PERPHeads Audio Guide (2024)

Reaction score
For someone like me, who uses IEMs, the gunshots in PERPHeads are way too loud at the default volume (max), and the issue that stems from this is that I can't hear the quiet stuff if I turn my volume down to accomodate for the gunshots.

This is where a compressor comes in. You can use any compressor, but I specifically choose RoughRider3.

In order to use this compressor, you need to download EqualizerAPO. This is a great tool that anyone that cares about their audio should use, and it has elevated my audio experience in everything, not just gaming.

After installing it, you will be greeted with this:

1711776995176.png

Select the audio device that you use, and then close the menu. It may ask you to restart your computer.

Once that's done, open EqualizerAPO's Editor.exe in Program Files/Equalizer APO, and you should see this:

1711777033124.png

You obviously won't have the same settings as me at first, but here's where the magic happens. You can add the compressor of your choice as a VST Plugin by clicking on the green plus button and going to Plug-ins, then VST Plugin. Navigate to the .dll, and click on it. Here's my settings if you'd like, they should work with any compressor if they have the same options:

1711777092957.png

If you also want to use a pre-defined equalizer preset for your specific headphones, you can find a preset for your headphones at AutoEQ. Make sure to select EqualizerAPO GraphicEq when exporting, and then import it as a Control > Include (configuration file).

And that's it! You should have a better time hearing in PERPHeads or any other game with ear-piercing gunshots (this works especially well for Escape From Tarkov).

Reaction score
b9f.gif

Reaction score
i always wondered why some tarkov streamers wear inear headphones

Reaction score
  • Staff
Sonar is fine if you actually have a SteelSeries product, but otherwise you'd be better off using HeSuVi and one of their built-in filters for better fake 7.1 surround.

Reaction score
Sonar is fine if you actually have a SteelSeries product, but otherwise you'd be better off using HeSuVi and one of their built-in filters for better fake 7.1 surround.
Even without a SS product you can benefit greatly from it because my friend has like a wlamart PnP headset and his mic went from xbox 360 loud fans in background to studio grade with AI audio cancellation + Noise gating and his audio got way better.

I personally own a SS Arctis 7 but in my engine I disable the 7.1 surround because before when I used it I didn't like it. I do have Spatial audio on and I like that,

why do you use 7.1 Surround?

Reaction score
  • Staff
Even without a SS product you can benefit greatly from it because my friend has like a wlamart PnP headset and his mic went from xbox 360 loud fans in background to studio grade with AI audio cancellation + Noise gating and his audio got way better.

I personally own a SS Arctis 7 but in my engine I disable the 7.1 surround because before when I used it I didn't like it. I do have Spatial audio on and I like that,

why do you use 7.1 Surround?
I don't use 7.1 surround. You are still using 7.1 surround with spatial audio because that's what spatial audio does, even if the device is set to Stereo. HeSuVi is miles better than Sonar's fake 7.1 for various reasons (multiple options for hrtf filters, built in equalizer options, 5.1 or 7.1 surround, and little to no background process usage), which is why I recommended it if you wanted to have fake surround sound that was better than Sonar's offering. You can do the same things Sonar does with EqualizerAPO, with more control, as well. But personally, I haven't needed to do anything to anything but my IEMs in EqualizerAPO as my mic is fine by default.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're insanely good, the Truthear x Crinacle ZERO Red IEMs are literally $50 and have better quality than what I used to use, which was a SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wired Headset ($240). Only issue is that you need a DAC, in my case I already had the DAC that came with my Arctis Pro, but I also decided to buy a random CX1993 dongle from AliExpress for $5 and it works just fine.

Reaction score
Sometimes hit or miss, make sure you open them properly so you can return them.

Moondrop Aria hurts a lot for shooters and are just not comfy.

Using Truthear Hexa at the moment but if you need something more affordable look into Moondrop Chu 2 or Truthear Hola. Have them all, work fine for me.

Reaction score
I don't use 7.1 surround. You are still using 7.1 surround with spatial audio because that's what spatial audio does, even if the device is set to Stereo. HeSuVi is miles better than Sonar's fake 7.1 for various reasons (multiple options for hrtf filters, built in equalizer options, 5.1 or 7.1 surround, and little to no background process usage), which is why I recommended it if you wanted to have fake surround sound that was better than Sonar's offering. You can do the same things Sonar does with EqualizerAPO, with more control, as well. But personally, I haven't needed to do anything to anything but my IEMs in EqualizerAPO as my mic is fine by default.
You said you can do anything, does this include something like the Clearcast AI noise cancellation?

Also what is an IEM?

Reaction score
You said you can do anything, does this include something like the Clearcast AI noise cancellation?

Also what is an IEM?
Yes, iirc you can use noise cancellation plugins with EAPO.

IEM is a fancy name for in-ear headphones.

Reaction score
Is DT 990 pro with 250 ohm and a headphone amplifier the go to?

Reaction score
if its 250 ohm just make sure you have a DAC that can handle it and you should be great, this works for any headphones
yeah i got a dac that handles it, basically half of my audio shit is for music studios except my microphone, it is absolute ass. nice guide though that i wouldnt need any use for anyways

DnChops

Communication Banned
Reaction score
use "peters equalizer APO configuration extension (peace)" instead.

These are my settings, i use them for bass boost but the way its set up it places to the max volume of my headphones without clipping the audio, so basically footsteps are as loud as gunshots. You want to change "pre amplifying" up to the max, then enable "prevent clipping", play the game for like 30 minutes, go raid, defend, turn some music on and itll turn it down to the point nothing clips and itll just auto configurate everything for you and everything will be the same volume, the only problem is that it makes shit harder to distinguish, like footsteps to your right or someone reloading behind you. but it makes everything the max volume your headphones can handle like footsteps, weapons dropping, someone eating, gunshots, literally anything.
1711890833344.png

Reaction score
use "peters equalizer APO configuration extension (peace)" instead.

These are my settings, i use them for bass boost but the way its set up it places to the max volume of my headphones without clipping the audio, so basically footsteps are as loud as gunshots. You want to change "pre amplifying" up to the max, then enable "prevent clipping", play the game for like 30 minutes, go raid, defend, turn some music on and itll turn it down to the point nothing clips and itll just auto configurate everything for you and everything will be the same volume, the only problem is that it makes shit harder to distinguish, like footsteps to your right or someone reloading behind you. but it makes everything the max volume your headphones can handle like footsteps, weapons dropping, someone eating, gunshots, literally anything.
View attachment 21540
I've heard of peace but I just opt to use the original source software rather than a wrapper. Thanks for the input, I'm sure more people would prefer peace than EAPO :D

Reaction score
yeah i got a dac that handles it, basically half of my audio shit is for music studios except my microphone, it is absolute ass. nice guide though that i wouldnt need any use for anyways
You can improve your mic quality using EqualizerAPO, but I don't know how to do it while also doing stuff for the speakers. I'd assume you make 2 configs, but that's more something for Google to answer because I don't know. I do know that you can get some nice noise cancellation that works with EAPO, or just use the standalone Krisp app

Reaction score
You can improve your mic quality using EqualizerAPO, but I don't know how to do it while also doing stuff for the speakers. I'd assume you make 2 configs, but that's more something for Google to answer because I don't know. I do know that you can get some nice noise cancellation that works with EAPO, or just use the standalone Krisp app
Figured it out
1712951823177.png
Use this guide if you want to have some minor noise cancellation