Player Owned Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alright folks this is going to be a massive post, so sit back, get some popcorn or something and prepare to start reading.

First off, this is simply an idea, although I will be linking it to a poll at a later date to see what kind of support this gains because it is a complete and total overhaul of almost everything you have ever known of this gamemode as well as requires a few things to happen which may be unpopular. It is a radical shift for the server and what I believe could contribute to far more fun and entertainment for all players because it encourages players to work together better and interact as opposed to purely being isolated to do their own thing without having to help the city or anyone else.

What I have in mind is in the most simple of terms, turning the whole server into a player owned economy, by which players will be in charge of producing/refining/manufacturing all items within the server. To start off I will list several new jobs which would be needed for this.

The jobs in which a product is produced from their actions will be required to sell directly to an NPC who is in turn linked to another NPC somewhere else in the map who then other players are able to buy from but that stock will take time to arrive at the dockyards, and if there is someone in the delivery job it will request them to deliver the item(s). Quitting the job while still having items will remove those items and gain no reward. Also each of these jobs will have a skill tree attached to it so you gain new unlocks as you rank up your skill in the related topic. The higher the skill required to make/grow a product and slightly adding in your current level, the higher the NPC will pay you for doing it, but they will only assign tasks which are most needed according to their stock at that time, and your highest level of ability. Doing as a job will gain less EXP than if you did it privately, but you essentially get paid to raise the skill since pay is mostly reward based.

Keep in mind all players will be allowed to do these actions as well but not on as large of a scale, and are not required to sell to NPCs, any items they gather/craft are theirs to keep either for him or herself or possibly to sell to other players for a more competitive price than what the NPC shop may be willing to since NPCs will have a standard markup while players are able to define their own price for what they think an item is worth. Additionally, they could sell to an NPC at the appropriate store if they so chose, which would stock that NPC with a direct stock where instead of having to wait to be delivered, players would buy directly.
  • Producers
    • ​Gatherer - A player who will obtain basic materials such as metal ores, unrefined plastics, broken glass, etc.
    • Refiner - A player who takes the pieces the Gatherer has retrieved and refines into useful ones such as piece of metal, chunk of plastic, shard of glass, etc. which are then purchasable at a store.
    • Farmer - A player who can grow new crops such as corn, watermelons, tomatoes, peppers, onions, rice, etc.
    • Fisher - A player who can catch certain types of fish depending on where s/he is fishing at that time, if it is the lake or at the harbor. More types of fish would be added for this.
    • Chef - A player who takes the items grown by a Farmer and/or caught by Fisher and creates meals with them which would be sold in the restaurant, the benefit to buying these meals is they recover more hunger with fewer items and aren't as likely to make your player throw up (which makes a player hungrier). (possibly adding a way for players to poison/drug foods, which can't be sold but could be dropped for another player)
    • Manufacturer - A player who is tasked by an NPC to create certain items based on what the NPCs have in stock. Meaning that things such as stoves, pots, etc would not necessarily be available in stores, but would be among the first things a player would learn to craft.
  • Others
    • Merchant - A player who is capable of holding more weapons/items than a normal player. This player would be not allowed to participate in any raids, their function is simply to sell their wares. Anyone would be able to sell, but not as many items as a merchant, nor could they carry the number of weapons.
    • Supplier (optional) - Instead of having NPCs automatically deliver items given by players to the related other NPC, a supplier would be required to take the goods from that NPC to the appropriate store.
Additionally, for personal crafting, you would be given the list of required materials and it would show the number necessary to make that item 100% of the time, but you would be allowed to gamble by using less materials (still at least 1 of each type) but your chance of making the item successfully would go down as you use less, although it's still possible. If you fail to craft it however, you would lose all the materials you attempted to create it with. However, since materials don't necessarily cost anything, unless you buy from another player or NPC, you could go gather more at little cost to you besides the time to obtain them. This change would make shop prices variable between different players and encourage players to buy from others. So to raise up crafting skill, you could decide if you'd rather buy materials with cash you've earned from doing other jobs or go gather yourself.

Right now, if you have money, you go buy from an NPC who has an unlimited resource which is highly unrealistic and not good for general RP, because it decreases the level of player interaction with one another. So it would make players have to make tougher choices in what their priorities are and how they would like to earn their money, because although drugs would still earn the most money, money doesn't buy you everything then if you can not find a source to get materials from to raise your crafting.

For any of this change to happen though, it would require both skills and items to be reset, due to fairness for all, anyone joining after this system were incorporated would have a much harder time getting firearms skill up. Out of fairness it would be nice to reset money,cars,genes as well, but I know that is highly unpopular, so all I would request to be reset is skills/items people have. Your money/cars/genes would all remain.

I will leave this idea up for a few days before creating a poll to go along with so do not do +support or -support on this, wait for the poll. I am posting this to explain the idea, and if anyone has any questions, please ask. I know this is rather complicated and I probably didn't do a great job of explaining it, but I am more than willing to answer any questions anyone has on it. Also if you see me in game and want to ask me questions then, I will answer there as well since it is easier explained using voice rather than typing it out. Anyhow, take care and hope you understood what this has to offer.

Edit: I should add that this change would take a long time to get complete, so don't think anything you do will be reset anytime soon.

Vote on what you wouldn't mind having reset here: http://perpheads.com/forum/server/server-polls/4257-player-resets
To give support to this idea, it requires skills/items reset, other choices aren't as critical but would be good for all involved. There will be rewards to having this idea approved to all players who are active the week it gets released.

Reaction score
There are so many pros:
> An increased sense of immersion
> More ability of role-play as different options
> Very inventive and creative.
> Many more without need of listing, I am sure you can all decipher the amazing perception of Role-Play that this presents.

My main issue is that these ideas will put a lot of responsibility on the community to role-play each role to an utmost severity of it being realistic and generally good role-play.
> At times when the server is empty, maybe not enough producers are online; would this cause an economic collapse due to merchants not being able to sell are use raw materials to craft and sell goods?
> If not enough people want to role-play one job, in could crack the community.
> General reliance on the community, including new-comers.

Due to the reason that this would rely on the whole community. A chain is a strong as it's weakest link, so this ideology of a player-run economy is only as strong as the weakest role-player. Due to this fact I am going to -SUPPORT this suggestion. Don't get me wrong here, I want this in the community so badly, yet it just won't work in a public, non-whitelisted community. Please do not be angry with me. I have tried to back up my opinion with as much reasoning as possible.
Thank you
-Joey

-edited due to use of incorrect words and a grammatical error.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Instead of doing it so that the higher skill level jobs gives you more money, make it so that the longer the job takes the more money you get. Otherwise it's just the rich get richer.

Reaction score
Accepted. But seriously I would love it it would take a long time to code however it would and more depth freedom an imerstion to the game and the city of park lake oh wait crap this was made in 2014 don't worry haha (Kyle backs away in embarrassment)

Reaction score
3 years have passed since being announced.
This means Stephen can't count to 3 and it won't be added this year, he will most likely wait another year, just like Gabe Newell can't count to 3

Reaction score
Although this is really old now I thought of something; Why do you have to reset everything? Surely you could just make all of the suggested a job or something, leaving everyones current money, cars, skills etc.

However you intended to allow people to collect materials. Why not just add that in now so people can do it. Not saying I know what materials it could be but not sure why a reset is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.