Police Suggestion Police Punishments Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brief description of idea: These changes would bring a new system for giving tickets and punishing players as a police officer. The POC below is based on the jail system. This could be copied over to the ticket system, just without the duration.

What benefits would this idea have for the department:
  • Everyone is inputting laws in the same format, standardised across the entire PD. You will no longer have some people putting vague comments on punishments.
  • The maximum punishment for the selected law(s) will be outlined at the bottom of the screen, meaning you can't go over the maximum (more for newer players) - it will always show the highest punishment so you can't stack charges.
  • Visual indicator on duration/ticket price that disallows you from going over the maximum (not shown on POC below, all of the space to the right of the maximum will be greyed out, this is not the case for LT+ though) - suggested by @Mim
  • People will now be encouraged to include all laws in the reason as I know some people only put the maximum charge. This would be useful for reoffenders.
  • Only have to check boxes and drag a slider, no need to write out a bunch of text which takes up valuable police time.
What potential negatives could this have for the department:
  • My POC has quite a lot of text so maybe quite difficult to read? I'm no UI designer though so can probably be improved by the devs if implemented.
  • Visual indicator on duration/ticket price (from benefits) - This would mean Lieutenants+ would have to arrest the suspect themselves if someone requests to go over the maximum punishment.

Please reply with any other negatives as I can't think of anymore
Optional Additions:
  • Have the section at the bottom (everything underneath the last section box) sticky. Would mean it always shows on your screen and the scroll bar is only for the tabbed panels area.

Features:
  • Expandable Sections of the Penal Code
  • Scroll bar
  • Offence summary
  • Tells you maximum duration/ticket value of the highest sentence in your arrest
  • No writing required!
6gasqIv.jpg

Laws based on @Tyla Jai 's lawbook (can just be the law number and name to keep it simple)

Reaction score
Would definitely like to see this added. Seems like a good thing, especially for traffic stops and actually checking people on the computer to see if they were already punished for the same offence. Great Idea

Reaction score
Damn thats actually a good idea so new officers or anyone else can't abuse by giving over the limit. However what if the Officer lies and just selects the wrong charge ?

Reaction score
Damn thats actually a good idea so new officers or anyone else can't abuse by giving over the limit. However what if the Officer lies and just selects the wrong charge ?
There isn't really much that can be done about that. The only way would be to have a supervisor approve arrests but that's dumb and we should just trust cops for putting in the correct charges. If they do incorrectly charge, you can always make a report on them. I feel like there will only be a small number of people selecting the wrong charges.

Mim

Reaction score
There isn't really much that can be done about that. The only way would be to have a supervisor approve arrests but that's dumb and we should just trust cops for putting in the correct charges. If they do incorrectly charge, you can always make a report on them. I feel like there will only be a small number of people selecting the wrong charges.
Like Hayden said cops already incorrectly charge but now the argument of this being an accident is removed, this suggestion also makes it easier for newer officers to get started in the PD as all the laws and easy to access and they can’t really go wrong if they use their common sense.

Reaction score
Would it not be simple to make it that if a supervisor is online and alive then they can approve all arrests via Police computer? Or is that excessive.

Deleted member 5577

Would it not be simple to make it that if a supervisor is online and alive then they can approve all arrests via Police computer? Or is that excessive.
I imagine supervisors would love to have to approve every single arrest that happens while they're on duty im sure this won't cause them to get bored and leave at all

Reaction score
Maybe a bit excessive but it could be that they get a pop-up with a confirmation, if they see something is wrong they can deny the request otherwise approve it. Maybe on an app for the phone? With a minimum arresttime of like 5 years maybe?

Reaction score
I imagine supervisors would love to have to approve every single arrest that happens while they're on duty im sure this won't cause them to get bored and leave at all
I mean that’s why I also offered it was excessive! Words are great.

Reaction score
This sounds like a good idea, however to my understanding this will completely remove the description box to add any kind of additional comments and/or reasoning. This description box (while not many use it this way) could be used to include details of the arrest that could, if the suspect gets arrested again for similar offence, or is under investigation, aid with the investigation or in general be of use. I think the description box should definitely stay.

Reaction score
This sounds like a good idea, however to my understanding this will completely remove the description box to add any kind of additional comments and/or reasoning. This description box (while not many use it this way) could be used to include details of the arrest that could, if the suspect gets arrested again for similar offence, or is under investigation, aid with the investigation or in general be of use. I think the description box should definitely stay.
I was considering adding a description box for any extra notes about the arrest but was conviced by @Mim that it was quite redundant with all the check boxes. Maybe it's something that could be added anyway?

Reaction score
I was considering adding a description box for any extra notes about the arrest but was conviced by @Mim that it was quite redundant with all the check boxes. Maybe it's something that could be added anyway?
An additional description box will definitely prove to be useful, better overreact than under-react and face shortcomings later. Shall this be redundant (which I’m sure it won’t), removing it shouldn’t be an issue either.

Reaction score
An additional description box will definitely prove to be useful, better overreact than under-react and face shortcomings later. Shall this be redundant (which I’m sure it won’t), removing it shouldn’t be an issue either.
Just use remarks if you need to

Reaction score
Just use remarks if you need to
Tbh, I use remarks all the time but the point of this suggestion was to reduce valuable time waste and having to resort to remarks would take more time than if it had just been an option there

Mim

Reaction score
I have extremely rarely had to include such info in my punishments. Ever. I the reason I said for Hayden to keep it out of the proof of concept was because it defeats the point of the suggestion. The point of the suggestion is that punishments are more uniform and simpler to impose. There is no reason to add comments such as to punish them harder next time etc when that is up to the officer dealing with the next situations. If you need to make comments like that you are already going out of your way to do something so may as well include it in remarks.

I'm not saying making such comments are bad I just don't think it's necessary and like Tyla says if it's so important that the comments are made you can make a remark afterwards. (Ranked SO+) Its a very underused tool as it is.

BullyHunter

Communication Banned
Reaction score
The proof of concept looks like a cluster fuck imo. It's too messy & not very user friendly.

I think it would be much better if you typed in something in the format of:

"12.12, 11.9" and then it adjusts the slider's value (not maximum as there is 3.10) to the maximum value between 12.12 and 11.9.

"Speeding, 10.5" sets the slider value to the max value between speeding and 10.5.

"12.Speeding" Sets the slider value to the max value to the max value of the law that contains 'Speeding' in the header under section 12.

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of removing comments from the charging options, as people won't have an easy opportunity to include context to why certain charges are being included. That aside though, this would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.