Fix the Jaywalking law: Freedom to Walk!

GP

Reaction score
Is this a new law or a change to a current law: Change
What law do you wish to change/add:

12.1 Jaywalking​

It is an offense to cross or enter a public road on foot via any crossing point other than those designated by road markings or signage. Unless the road has a specific pedestrian bypass (overpass) or device (pelican crossings) to facilitate crossing, Law Enforcement Officers shall not stop a crossing pedestrain for a violation of this section unless a reasonably careful person would realize there is an immediate danger of a collision with a moving vehicle.

Infraction - liable to $750 maximum fine.
(new part highlighted)

Why should this change/addition be made:

The map has few crosswalks, and traffic is usually low. The roads aren't that wide and it's generally safe to cross them freely.
The law, as it currently is, is mostly a device for Police to harass civilians doing what is nowadays considered normal in Paralake. Police Officers jaywalk constantly.

What is the aim of this change/addition:

To allow the People of Paralake to cross the road at any point if it is safe at the moment (no vehicles coming), while maintaining traffic safety at spots like Intersection and the Bazaar pelican crossings (which are exempt from this law change).

Additional Information: Inspired from a recent California jaywalk law reform.

GP

Reaction score
  • Staff
Most areas in Paralake have a zebra crossing near by where it's safe to cross
Sure, some areas have well-placed crosswalks. Those crosswalks will remain useful, as some of them are located at locations where a lot of people would normally want to cross. Here, pedestrians keep their priority, and vehicles must yield.

However, taking into account how little traffic some areas of Paralake have, I still think my proposal will legalize what is, again, a normal and extended practice that is to cross the road when there's no danger. Most people do this, but they're technically breaking the law.

Why keep this practice illegal? I believe my wording allows for safely crossing the road without endangering drivers. And if someone decides to cross right as a car is approaching, the pedestrian will at fault most of the time.

Freedom to walk!

Reaction score
This change would allow people to run on the highway, which is just silly.

GP

Reaction score
  • Staff
I think the wording already covers it (you wouldn't be crossing a road, you would be traversing it) See: The choice of cross or traverse
However, I can add some wording to expressly remove the exception from applying to highways. With that out of the way, what do you think?

Reaction score
Not really, 'crossing only when it is safe to do so'.

Crossing or running on a highway itself is dangerous because of the speeds that cars can drive at, giving very little possible reaction time if someone is on the highway.

You don't have people running across highways in places where you don't get fined for 'jaywalking'. lol

Reaction score
Additional Information: Inspired from a recent California jaywalk law reform.
We shouldn't be basing any of our laws off California. That state is a joke and we shouldn't be inspired from them.
Police Officers jaywalk constantly.
Police are exempt from the law in performance of their duties
The law, as it currently is, is mostly a device for Police to harass civilians doing what is nowadays considered normal in Paralake.
Just because its considered normal doesn't mean it should be. It's also not harassment for the police to enforce the law. Maybe they shouldn't be breaking the law.
The map has few crosswalks, and traffic is usually low.
I don't know what your seeing but i find the traffic to be very busy most days.

GP

Reaction score
  • Staff
We shouldn't be basing any of our laws off California. That state is a joke and we shouldn't be inspired from them.
Come on Eric :shifty: I saw a video by Bob The Road Guy (recommended watch) and thought about how many times I jaywalk in Paralake.

Just because its considered normal doesn't mean it should be. It's also not harassment for the police to enforce the law. Maybe they shouldn't be breaking the law.
Yes, but why shouldn't it be considered normal? If there are no cars coming, and you can make it to the other side safely, why force someone to divert to a crosswalk? The harassment part, albeit uncommon (luckily), came from last month's Traffic campaign, where I witnessed this law being enforced extremely heavy-handed (wasn't widespread, again, luckily) again, going against what is nowadays considered a normal practice.

This law needs fixing, it's unreasonably strict and doesn't reflect the reality. Laws need to evolve.

Police are exempt from the law in performance of their duties
Since Police do it and is generally not a problem, it should be expanded to benefit us all.

I don't know what your seeing but i find the traffic to be very busy most days.
The main roads, yes. But in residential streets, or even in the city, there isn't enough traffic to justify not implementing this reform.