serving the royalty there plus being captain on another ship for quite a while. http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongeskibet_Dannebrog

Besides of his carrieer of that, he also served the Queen of Denmark as a guard with those big weird hats. I have no information about his ranks in either of these carieers, however they were quite decent I heard. http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Kongelige_Livgarde

I don't know if I have anything additional to say ;)

Reaction score
My grand mother was a mucho important person in world war II. Her name was anna and she hid behind some closet or something because she was a jew and she started writing diaries. (not meant to be racist or anything against jews)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a big family history in Ireland which began with a Chinese Servant/Butler (My great-great grandfather), he travelled to Ireland with his employer as they were very rich importers, and Ireland was a good port for moving supplies to England. He got very involved in the culture there and fell in love with it, he stayed there and started a new life, which led to a huge family... The Gallaghers (duh duh duuuun). The Gallaghers are probably one of the biggest famiy names in Britain even today. Anyway...

He lived a reasonably normal life, as we assume, there wasn't much told about him after that.

We then move to 20th century Ireland, many of the men I mention here are still alive and I have met.
Around 1930-1960 the Sharkey's Bar is opened (My mother's maiden name). This is then related to the Gallaghers after the marriage of my Grandparents (Still alive today), this has led to a big alliance, as both the Sharkeys and The Gallaghers were very big, diverse families, speaking of. If you have ever heard of the Gallagher Family, you will know MY Personal Mafia/Bodyguards (yay Josh is the new Marlon Brando).

Moving on to my uncles, they are interesting characters. My Uncle Hugo; It was always a rumor and was only confirmed after his house was broken into by a few thugs (who had the intent of killing him, they both got bullets into them, but were not killed), after being asked if he knew who they were, he explained that he was involved with the Irish Republican Army during the fight for Irish independence, so he was basically a terrorist...
My Uncle Tony (stereotypical mafia name); Speaking of the Mafia, Tony was big time, forget the Gallaghers, after his trip to America, he was involved in the New York Mafia, a cliche Italian-American organization, he was known simply as their driver, but we don't know to what extent.

Well there is a lot more (on my father's side there is a huge military background dating back to the Independence war in America), but I would be here forever if I listed any more, hope you enjoyed my badass heritage.

P.S. Don't mess with me or you will meet both the Gallagher and the American Mafia.