Fix Courier Warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Discussion Post: https://perpheads.com/threads/fix-courier-warehouse.31835/

Main idea: Remove the ramp outside the courier warehouse door or make the building larger.

Description: In the next version of Paralake City, the courier warehouse needs to be fixed. Right now, the current delivery truck cannot fit inside of the warehouse, and when you park it in front of the door to load packages, regardless of handbrake, it will roll down the slope. If you were to either allow the truck to drive into the building by replacing the door with a larger one, or you were to simply remove the ramp so we could throw packages down into the truck from the door,

Pros:
-Decreases courier loading time
-Improves quality of life for courier who has to chase their truck to get it back up to keep loading
-Does not require drastic changes of the map or code
-Will make more sense as the truck can go into the warehouse when not in use

Cons:
-Requires a map edit

Reaction score
Its pretty simple to make this small edit in Hammer, This is a good idea.

Reaction score
Its pretty simple to make this small edit in Hammer, This is a good idea.
Take into consideration, Xq need to load the map into Hammer, Edit it, and then render it again and upload it again to the workshop. I do say it is not worth to do so for such a small edit.

Reaction score
Take into consideration, Xq need to load the map into Hammer, Edit it, and then render it again and upload it again to the workshop. I do say it is not worth to do so for such a small edit.

Takes 2 minutes to load a map that size (Roughly) Its a small edit, Lowering the building and removing the ramp. Will take a few minutes to render.

On the other hand, I can see where you're coming from, probably not editing the map right now but on the next map update of some sort adding it then. Not really a thing needed to be added but If people are finding it difficult I don't see why not.

Reaction score
The point was to add this to the agenda of V6 whenever that'll be done :p, if that's not a plan for any point then maybe at some point process that, but it's not too urgent, but it gets very frustrating as you go along as a courier.

Reaction score
The point was to add this to the agenda of V6 whenever that'll be done
You’ll be waiting a while then...

Anyway this is a tiny feature in a massive map, I think the priority should be in making the map better not dealing with these tiny little things that are barely a problem. This is the first I have ever heard of this being mentioned meaning barely anyone knew/cared about it. I would say it was a waste of time to sort something so minor.

Reaction score
The most efficient way to actually do this is to list suggestions and do them all at once, so you're not constantly loading and compiling maps, a map of this size can easily take up to 10-30 minutes to compile, opening it doesn't take long but it's the compiling that's problematic.

@Riekelt might have some mapping knowledge IIRC, if not @Xquality could answer this for himself tbh.

Takes 2 minutes to load a map that size (Roughly) Its a small edit, Lowering the building and removing the ramp. Will take a few minutes to render.

You clearly haven't used hammer @Rhys :), it's a pain to work with when it's being difficult. Especially when compiling, just to test the changes.
I've been messing around with hammer myself and making several maps for my own entertainment, and I can safely say that if you don't construct the map correctly, you're going to have a hard time, especially when compiling.
Don't even get me started on displacement brushes, those in particular are a special kind of pain, standard brushes and level terrain is ezpz, but it's when you start to work with uneven terrain that it becomes difficult.

It would be easier to fix a bug in some code than to boot up hammer to instantaneousely remove this.
Either way, I stand my ground, if it's accepted then it'll be put on a list of things to do when XQ & crew feels that the map needs an update.

Reaction score

On the other hand, I can see where you're coming from, probably not editing the map right now but on the next map update of some sort adding it then. Not really a thing needed to be added but If people are finding it difficult I don't see why not.

Will take a few minutes to render.

It took a few years for the universe to come to it's current state.

This is Hammer we are talking about, a map editor that was originally created to modify small chunk-sized Half-Life 2 maps, which is pretty unstable on modern operating systems. Even if it's a small edit, with the current tools it can take a bit of work to take away the ramp and make it looks presentable.

Then's the "rendering", which I like to call compiling. You do not simply just re-render the part of the warehouse... you have to re-render the entire map. With a map on the scale of Paralake this can easily take around 30 minutes, if not a upwards of an hour depending on XQ's rig.

In context, I once made a medium sized Black Mesa roleplay map, I started rendering it, biked over to the nearest shopping centre, ordered some snacks, waited for them to be prepared about 15 minutes, biked back, and the little shit was still compiling VIS leafs. Now imagine that with Paralake, a map pushing the boundaries of Source.

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the map still receives small updates like it used to in V3 or earlier. Remember the glass wall in the new Regals that you'd see on the right as soon as you entered? That's gone. Or remember how Bakassi and almost everyone else drove their cars to the park behind the fence of the farm? Can't do that anymore since some trees are now blocking access to it, all done without posting changelogs and completly re-rendering the whole map which means the same would be made for a small change like this if it would get accepted. Same with this brush wall that I never noticed before on the Regals fire escape which I'm sure was never there.
ZBiuAKS.jpg

Xq has a good enough rig where compiling the map in the size of Paralake can take him up to 1-2 hours max, it's no big deal. The limits however are an issue if you'd want to add stuff, Hammer is notorious but it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.