NYFD facts 9/11

Reaction score
NYFD Thread from 9/11

Today i decided to research some information about 9/11, and two of the Fire-Trucks/Fire-Ladder/Fire-Engine

Fire-Engine 6
NYFD%285%29.jpg

Fire-Engine 6 was the first responding on scene, and the first unit to report the situation.

Engine 6's crew
The crew of engine 6 was

Driver: Fr. Jack Butler(Engine 6)

Front Passenger Seat:Lt. Thomas O'Hagan(Battalion 4)

Nozzle Rear Right Seat: Thomas Holoman

Unknown: Fr. Paul Beyer(Engine 6)
Unknown: Fr. Tom Holohan(Engine 6)
Unknown: Fr. Billy Johnston(Engine 6)
Unknown: Fr. William Johnson(Engine 6)

11collins.span.jpg

screen-shot-2011-09-10-at-11-10-13.png

Engine-6 received a big amount of damage to the front, and this is caused by the first tower ruins landed on the fire-engine itself were it burned the front of it.

The rest of the fire-engine were left with dents, and scratches.

After the engine was found at the grave yard, it was taken to a Orange County prison were it was cleaned from the contaminated material.

In-total Engine 6 lost Lt. O'Hagan, Ff. Paul Beyer, Ff. Tom Holohan, and Ff. Billy Johnston

My next fact is going to be Ladder 132

Post Your Facts Here!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ladder 132
ny_nyc_fdny_retired_ladder_132-1.jpg

L 132 did not come home. The entire company was caught in the collapse of the South Tower; the first building to come down.

Tom O'Leary working with Ladder 132
(this is what i could get)

My name is Tom O'Leary. I am a fireman at Engine 6. The night before, I was working with an engine company in Brooklyn to which I was temporarily assigned; Engine 280. Leading into the morning of 9/11 there were three unrelated events delaying my arrival to the WTC that may have saved my life?
This is my story.

In Brooklyn, I was assigned to a double house; Engine 280/Ladder 132. Engine 280 was manned by Lt. Pete Blum, FF. Marc Nicola, FF. Lou DeMontreaux, FF. Anthony Zopich, FF. Ralph Mandia and myself. I remember the night before both companies being in the kitchen having an informal drill on subway operations. It was different that night because usually when you're informally 'talking shop,' it's with only one, two or three guys. That night every member of both companies was in the kitchen. That was the last time I would see six of my brothers from these companies alive.

At about 8:30AM the engine went on an EMS run. The first plane struck some time during this run. When a company is on a run, they don't get 'recalled' to go on a different run. That EMS run was the first event that delayed our response to the WTC. On our way back to quarters we heard and briefly saw Ladder 132 zooming down one of the main avenues towards Manhattan, unaware of what they were heading into.

Arriving back at quarters we got a brief look at the news on TV before we got the call to go. "Engine 6 is already on the way," I recalled proudly. That kind of leads me to the second reason why we were delayed receiving the run. Engine 280's day crew was to be out of service at 9:00AM that morning due to a scheduled training day in another part of the city. When this happens, our dispatchers will not initially send the company working the tour before on a run out of their district right before the end of the tour. That was the second event. E 280 did not respond with L 132 for this reason. If the engine wasn't going out of service that morning, maybe we would have responded with them, maybe we wouldn't have. I'll never know.

On our way to Manhattan we were headed for the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel but were delayed again because all the cars that had come out the other side of the tunnel had stopped which caused what would be a permanent logjam inside the tunnel. Eventually, E-280 and many other Brooklyn companies turned themselves around and went over the Manhattan Bridge. I do not know why we headed for the tunnel and not the bridge as other companies were. Many of the companies that initially responded over the bridge did not return. This was the third reason why myself and Engine 280 were delayed and possibly why I am here today.

Ladder 132 crew

Capt. Thomas
Capt. Haskel
FF. John "Vig" Vigione,
FF. Thomas "Tommy" Mingione
FF. Andrew "Mongo" Jordan
FF. Sergio "Big Daddy" Villanueva
FF. Michael "Proby" Kiefer

No picture was taken of the destroyed/broken Ladder 132
ladder_132.jpg

In-total Ladder 132 lost Capt. Thomas Capt. Haskel, FF. John "Vig" Vigione, FF. Thomas "Tommy" Mingione, FF. Andrew "Mongo" Jordan, FF. Sergio "Big Daddy" Villanueva, FF. Michael "Proby" Kiefer and the rest of the company.

Side note: As there is allmost no information about Ladder 132 i would like to ask what fire-truck/Engine/Ladder i should research about, and post on this thread

Last edited: