Factoring Cubic Polynomials with only 3 terms

Reaction score
Hola, my C1 exam is tomorrow morning so I'm sorta cramming atm and the last thing on my 'I have no idea what I'm doing list' is Solving / factoring Polynomial equations that are missing an x coefficient. Here's an example of a question that's tripping me:

fe8e6e72ec.png

Source

This is different to the more usual question:

79903bbbf1.png

Source

Anyone have any useful resources that could help me out? Or can anyone help me out?

MattIs

There's a really nice easy way of doing it.
We call it the Asian method as no teacher will show you this method.
You're welcome buddy

Just watch it. It's only 3 minutes. This guy works on it new methods to solve stuff and it makes it 20000 times easier

Reaction score
Can i ask you 1 thing? everyone of your same age in UK as the same kind of exams?
I was a bit impressed since in Italy who choose a school where math is not the most first subject, but neither the last one, can solve those exercise at the age of 15-16. Don't even think I think you are stupid :oops:

Btw there's an Italian mathematician who will help you a lot whit equations higher then 2nd degree (x^3, x^4 or higher) not separable by taking apart a factor, he's called Ruffini.
I don't know how to explain you his method without a sheet and a pen, try googling it

I hope this will help you :) if you don't find anything usefull tell me and i'll send you some screenshots to try to explain it by myself

Last edited: