Garry's Mod Voice Chat Volume Fix.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, you might have noticed the changes to the level of the volume gain you receive now. This update is a great update there is no doubt. But for now you can barely hear anyone.

Well, there is a solution to this issue.

But! Before doing that, make sure you logged into the server, You do not have to do it every single time you open up GMOD. These commands should save client-side.

Go ahead and write the following commands in your console:

SND_restart
VOICE_MAXGAIN 10

Close your console and that's it!
You will still keep almost the same voice quality. The changes in voice quality are not significant.

WARNING!
Do not use SND_restart after VOICE_MAXGAIN 10, It will just reset VOICE_MAXGAIN to it's original amount of volume which is 2.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Updated solution (28/01/2021):

"This update also adds a separate volume slider for Sound Effects. The purpose of this is to address the "low voice chat volume" people have been reporting. What you want to do is set the "Game Volume" slider to maximum, as it affects all the sounds including voice chat. Then you want to set the new "Sound effect volume" and the "Music volume" sliders to the desired position.. (The music slider affects the music from Half-Life 2 campaigns) Doing this will make the voice chat as loud as the microphones of the speaking players are, i.e. the voice chat volume will no longer be reduced by the overall game volume."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Right then, about that Facepunch.
T5Ng3KV.png

Reaction score
Lol why would u consider it dumb its literally the truth, they reduced the default mic volume to make it seem miles more hd than it is.

Reaction score
@BigBenji tbf I was saying it to meme a little bit. I mean yes but no. They'll be using other techniques to increase mic quality

Reaction score
Then change it through the settings normally like we all used to do before?

Reaction score
Voice max gain does what it says on the tin. Increases the gain of the voices.

Before digital effects and new pedals, achieving distortion had to be done with analog signals: guitarists used to set the gain on their amps up to max but turn down the output volume.

This WILL make it louder but the voice quality will be worse. Here's an exaggerated and simplified example for you ( @BigBenji sorry tuned it by ear and it's too early to bother xoxo and i'll give you a sloppy bj if you know what song the first chord is ;) )

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, But I did not notice any significant changes in voice quality, This is why I said there won't be any changes. I will edit it now. Thank you for your comment.

Reaction score

They seemed to have fix this issue in the latest update:

"This update also adds a separate volume slider for Sound Effects. The purpose of this is to address the "low voice chat volume" people have been reporting. What you want to do is set the "Game Volume" slider to maximum, as it affects all the sounds including voice chat. Then you want to set the new "Sound effect volume" and the "Music volume" sliders to the desired position.. (The music slider affects the music from Half-Life 2 campaigns) Doing this will make the voice chat as loud as the microphones of the speaking players are, i.e. the voice chat volume will no longer be reduced by the overall game volume."