Discussing Custom Weapon Skins

What is your view on custom weapon skins?

• Allow Skins

Votes: 42 40.8%
  • Ban Skins

Votes: 61 59.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
sorry but who the hell uses these barf skins

If skins get banned I'd like to see simple recolours to be still allowed in a sense that's still realistic like woodland camo, changing a stock into wood while not making it too bright is fine IMO. I'd be okay with small stickers too as long as it's minor or adds some flair.

I personally don't see how skins give that much of an advantage unless someone can prove me otherwise on footage that wasn't recorded in 480P.
9c48057535027e919c36a57fbd2a5ee5.jpg

Reaction score
I agree that having them is unfair and here is why
  • If they are absurdly bright they can be seen easier and give you away easier
  • You can easily tell what weapon it might be from further away just based on the color
However I believe having community voted and approved skins that are more matte color and not bright, is totally an awesome idea. Skins should be allowed but ones that aren't going to give you a visual advantage over a newer player just because you play gmod 5000 hours like me and know how to modify files compared to the new player with 1 hour on the server trying to see you in hicktown trees and you see him better because of the skin.

Im glad you guys are having a voting process instead of outright banning players because this is a healthy discussion point and has some cool outcomes if we can come to an agreement.

Reaction score
they do give a very slight advantage and make it a tad bit easier to spot in some areas but its not that bad , but I agree with Acerius that their should be a skin system in place , but I havent played in 5 months so what do I know .

Reaction score
As long as they follow an approved colour palette and exist as an actually aesthetically pleasing entity and not just a cheap way of spotting players at a distance they should be allowed.

I’d rather guidelines be put into place than ban them entirely.

Reaction score
I agree that having them is unfair and here is why
  • If they are absurdly bright they can be seen easier and give you away easier
  • You can easily tell what weapon it might be from further away just based on the color
However I believe having community voted and approved skins that are more matte color and not bright, is totally an awesome idea. Skins should be allowed but ones that aren't going to give you a visual advantage over a newer player just because you play gmod 5000 hours like me and know how to modify files compared to the new player with 1 hour on the server trying to see you in hicktown trees and you see him better because of the skin.
1678223419493.png1678223667940.png1678223878532.png
these are all bright skins yet barely affect it imo

Reaction score
View attachment 17264View attachment 17265View attachment 17266
these are all bright skins yet barely affect it imo
You’re onto something here.

All players who have been called out for using advantageous skins, band together and record a shootout with you using them, then submit a demo so we can view what it looked like without them.

Until we demonstrate clearly what advantages they can pose with a first person perspective can we finally put this issue to rest.

Reaction score
You’re onto something here.

All players who have been called out for using advantageous skins, band together and record a shootout with you using them, then submit a demo so we can view what it looked like without them.

Until we demonstrate clearly what advantages they can pose with a first person perspective can we finally put this issue to rest.
iirc as the skins are clientside, it wouldn't show in the demo. However I'm more than willing to post full-length shootouts to show how little it is impacting gameplay, however I'm limited on videos as I recently deleted a large chunk (however my skins aren't very advantageous, however peoples skins like the first image in Tyla's post, seem to be clearly making the skins in order to create bias for themselves, whether it works or not is beyond me. When I believe it comes down to it, aim vs aim is what matters)

Reaction score
To be honest this argument is pretty useless unless you have pistol skins, 90% of fights are pistol cops with maybe 1 or 2 tfu with a primary which you have the chance of having the skin for, the tiny amount of fights that are against civs eh maybe you have an advantage who knows

Reaction score
I'd be happy enough to see them banned cause of how fucking shit they all look, but given how people choose the blackest clothes possible to make them essentially invisible at night, and how all the skins we see seem to be bright colours, whether it makes a qualitative difference or not, I don't think it's fair to allow them.

Reaction score
Could make the skins only viable to the user. Nullifies advantages of skins and only serves as cosmetics rather than for gains. In-game skins should only be for visual pleasing cosmetics.

Skins advantage to cops = able to see crims hiding guns = impacted game play of crims
Skins advantage to crims = if the opposition has a bright skin = advantage to you as you can see the gun

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think skins should be removed all together.

I always said this but in the meantime I have decided to install the AK-101 Asimov on my client to prove the point that it does give an advantage. I found myself spotting, as cop, someone's gun on their back inside their cars across the intersection because the stock was fully white.

Stop with the argument "it's not impacting gameplay" because it does. You can't say its the same to have a black and a white stock.

Reaction score
By banning skins you're only going to increase the advantage between people that use skins and people who don't as i don't see any possible way of being able to enforce this. I don't mind a ban on world model skins(As editing the viewmodel doesn't edit what you see on other players, and i like my BEAN GUNS).

If you must control this, have some pre-approved list of skins that anyone can use. But it's probably going to be difficult to enforce that.

Reaction score
By banning skins you're only going to increase the advantage between people that use skins and people who don't as i don't see any possible way of being able to enforce this. I don't mind a ban on world model skins(As editing the viewmodel doesn't edit what you see on other players, and i like my BEAN GUNS).

If you must control this, have some pre-approved list of skins that anyone can use. But it's probably going to be difficult to enforce that.
This to me seems like a great middle ground, the people who want terrible Schizo skins that make it feel like your holding a green spotlight can have what they want, while providing 0 advantage in anyway, in my opinion everyone wins here.

When it comes to enforcement of this it would just need to be another one of those things that we watch out for. It’s similar to enforcing that you can’t edit your Bobby pin sound effect to be a loud ass alarm.

Reaction score
This to me seems like a great middle ground, the people who want terrible Schizo skins that make it feel like your holding a green spotlight can have what they want, while providing 0 advantage in anyway, in my opinion everyone wins here.

When it comes to enforcement of this it would just need to be another one of those things that we watch out for. It’s similar to enforcing that you can’t edit your Bobby pin sound effect to be a loud ass alarm.
This suggestion already got denied :(

Reaction score
iirc as the skins are clientside, it wouldn't show in the demo.
Of course the skins won’t show in the demo, that’s the point.

The idea is to record gameplay, then upload the demo. This would in turn show how much of an advantage this actually gives. The demo would merely be for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.