FPS Guide for HIGH END PC'S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
NOTE:
Before you go ahead and read this guide I want you to understand that this guide is for high end computers, not low end. If you have a low end computer I recommend you to look at other guides here on the forums, but you are welcome to try my tips as well.

Requirements:
For this guide I would suggest you to have an I7 4770 (or better) and a Nvidia 770, AMD 280x or better. But again, you are welcome to try with other stuff that isn't as good.

Why I decided to make this guide:
So, since I came back to PERP I noticed that my FPS absolutely sucked and my mouse movement felt unresponsive. I read all the guides on the forum and tried to improve my FPS, I gained little to nothing and in many cases I got worse FPS or I removed some important visuals from the game. So I started experimenting myself.

How I found the solution:
I loaded up MSI afterburner and noticed that my GPU usage was at 10% and my CPU usage was like only 5% more than when I just do normal stuff. Since I have a 4 core CPU with hyperthreading I decided to try out this command -threads 4 and this -threads 8 since It was recommended in different guides but It didn't work. I tried other methods like replacing awesomium but I just lead to crashes and missing stuff... I also tried a lot of other commands but it just made my FPS worse.

Finally for some reason I just reinstalled my gmod, removed all configs and restarted. I put all my settings on max and noticed that my gpu usage went up to around 20-25% (which is okey since the source engine sucks.) I also noticed that my FPS got a 40-60% boost depending on where I looked.

So now I had higher FPS, but I wasn't satisfied. I tried fiddeling with the -threads command and noticed that just putting 1 in there would boost the CPU usage on one of the cores (which is exactly what I wanted to do) while the other cores stayed at the exactly the same. This can be explained by GMOD only being able to utilize one core.

So I tried some of the commands of the other guides again and I found some that were good acually, I will list them in the "to do" list.

How to do it:
So, do you have a high end computer? Do other guides make your FPS worse? Here is what I did, and what might work for you.

tl:dr

• Remove all your old configs (I had to disable steam cloud and reinstall do get rid of it).
  • Put these commands in your launch options: -high -nojoy -threads 1 +mat_queue_mode 0
  • Set all your graphics settings to max, except "High Dynamic Range" and "Shadow detail". (Yes strange isn't it. Higher settings = higher FPS with my specs atleast)
  • Disable "Motion blur", "Wait for vertical sync", "Multicore Rendering" and "Color Correction".
  • Add this to your autoexec.cfg (Taken from @Sneaky 's guide. And I guess he got some of it from @MattIs guide.) "
    bind o "r_shadows 0"
    bind p "r_shadows 1"
    r_3dsky 0"
You can change "o" and "p" to whatever you want. "O" Disables shadows and lights, "p" enables them. Having them disabled will boost your FPS.

This made my FPS 3x as high at the City hall. Your results may vary.
My specs:
CPU: 4770k @4.7 Ghz
GPU: 780 TI
SSD: 850 Pro
RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz
And a 2560 x 1440p monitor.

Thanks for reading! I hope I helped you boost your FPS!

Last edited:
Reaction score
That guide barely improved my FPS, not close to as much as my current config that can be found in this guide. If you acually read the whole guide where I explained this you would probably understand. As I've noted, this guide isn't for computers where you already use all your available performance. The guide you linked doesn't explain anything and isn't as in depth. I don't understand your "old" rating just because I used 2 commands that already was used in another guide. Also, from my experience using "r_drawdetailprops 0" and "r_drawbatchdecals 0" makes your FPS worse and you get a lower gpu usage.

Reaction score
Set all your graphics settings to max, except "High Dynamic Range" and "Shadow detail". (Yes strange isn't it. Higher settings = higher FPS with my specs atleast)
This actually is true for Source for some reason, increasing the settings helps in Source games which I definetely noticed in TF 2, screw shadows those are always an FPS killer. Might have to do something with the GPU usage but I'll try this guide whenever I got the time, thanks Leyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.