K10 - Roleplaying car damage - text over cars. (idea 36/152)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Topic: Text over cars describing how they look if they're damaged.

Short explanation (in notes):
-Depending on car's HP, text over it shows its condition.
-If it's in perfect condition, no text is shown.
-If car has hit a wall with barely any force, etc., text shows "Scratched paint", more damage - "Bumped"
-Depending on the damage, it could also show "Bullet holes", "Damaged", and similar descriptions.
-After a car crash, it can show "Wrecked" or "Wrecked and burned"

Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
It would really improve roleplay - for example cops won't try to ticket cars which are wrecked in a car crash. Currently after a car stops burning, you don't see that it's wrecked.
Example where it would be useful - there are 2 exactly the same cars, but one has just escaped from a police chase and cops are looking for it. It was hit many times and has driven into a wall. Normally you wouldn't see that it's damaged and could mistake them.

I don't know how exactly the damage system works right now, but I think that car's HP resets every time you join the server, unless the tires are popped or the paint is burned. It would work fine with the system I'm proposing. And it doesn't seem as hard to code as other ideas. It's just a description which shows up depending on car's HP.

Description showing bullet holes would also be useful in many situations.
Also, people could roleplay the fact that they have driven into other cars, which happens very often but they act like nothing happened because nobody sees the damage.

Optional additions:
-Stop burned cars from being able to be repaired with a wrench by the owner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ever got ticketed for trying to describe the damage to your car happened to me once then they tried to arrest me.

Neutral while this is a good idea I think it could use more work for physical damage rather than cosmetic.

Reaction score
I really think this should be a enforced rule, I seen to many people ram other vichacles like it's nothing. Even tho it should apply to rule 3.3 and 3.15 its not enforced enough or at all, But there is a exception for police because they have protection.

But I like your idea maybe from this people can learn some common sense and not ram through police cars at a CP/accident or drive away after being ramed and blocked by 5 police cars (mini coopers drivers).

Last edited:
Reaction score
The issue I have faced is that people may not meaning to break 3.15 or that they may not purposley hit my car, but they never role-play as if they had hit it.

For example, two cars had hit my van yesterday at quite a speed. I called the cops but they didnt take it seriously. I eventually returned to the drivers and played it as if I had talk to my insurance company and requested a reperation.

Now, eventually they played along but on too many occasions they would tell me to leave, saying "your cars fine" without putting it to consideration.

Reaction score
Although you always say your idea isn't hard to add, I don't think you really have the first clue of how difficult it is or not to be honest. Yes, you say simply base it off the car's health, yet you can have every type of damage to your vehicle imaginable, and we would then have to keep track of how much damage each has done to a vehicle as to "show" it properly. And on top of that by the sounds of it, you want that kept between sessions which further complicates matters.

Additionally, as you have noticed I'm sure, there are times where you can get in a giant car wreck, which does not stall or damage your car for whatever reason. There is nothing we can do about this, yet it has a large impact on how you wish for your idea to work. Also to be honest, more hovering text on the screen looks horrid to be honest, if anything I want to remove how much of it there is.

All things considered, I know what you're trying to get at for allowing you to prove if someone hit your car to police and what, and that's fine. It's just I'm not sure if doing it exactly this way would be the best. Also trying to determine who it is that ran into you to cause damage is a trick in as of itself. However if I can figure out an easy way to determine that, then I suppose this could be added into things for the detective job to be able to investigate, as well as road crew.

How I see the problem mostly while watching people driving around is that they often times do not properly RP either a basic accident or a real mess of one which does damage either car. So yes, I would like to make it so it is possible to prove a collision. However it would be possible to hit someone, then drive to a different location and then say you had the accident there, and it would be almost impossible to disprove that. So there's plenty of complications to this idea, and isn't nearly as simple as you think.

Reaction score
@StephenPuffs

Although you always say your idea isn't hard to add, I don't think you really have the first clue of how difficult it is or not to be honest.
I don't always think/say that my idea isn't hard to add. Did I say it for example in the automated police units suggestion? I didn't, because it's not easy to code. I had said it a few times before, which doesn't mean ALWAYS.
And second thing most of my ideas aren't too complicated. I'm not going to suggest bicycles and motorbikes or surgeries, cleaning burned places, remaking the map and repairing damages caused by cars. Probably not even steering wheel support even though i really want that one.

And on top of that by the sounds of it, you want that kept between sessions which further complicates matters.
"I think that car's HP resets every time you join the server (...) It would work fine with the system I'm proposing."

I want it to show that a car was damaged because all damaged cars look like brand-new. I agree that the range of that text can be short.
It isn't so important where the car was hit (which could be impossible to determine) because right now we have nothing that shows that a car was hit or even shot AT ALL.
My idea was a simple system showing "Scratched paint" "Bumped" "Damaged", "Wrecked", "Bullet holes" (with other states) and "Burned". Bullet holes wouldn't be as easy to code, but I think it's important. Where the car was hit doesn't matter as much as determining whether the car was hit or not.
It would not be perfect, but I can imagine how it would improve roleplay. The only thing better than this idea is adding soft body collisions, which is obviously impossible.

I'm not saying it's the best idea ever or that it must be added. I can only imagine it having more merits than drawbacks.

Reaction score
@StephenPuffs
I don't always think/say that my idea isn't hard to add. Did I say it for example in the automated police units suggestion? I didn't, because it's not easy to code. I had said it a few times before, which doesn't mean ALWAYS.
And second thing most of my ideas aren't too complicated. I'm not going to suggest bicycles and motorbikes or surgeries, cleaning burned places, remaking the map and repairing damages caused by cars. Probably not even steering wheel support even though i really want that one.
Detailed description (why should it become added/...):
It's a not too complicated and probably temporary system to make police force more organized.

(Taken from one of your previous ideas)

Pretty much as Stephen already mentioned, you have no clue of how complicated it is to create such features and making them work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.