How many city councillors should there be?

How many city councillors should there be?

• None, allow the PD to choose the laws.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • None, allow the staff team to choose the laws.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Less than 7

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• 19 or more

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
The city council wants to improve the charter. One of the key ideas is to up the number or councillors.

We are interested in how many councillors the citizens of the city think there should be.

This is not a referendum, just an informal poll for us to gauge the opinions.

I have deliberately chosen odd numbers in the poll, to prevent the council getting deadlocked. If you feel even numbers would be better, please state this below, and we can consider this.

Due to the limited number of options I can put on the poll, please vote within the general range that you think is appropriate. You can vote for as many option as you like.

Please submit other suggestions here.

Ayjay

Reaction score
I feel that the city council needs to understand that the people are the ones living in the city.
I'd like to see some form of a democratic voting system for big votes, allowing all residents to
voice their opinion on big topics which will impact them. As for the amount of councillers, I believe that as many
as possible is a good shout, giving lots of people who enjoy doing seperate stuff to get a voice.

I'd say open seats for around 15 councillors, all chosen using a fair system which isn't hard to understand.

Reaction score
Personally i feel that all citizens need to be able to vote on all laws, ill quote what i said on another thread.

the amount of councilors should be a big number to be honest, 15+ so you get more 'representation' i suppose.

Isnt this litteraly proving everyones point?
[issues stated by the council in the last meeting thread. | only 4 people choosing laws ]

I personally don't see this going to work in the future unless someone is able to change my mind i still find this a dumb idea?
Why are only 4 people deciding for an entire community, does nobody seem to understand me why 'democracy' in this way doesn't work in a small community.

A politics professor has wrote a 113 page book about democracy in small groups, while i havent read it fully i believe his ways are diffrent than we currently have.

i recall jordan make in a comment where he was asking for how we could improve the council, because he used to handpick all the laws by himself, and tbh at that point i had no issues with it whatsoever. Now im not saying we should go back to that but i see this failing tbh. just make it so the entire community is able to vote on the laws.

TL;DR for you;
EEol3JI.png

Reaction score
  • Staff
Personally i feel that all citizens need to be able to vote on all laws, ill quote what i said on another thread.

the amount of councilors should be a big number to be honest, 15+ so you get more 'representation' i suppose.

It's all well and good linking a flow chart, but there is an open question there: Would participation in a democratic group build such a commitment? The largest complaint is that not all of the existing councillors are committed to the group. If this is the case, then the answer seems to point towards the solution being a guardianship (PD or Staff team decides).

f57aa8ac01.png

Furthermore, it could easily be argued that the community, while small, is diverse enough to not fall under the loose definition of a small group put forward in that book.

If the voting is expanded to the entire community, will the vast majority the voters be committed to the process and take it seriously? If that is the case, then direct democracy would be the solution, if not, representational democracy would be the better solution.

I would argue the reason that people have complaints about the council is because it is representative of the community. It represents the varying degrees of engagement, commitment and seriousness of the community. You could change this by going back to an effective dictatorship of the PD. My understanding of Feng's resignation was that he felt satisfied that the PD had not taken control of the laws, which I feel represents a large amount of the communities views.

Reaction score
I'd like to have a representative from the PD who can bring up points from the PD and have the PLC running the way it is now but with some changes as of what people are in the council. I'd also like as many as 15 council members so that you have a wider chance of the votes being fair for all parties.