• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Yes but no private businesses

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No but maybe relax the punishments

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1235

Seeming as we're all being academics and philosophical during this lockdown.

Do you think sex work/prostitution should be made legal? In the majority of countries, paying someone to engage in sexual acts with you is against the law, and result in punishment for both parties.

I personally believe sex work is real work. It's a supply and demand service. The risks exists mainly from 'pimps' or gangs controling the workers instead of a actual company or business with no legal support or regulation.

Many of you know about my situation, along with others who do the work partly due to fun and also some very easy extra cash, without damaging your body like with drugs.

Reaction score
Personally I think it should be legal if you’re using a condom, the amount of STD’s a prostitute probably has is unreal

Deleted member 1235

Actually they're very careful not to get STDs. You can have sex with 100 people and get nothing. Or you can have sex with 1 person and catch 5 STDs.

It would be wise for them to use it, maybe for the businesses. Or perhaps a part of the regulations could be a mandatory sexual health check up every month or something

Deleted member 1235

That's the thing. In the UK it's quite soft. Ik in America they're pretty harsh

Reaction score
Legal, I don't even understand how there could be debate about this. A lot of it may be from "M-MUH RELIGION THOUGH, PROSTITUTES ARE UNHOLY" but otherwise I don't know.

Legal prostitutes means they don't have to do things clandestinely, they can have actual doctors offering their services in the right environment.

Also that prostitutes have a lot of STD is a misconception. They get checked for STDs weekly, they have good hygiene and use condoms. They can also straight up refuse to have sex with you if your weewee visibly has a problem (crusty dick or something)

If someone wants to get their dick wet in exchange for money and someone else agrees to it, why the fuck not?

Deleted member 6228

I think it should be decriminalized not legalized, someone who is selling themselves for sex work etc obviously shouldn't go to jail for that but the people manipulating them should be.
Legalizing it wont stop the human trafficking that goes on, especially in the UK as Eastern European females are desirable in the UK market, you could still be forced to work for these 'pimps' and it would just be legal now.

Reaction score
Prostitution should be legal for registered sex workers who get tests on a bi weekly basis, to ensure they are clean of STI's. The unregulated legalization of sex workers would result in a drastic increase in the spread of STI's which is quite simply unacceptable.

Reaction score
do u know how many people they can have sex with in that time-frame before getting tested? all those people would get STD's with unprotected sex

Reaction score
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nsmission-diseases-reduce-study-a8120316.html - Decriminalization (not an option in this poll but I'll put it on the legalization side)

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/ “The likely negative consequences of legalised prostitution on a country’s inflows of human trafficking might be seen to support those who argue in favour of banning prostitution, thereby reducing the flows of trafficking,” the researchers state. “However, such a line of argumentation overlooks potential benefits that the legalisation of prostitution might have on those employed in the industry. Working conditions could be substantially improved for prostitutes — at least those legally employed — if prostitution is legalised. Prohibiting prostitution also raises tricky ‘freedom of choice’ issues concerning both the potential suppliers and clients of prostitution services.”

Reaction score
They use condoms and watch out for any odors or visual symptoms.

Also I think a single prostitute often sees anything between 0 and 4 people a day max, it's not like they fuck the entire country in a day either.

Although this is not really a prostitute-specific problem, there's plenty of people who fuck 2 or 3 different people on Tinder a week. You gotta be hot, but they're there.

Deleted member 1235

You guys do realise a majority of STDs are symptomless. Sure if you've mushrooms growing out of it you'll go get checked. But if you hook up and are fine after i.e no rash, smell or whatever people don't get checked, even though they could have something.

Also people need to get this outdated image of proper sex workers from their head. They're not sitting in a ally way taking as much business as they can to buy drugs. Most have it as a second job.
The work I did was part time with my usual job and university degree.

Deleted member 1235

Tbh a std shouldn't be anything to mock. People don't laugh or judge you if you have a cold or the flu, even though you can take steps to prevent it. People shouldn't be embarrassed of having a STD, as it stops people going to get it treated.