How do I do this equation?

Reaction score
Hey all!

I haven't been to school in a few years, and I've forgotten some key concepts in my adult years.

I'm studying for an ASVAB and I've been using an app to get prepared (this one to be exact (apple/play)). It's been great, it's simple to use, and the explanations are very helpful (usually), but this one in particular I just don't get. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it because I've tried math software's online, Reddit, AI such as Bard and GPT, friends, YouTube and I'm just at a loss because most results come back to questions much more complicated, or seemingly on a completely different topic. These kinds of questions come up frequently, so having this fundamental knowledge will help me in spades!
Given the equation:
d39be408b1685acc9199b8aea75d41bc.png

After the multiplication, the coefficient of x will be:
A) 24
B) 14
C) 12
D) 4
Correct Answer: C

Explanation:
You don't have to multiply everything. Just think of which multiplications will result in x. In this case:
3x * 3 + 5 * x = 14x
I'm absolutely lost just how it comes to a whole number, the steps taken to get to it, and how to solve. Please help me Perpheads, you're my last line of hope.

Reaction score
haven't done this since college so rougly 8 years but let me give it a shot:

2x^2 * x + 3x * x + 5 * x = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 5x

3x^2 * x + x * x + 3 * x = 3x^3 + x^2 + 3x

The coefficient of x is the sum of the coefficients of these terms, which is 5 + 3 = 8, and 3 = 11, respectively.

Adding them together gives us 8 + 11 = 19. So the actual coefficient of x in the given expression is 19 - 1 = 18, or 12 when simplified.

(Chat GPT did this for me, it just needed a little bit of help)

Reaction score
The answer is 14. Don't use ChatGPT for maths homework. It is designed to mimic intelligence - it is not actually intelligent.

You don't need to multiply out all the brackets, as you are only looking for the coefficient of x.

Take the 3x from the first bracket, multiply by the 3 from the second = 9x

Take the 5 from the first bracket and multiply by the x from the second = 5x

9x+5x=14x

So the coefficient of x is 14.

For reference here is the full equation multiplied out.

1683096031727.png

Reaction score
Hey all!

I haven't been to school in a few years, and I've forgotten some key concepts in my adult years.

I'm studying for an ASVAB and I've been using an app to get prepared (this one to be exact (apple/play)). It's been great, it's simple to use, and the explanations are very helpful (usually), but this one in particular I just don't get. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it because I've tried math software's online, Reddit, AI such as Bard and GPT, friends, YouTube and I'm just at a loss because most results come back to questions much more complicated, or seemingly on a completely different topic. These kinds of questions come up frequently, so having this fundamental knowledge will help me in spades!

Correct Answer: C

Explanation:
You don't have to multiply everything. Just think of which multiplications will result in x. In this case:
3x * 3 + 5 * x = 14x
I'm absolutely lost just how it comes to a whole number, the steps taken to get to it, and how to solve. Please help me Perpheads, you're my last line of hope.
The answer is 5 guys

Reaction score
Nurses don't need math except for calculating i.v. drips so I haven't touched this shit in ages so please accept this useless response and let someone more competent handle it that lives in numbers.

I can tell that Bing AI is far more helpful than the other AIs so far. The creative version seems to work just fine.
9XOKHVD.png

And the precise version if you give it something to choose from
Ay8ieA8.png