AS Particle Physics Masterclass

MattIs

higgs-simulation-3.jpg

Welcome to my Particle Physics Masterclass for AS Physics or even if this kind of stuff interests you.

We start off with the Proton and the Neutron. We all know them. Fundamental Particles to our existence on the universe. But lets look closer. What's in them? What drives them to behave like they do?

Quarks.
Inside Them?
Planck Matter
Inside Them?
Strings.

Strings? Everything you look at is Planck Strings of Energy, composted together to make matter. That's right - Weird huh?

So let's go back to the basics. What are quarks and what do we need to know about them for our A-Level Course?

There are almost 20 different quarks but we only need to know about 3 of them.
Up
Down and
Strange.

The reason they're called what they are is because of their IdoSpin. A composite mix of symmetry (too complicated too explain for this thread but feel free to message me for more information on particle symmetry). One spins upwards and has a charge of +2/3 - The other spins down and has a charge of -1/3. Strange is strange indeed - We don't know why it behaves and has the same charge as the down quark. When we found out about them, we were baffled.

Classification of Particles
Particles are divided into subsections. The two main ones being Hadrons and Leptons. Leptons do weird things, they have massive charges (on the scale of the Hadrons) and are not matter. Electrons are not matter. They're a cloud of charge that surround a nucleus of an atom.
Hadrons are further sub divided into 2 sections. Measons and Baryons. Baryons consist of 3 Quarks inside of them. For a proton this is Up Up Down, Neutron is Down Down Up. These give them their charges. Measons do consist of an Anti-Matter (more on that in another post) and matter formed together in an entanglement of Quantum Power (nucleus binding is required for the A2 course and more on this will be given as many people move from GCSE to AS).

Any questions on this will be happily answered.
Hope I help the people, inspiring to do AS Physics and people taking the course.

Reaction score
As you are studying Physics Matt, can you provide me with a credible source of evidence that supports the big bang theory?

No, I'm not a retarded, bible thumping idiot who thinks that everything was made by a magic man in the sky, in fact the reason I want this is as a counter argument to those people's "points".

I'm also quite interested in it myself, so if you could link me to a source that would be great.

Reaction score
As you are studying Physics Matt, can you provide me with a credible source of evidence that supports the big bang theory?

No, I'm not a retarded, bible thumping idiot who thinks that everything was made by a magic man in the sky, in fact the reason I want this is as a counter argument to those people's "points".

I'm also quite interested in it myself, so if you could link me to a source that would be great.

The Red Shift is the most well known and highly regarded piece of scientific evidence to back up the Big Bang Theory, alongisde Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation. The sole premises behind proving that the Big Bang did actually happen is proving that the universe is still expanding and this is pretty much what the Red Shift teaches us. As a galaxy travels further away from us we can look at the Electromagnetic Spectrum of the galaxy's different energy levels, specifically the black lines on it's absorption spectrum. The black lines seen on the galaxy's absorption spectrum are 'shifted' closer to the red side of the spectrum due to the Doppler Effect, as the galaxy travels further away it causes a change in it's wavelength and therefore a change in the locations of the black lines on the absorption spectrum. The fact that we can prove that starts and other bodies move further away from each-other proves the Universe is expanding indefinitely. I won't go into it any more than that as it's digressing from Matt's topic but if you want to read up on it I'll pop some sources below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/radiation/originsrev2.shtml
http://physicsnet.co.uk/gcse-physics/red-shift/
http://study.com/academy/lesson/evi...ground-radiation-red-shift-and-expansion.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Firstly "Meason" is spelled Meson.

There are almost 20 different quarks but we only need to know about 3 of them.
Up
Down and
Strange.
Sorry, but this is incorrect, there are only 6 types of quark and for each type of quark there is an antiquark.

A simple graphic to help:

all.jpg

sources:
http://particleadventure.org/quarks.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark

Electrons are not matter. They're a cloud of charge that surround a nucleus of an atom.

I'm sorry, but this is also incorrect. Electrons are matter (they also have an antimatter counterpart - the positron), as they have mass. Electrons can exhibit wave like properties, which could be where this confusion originates. However, any matter (or antimatter) can also exhibit wave like properties. (Explained here) (Data sheet for reference)

Also, why no mention of bosons?
819px-Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.svg.png

MattIs

As
Firstly "Meason" is spelled Meson.

Sorry, but this is incorrect, there are only 6 types of quark and for each type of quark there is an antiquark.

A simple graphic to help:

all.jpg

sources:
http://particleadventure.org/quarks.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark

I'm sorry, but this is also incorrect. Electrons are matter (they also have an antimatter counterpart - the positron), as they have mass. Electrons can exhibit wave like properties, which could be where this confusion originates. However, any matter (or antimatter) can also exhibit wave like properties. (Explained here) (Data sheet for reference)

Also, why no mention of bosons?
819px-Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.svg.png

Bosons are exchange particles in interactions of photomagnetic interaction between particles. They are neither Hadrons or Leptons but experience their qualities such as Mass.

Also there are more types of quark. Of course like you said, we have our antiquark pairs but what we are talking about is mass amounts of quark due to particulates still being discovered today, and things we don't know to our existence but theory about for example Gravitons.

Electrons are easy to think of as Matter but Richard Feyyman described in his Book "Quantum Electrodynamics" why they experience these properties.

If we talk about Photons, which are very similar to electrons but just with a slightly different frequency flavour. They follow a wavelength or can act as particles (Wave-Particle Duality).

What I'm trying to get at is that Electrons are matter but not the matter we call Protons and Neutrons, they are degenerative matter.

Reaction score
I came on here to view Billy's daily ban request and somehow I am watching a conversation that however interesting makes me want to end my life... thank you perpheads, thank-you.
my brain hurts.

Reaction score
If we talk about Photons, which are very similar to electrons but just with a slightly different frequency flavour. They follow a wavelength or can act as particles (Wave-Particle Duality).

What I'm trying to get at is that Electrons are matter but not the matter we call Protons and Neutrons, they are degenerative matter.
Photons do not have mass, but electrons do. Yesterday, I happened to be speaking to Professor Raymond Macintosh of the open university about neutrons behaving like waves. He explained to me that whilst electrons are more commonly observed acting as waves than neutrons and heavier particles are, if the velocity of a neutron is great enough, it will also act as a wave. Larger particles require a greater velocity to exhibit wave like behavior, but any particle can act as a wave, and exhibit wave particle duality.

Also there are more types of quark.
Nope. Only six. Plus six antiquarks.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Will check this thread tomorrow after 4pm, but for now I must prepare for my further maths exam which is first thing tomorrow.

Reaction score
mate where are you learning this , here in the northwest you ask someone "whats a neutron" and they will slap you