Police Pursuits

Reaction score
The Police Handbook was just released and it looks pretty good, except for one thing.

It states that we can not stop a veichle by boxing it in, ramming, or pushing with our cars. This means we can only stop it with spikes. I strongly feel like we should be able to try to stop the car we are in pursuit of with our veichles. In the real world they do that, so why can't we do it in game? I'm just curious on what your guyses thoughts are on this, and if you want to change it back to the old way where we can use our cars, or keep it so we can only use spikes which can be easily avoided

Reaction score
Physical contact with the suspect's car should be a last resort if he's posing a serious threat and it's deemed appropriate to stop the car to prevent further accidents. If need be, supervisors will approve the usage of maneuvers which are intended to bring the evading car to a stop. The first thing you do shouldn't be trying to ram the car off the road or executing crazy stuff such as that. That's at least how I interpreted that part of the handbook.

Reaction score
Hi @Shortbusgangster! Glad you like it, all the authors have done an amazing job at this.

@Poxier hits the nail on the head really. Making physical contact with a vehicle is an extremely dangerous act and should only be performed in extreme circumstances in which public safety is at major threat.

7268b19309.png

As mentioned in the handbook, all of the above is not permitted unless authorised from Supervisory Command which is a Sergeant or above. I can see how this may be confusing because how it is laid out, I will get that changed.

The main reason this was changed was to make pursuits a lot more realistic and stop officers kamikaze diving into the vehicle 0.3 miliseconds into the start of the pursuit.

Hope this makes sense!

EDIT:
Added the same clause in under
d14055e4d1.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Shortbusgangster! Glad you like it, all the authors have done an amazing job at this.

@Poxier hits the nail on the head really. Making physical contact with a vehicle is an extremely dangerous act and should only be performed in extreme circumstances in which public safety is at major threat.

7268b19309.png

As mentioned in the handbook, all of the above is not permitted unless authorised from Supervisory Command which is a Sergeant or above. I can see how this may be confusing because how it is laid out, I will get that changed.

The main reason this was changed was to make pursuits a lot more realistic and stop officers kamikaze diving into the vehicle 0.3 miliseconds into the start of the pursuit.

Hope this makes sense!

EDIT:
Added the same clause in under
d14055e4d1.png
If the danger is at a major threat, and the highest rank is not a sergeant, but lets say corporal or senior.
Is he capable of making the call to force them off the road?

Reaction score
If the danger is at a major threat, and the highest rank is not a sergeant, but lets say corporal or senior.
Is he capable of making the call to force them off the road?

If it's justified and necessary then yes, you won't get in trouble for it. But it should always be a last resort much like the decision to use lethal force.

This isn't a change by the way, it's always been the case that you shouldn't make contact in a pursuit unless deemed absolutely necessary by your commanding officer. Only difference now is that it's written down.

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
The Police Handbook was just released and it looks pretty good, except for one thing.

It states that we can not stop a veichle by boxing it in, ramming, or pushing with our cars. This means we can only stop it with spikes. I strongly feel like we should be able to try to stop the car we are in pursuit of with our veichles. In the real world they do that, so why can't we do it in game? I'm just curious on what your guyses thoughts are on this, and if you want to change it back to the old way where we can use our cars, or keep it so we can only use spikes which can be easily avoided

Have you misread?

Law Enforcement Officers will not attempt to stop or slow a pursued vehicle by boxing in, heading off or ramming unless specifically authorized by Supervisory Command. Officers will not pursue vehicles the wrong way on the interstate or other controlled access highway, divided roadways, or one-way streets unless specifically authorized by Supervisory Command.

You can do it as long as it's authorised by a supervisor to be the correct use of force. This stops the problem of officers boxing and ramming suspects over traffic offences. Well, what I really mean is insures the right amout of force is used to apprehend a suspect.