Law 9.4 Change - Allow Police to use the side of the road

Your Opinion (Please vote after reading the full thread)

• Yes - I would like to see this added.

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Unsure - There are positives and negatives for this.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No - I do not feel this should be added (please tell me why).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What law do you wish to Edit/Add: 9.4 Parking
Vehicles may park at the side of a road as long as traffic and/or pedestrian access is not impeded, although if a parking lot is within 100 meters then it should be used instead. When parked within a parking lot drivers are expected to keep their vehicles within the boundaries of the floor markings. Vehicles may never stop on highways unless stopped in the official break-down zones.

Parking spaces marked with a disabled icon are only to be used by members of the public that are in ownership of a disabled parking permit. Likewise, parking spaces marked with an ‘Emergency Parking Only’ sign are only to be used by Emergency Vehicles.

Your version of the law:
9.4 Parking
Vehicles may park at the side of a road as long as traffic and/or pedestrian access is not impeded, although if a parking lot is within 100 meters then it should be used instead, however, marked emergency vehicles may use the side of the road without the use of emergency lighting if it is believed a crime is being committed in that area or for other investigative purposes as long as it does not put other road users in danger. When parked within a parking lot drivers are expected to keep their vehicles within the boundaries of the floor markings. Vehicles may never stop on highways unless stopped in the official break-down zones.

Parking spaces marked with a disabled icon are only to be used by members of the public that are in ownership of a disabled parking permit. Likewise, parking spaces marked with an ‘Emergency Parking Only’ sign are only to be used by Emergency Vehicles.

Why do you believe this law should be Added/Edited: I believe this law should be changed as in real life the use of emergency lighting is rare and in almost all cases will be switched off at the scene to preserve battery in the police car. In real life, to keep the emergency lights on you would really need to leave the engine running. It is very common for me to be walking around town and see police cars parked on double yellow lines if they are speaking to someone at the roadside.

My version of this law does not allow emergency services personnel to use this for leisure as it is started they can only do it for "investigative purposes". In the statement below it says marked police vehicles can park in prohibited places under any circumstances but to prevent mingey police parking I have made it only for "investigative purposes".

This could potentially increase peoples computer performance as there would be less police lights flashing about on peoples screens.

Here is a real statement from Humberside Police:
"All Traffic Regulation Orders allow liveried police, fire and ambulance
vehicles to park where other vehicles are prohibited. In the case of the
fire brigade and ambulance service, the vehicle must be attending an
emergency, however marked police vehicles can park in otherwise prohibited
places under any circumstances."

For:
  • Potentially allows for less client-side lag for some users.
  • Allows for police role-players to play more realistically in accordance to the real life law.
  • Minimises the use of emergency lighting to only when it is necessary.
  • May stop police leaving their vehicles in the middle of the road when responding to slums.
Against:
  • New Police Officers may not understand the law and will use it for leisure reasons (which could create more problems for staff members).
This would allow for people to park in the middle of the road without lights on causing danger to other road users? Wrong! My version of the law only allows for them to be parked on the side of the road and only to be parked there if it does not cause danger to members of the public.

4.2 Disregard Traffic Laws- Government employees may violate traffic laws if responding to an emergency services call that is vitally time sensitive, and if doing so can be done without putting themselves or others at unreasonable risk.

LEO's are already technically exempt from the current 9.4 Parking Law according to rule 4.2 if they do park on the side of the road without blocking it but this law can be used in IC situations where I have to argue over someone about an 'illegally parked' police car.

Optional Addition: As @Exnem mentioned below, the law could be edited to also disallow parking near fire hydrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
While we are at it @LordTyla. Why don't we add to it to disallow parking near fire hydrants. I mean, IRL this is banned.

Reaction score
Sounds amazing, one thing i should add is you are required to turn on both blinkers (or indicators)

Reaction score
Im guessing this was partly inspired with the situation we had where I stopped at the side of the road for a minute to watch the building while the other police units arrived. I was not there for that long but I was in the firing line for a warning and while I was not complaining I believed it was stupid to not be able to park at the side of the road for a moment.

I will support this.

Reaction score
Since we won't be making the sirens and lights to drag power from the battery we atleast can do it impossible to put on lights and sirens while car is off. More of the power/Ignition should cut it off.

Great Idea Tyla!
Supporting this project!

Reaction score
JG7zFbC.png

PARALAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
LAW REFORM

Once again, this was definitely a grey area of the law, hopefully the added clause should clear it up? Highlighted bold, opinions?
9.4 Parking

Vehicles may park at the side of a road as long as traffic and/or pedestrian access is not impeded, although if a parking lot is within 100 meters then it should be used instead, Law Enforcement vehicles are exempt from this as long as it does not put other road users in danger. When parked within a parking lot drivers are expected to keep their vehicles within the boundaries of the floor markings.

Vehicles may never stop on highways unless stopped in the official break-down zones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.