Need help with my VR software.

Reaction score
So I tried this a month ago and I gave up but I am here now to see if anyone who owns's a VR if they have any fix for my problem.

So, I reset my windows a month ago and when I installed SteamVR once I installed Steam. I changed my steam installation to my hard drive and created its own direction under a folder called Steam which has worked in the past. So I tried to launch SteamVR and it said "Launching SteamVR" and it closed within a second. I figured I had to install Vive so I did so and I went through the installation however there was a catch, when it was installing it said "Install Steam" and it did nothing. So I waited 10 minutes and then closed it because it was doing nothing. I then relaunched the .exe and skipped the installation and went straight to the setup, the equipment itself was good and ready however when I finished the setup it did not start SteamVR of any sort.

I have no idea what to do as I basically can't use my £700 Vive.

Reaction score
I changed my steam installation to my hard drive and created its own direction under a folder called Steam which has worked in the past.
Try installing Steam and SteamVR under the same drive as the OS and the game if possible, never heard of this fuckery when I tested the Vive on my system with multiple drives. It worked in the past but probably pushed a update to screw it up.

Reaction score
Can't do that, I would have to install steam on my OS and I can't be arsed to move all the shit over. Even if I don't have to move it, I can't be arsed. Cheers for helpin tho.

Reaction score
If you can't be arsed to do the simplest thing good luck getting your problem fixed.

Literally save the steamapps folder, delete Steam, reinstall, select your games on the second specified drive and let it rediscover already installed files.

Reaction score
Just tried unplugging my VR cables while re-organizing and strangling my wires. Just launched SteamVR and nothing happened, no error message or anything. I am currently reinstalling the Vive software to see if that works. If not then I guess I have chased my tail again.

Reaction score
Just done so, this time it actually past through the installation however at the end the headset was not tracking. The light is red at the side. I have checked multiple times EVERYTHING is plugged in the correct places so apparently, it's just SteamVR being a total twat. No idea why my headset is not tracking, it's installed, plugged in and base stations on.

Reaction score
Alright, I have fixed it. I did not want to go through the trouble of uninstalling Steam so I just installed Steam again this time on my C: Drive, (The one with the OS installed) and SteamVR launched. No idea why nor how much of an idiot I am, I am just glad I can actually use my VR now.

Big thanks to @Creepis for posting the possible fix of installin on my OS. While I might have done it in a more awkward way than you might have done your fix worked in a sense. So I am gonna put my success on you.