Police Suggestion Communication improvement: incident handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Communication improvement: incident handling
Suggestion Description: Currently with the Incident menu (J Key) you are not able to:

- Assign yourself to a recent incident;
- Unassign yourself to a recent incident;
- Create a quick incident;
when you are on foot/outside a vehicle.

The incident menu should work from anywhere. Not only is this realistic, as modern police department use status codes on their radio systems to let dispatch know their status without requiring voice contact; it will actually encourage officers to use this feature. I rarely see people use this.

To aid officers assigning themselves to incidents even more, it is vital that incidents in the same location are grouped together. Right now, if a civilian calls 911 that he is getting raided, there are two life alerts and three house alarm calls, that results in 6 different 911 calls and 6 different incident radio's. This hinders communication and deters usage of incident radio's. An incident should be updated with new info instead of a new one being created if there is a current open incident on a location.

Why should this be added?:
Improve communication;
Reduces risk of tinnitus;
Motivates foot patrols;

What negatives could this have?:
Seriously none.

What problem would this suggestion solve?: Again, this reduces the risk of tinnitus.

Last edited:
The incident menu should work from anywhere. Not only is this realistic, as modern police department use status codes on their radio systems to let dispatch know their status without requiring voice contact; it will actually encourage officers to use this feature. I rarely see people use this.
Can someone help think of a downside for this? Otherwise I might remove the limitation in the future

To aid officers assigning themselves to incidents even more, it is vital that incidents in the same location are grouped together. Right now, if a civilian calls 911 that he is getting raided, there are two life alerts and three house alarm calls, that results in 6 different 911 calls and 6 different incident radio's. This hinders communication and deters usage of incident radio's. An incident should be updated with new info instead of a new one being created if there is a current open incident on a location.
This sounds easy for us humans, but how does a computer system determine what 'related' means? The idea is wonderful, but as often happens with software, it's the edge cases that are hard
Also, how would new related incidents/updates be communicated to people on-duty? (so they can decide if they need to respond)

Interacting with the incident menu when not in a car triggers the panic animation right now

Can someone help think of a downside for this? Otherwise I might remove the limitation in the future

This sounds easy for us humans, but how does a computer system determine what 'related' means? The idea is wonderful, but as often happens with software, it's the edge cases that are hard
Also, how would new related incidents/updates be communicated to people on-duty? (so they can decide if they need to respond)
They should be grouped basic on location and time. For example:

There is a life alert at Regals 5. Currently, there are no open incidents at the entire regals building. A new 911 incident is created as normal.

Then an officers panics, the incident should update with an extra log in the description, like:
12:34: Panic button pressed by Officer Smeris at Regals 4
Considering the panic button is already displayed in Goverment Radio, this does not need to display information on the HUD.

Now someone at Regals 4 makes a 911 call. saying he just heard someone got shot. The original life alert 911 call should update.

An incident has been updated
Incident #822 at Regals 5

Additional information:

GP (#123-4567)

A downside of this could be that it would be more Difficult for dispatch to update and log within an active incident if the text field updates while he/she is writing in it. This could be resolved by having the additional information go in a seperate log of some sorts in the incident. This would require some rework of Dispatch though.

I suppose it can never be perfect, but even the most safe grouping algorithm will probably cut the amount of incidents in half. The occasional rogue incident that is created extra can then be removed by a dispatcher or officer via the computer. Now there is no point in doing that due the sheer amount of incidents automatically created.

My only suggestion is based on proximity.

An alternative to when you assign yourself on foot would be to show how many officers are assigned to an incident, so you'd all join a single channel.

My only suggestion is based on proximity.

An alternative to when you assign yourself on foot would be to show how many officers are assigned to an incident, so you'd all join a single channel.
A good idea:
When an officer life alert happens, units within 100m get automatically assigned and any other life alerts in that area get put into the one incident.

A good idea:
When an officer life alert happens, units within 100m get automatically assigned and any other life alerts in that area get put into the one incident.
The issue with just merging together incidents is that you'll lose location tracking. You can use the Dispatch map currently to track bodies, if this all gets merged, then we'll only see the first body's.

I will allow the menu to be used anywhere. The incident merging stuff is not trivial and will not be done in the short term

Status
Not open for further replies.