Refill or Fire Extinguisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I've been playing on the server for almost 3 days now, and I noticed that every time the fire extinguisher runs out you have to sell it and buy another one.
So my idea is that you can refill your fire extinguisher, with charges that you buy or craft, or just go to the fire station and pay for a refill.

More realism (In real life people normally refill their house fire extinguishers).

Thanks for your time!
Give some feed back I will appreciate it.

Edit: The title is misspelled, it should be 'Refill your Fire Extinguisher'

Reaction score
When your fire extinguisher runs out in real life, your supposed to buy a new one. As ruptures can form, making it unsafe for use. Also you would have to get the pressure right, without blowing the thing up.
However, going to the fire station to have it refilled seems like a viable option

Evil Ls;n3592 said:
When your fire extinguisher runs out in real life, your supposed to buy a new one. As ruptures can form, making it unsafe for use. Also you would have to get the pressure right, without blowing the thing up.
However, going to the fire station to have it refilled seems like a viable option

A typical recharge will run you about $18 for a 5lb. unit and about $25 for a 10Lb. unit, if it is the rechargeable type. (depends on the extinguisher).

There are tons and tons of people that recharge their extinguishers after been used...

Yeah the fire station seems to me the best way to fit it in the game, but I'm no coder so I leave that to the person in charge, if the idea gets accepted.

Thank you.

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea really, but refills would not cost that little. There are two main reasons on why the fire extinguisher costs what it does. 1) Firefighter is a job that needs doing, having it so citizens can put out fires almost defeats the idea. 2) The prices in game need to have things overpriced as to make jobs/drugs necessary, so people don't simply live off their unemployment checks.

Deleted member 27

Not a bad idea, but I think it will hurt a bit the firefighter job, because players who have lot of money, can buy and refill the extinguisher without problems.
Therefore, I think it will harm the players who are firefighters, because if the players begin to erase forever the fires by themselves, firefighters will not earn much money ...

Options to resolve the problem:

1st option: Extinguishers and their refilling costing a lot of money;

2nd option: Delete this idea.

Sorry, I do not support this idea ...:(

afonso003;n3648 said:
Not a bad idea, but I think it will hurt a bit the firefighter job, because players who have lot of money, can buy and refill the extinguisher without problems.
Therefore, I think it will harm the players who are firefighters, because if the players begin to erase forever the fires by themselves, firefighters will not earn much money ...

Options to resolve the problem:

1st option: Extinguishers and their refilling costing a lot of money;

2nd option: Delete this idea.

Sorry, I do not support this idea ...:(

Hello,
making the extinguishers costing a lot of money to refill doesn't have a point because everybody is used to sell theirs and buy a new one.... so no point in that.

If the medic is rewarded 500$ for saving a live, the fireman could be rewarded for refilling a fire extinguisher, just and example.

Just to finish you shouldn't suggest to delete the idea, if you don't like it just ignore it...

If the idea doesn't get approved there is no problem with that, just sharing my thoughts.

Thank you. (Obrigado)

Reaction score
Well making firefighters not have a job to do because civilians can take care of it him/herself isn't really a good thing, even making extinguishers available to the public was questionable due to the necessity of firefighters. Also I don't know how exactly a firefighter would be able to refill an extinguisher. Since they already have one of their own, and I doubt people would be willing to drop one for them to pick up since they might not get it back. Perhaps talking to the NPC to refill, and when a player does, it pays firefighters currently in the job a slight reward much like it does for all of police when weapons are confiscated, otherwise it'd just pay the city what the person paid to have it refilled.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs;n3677 said:
Well making firefighters not have a job to do because civilians can take care of it him/herself isn't really a good thing

If you don't want civilians tackling a fire, make fires more dangerous; also, don't forget that it is rare to see civilians tackling fires outdoors, not on their property - these types of fires also tend to be the more difficult fires meaning fire fighters will always have a useful job to do.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
It's not a bad idea really, but refills would not cost that little. There are two main reasons on why the fire extinguisher costs what it does. 1) Firefighter is a job that needs doing, having it so citizens can put out fires almost defeats the idea. 2) The prices in game need to have things overpriced as to make jobs/drugs necessary, so people don't simply live off their unemployment checks.
"so people don't simply live off their unemployment checks" Welcome to England. :p

Reaction score
Luke;n3696 said:
If you don't want civilians tackling a fire, make fires more dangerous; also, don't forget that it is rare to see civilians tackling fires outdoors, not on their property - these types of fires also tend to be the more difficult fires meaning fire fighters will always have a useful job to do.

1) How exactly am I going to make them more dangerous?
2) This is true, but most people ignore those because they have no impact on anything that would effect them or others. Therefore they don't even call firefighters.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs;n3780 said:

Make them spread more quickly, and harder to put-out, for example. Another example, make it so that a fire can't be put-out quickly unless it has been burning for a while.

StephenPuffs;n3780 said:
2) This is true, but most people ignore those because they have no impact on anything that would effect them or others. Therefore they don't even call firefighters.

Luckily, government employees tend to be driving around who can 'call-it-in'.

Reaction score
+Support, there should indeed be a section in the fire station for refills and to re pressure the extinguisher.

Reaction score
Hmm I'll add something to the discussion here: There is almost never a fireman simply because the job is boring and i'm not speaking about putting out fires, that is fun! I'm speaking about the sometimes hours you have to wait till there is actually a fire and when there is one it takes you 5 mins to extinguish (I am talking about big fires). Also the pay for putting out a fire is quite frankly too low. A big fire gets you about 100 dollars for 5 minutes of work while a medic gets 500 dollars for each person he revives which take about 1 minute or less and is most of the time less dangerous.

Summarized what things I suggest:

- Like Luke said make the fire stronger and let it spread faster, so their is actually a reason why you would have a "team" of firemen;
- I aggree with OP for making the extinguisher refillable, however I don't really see the advantage of it;
- Increase the payment per fire of a fireman: 5 dollars each fire is a bit too low;
- Make the firetruck hose a bit larger, fires at izzy's place can't be fully reached with the hose;

I love this community everybody has nice ideas, and I' glad to help.

I agree with luke and mazz, the fireman job is quite boring and 'everybody' undervalues it, fires in real life have no mercy on people, objects, houses, etc.

The fireman job should be improve in some way to keep things balanced and real.

Thank you all.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
I live in America so...

Reaction score
Luke said:
StephenPuffs;n3780 said:

Make them spread more quickly, and harder to put-out, for example. Another example, make it so that a fire can't be put-out quickly unless it has been burning for a while.

StephenPuffs;n3780 said:

Luckily, government employees tend to be driving around who can 'call-it-in'.
1) When it was harder to put out and they spread faster people complained like mad how fires were exactly like that, but still no one would be firefighter or when there were, call them. Instead they would always call for an admin to put them out. Because if I have them spread too much they'll just cover the entire map so somehow I doubt that's a great idea, firefighters or not. There's no real winning when it comes to how fast or how hard they are to put out, because if no one puts them out, then we just have a fire going out of control for who knows how long, and I don't think admins should ever have to put out a fire unless that fire should not have started in the first place.

2) I've set plenty of fires on the map before, just to watch police drive by it and not make any mention of it, same goes for medic, roadcrew, mayor, SS, etc. I was driving around with my secret service the other day, and I had to forcibly tell them to report it in. So no matter who it is, fires don't seem to be reported.

Reaction score
-I can rake the pay up for each fire put out, however, the problem always remains with having fires and having a high pay per one is that firefighters in game will often times be in no hurry to put out a fire until it becomes massive so they get paid the most, and then some will just put out enough fires to keep getting paid then letting it expand again and repeating.
-Only way I will make extinguisher refillable is if a full recharge costs the same as a new but partial refills only cost whatever fraction is used and all proceeds go to city, as to not make firefighters obsolete.
-I can also once again make them more difficult to put out, but I expect to hear complaints about it like previously.
-That's no real problem, just too bad we can't have it drape like a real firehouse, because even using a Gmod rope between the truck/hydrant and player would be glitchy and go through walls and such.

As each fire bit is entirely separate essentially speaking, trying to have them linked together in any meaningful way is nearly impossible without putting a large strain on the server having to keep track of them all, making it nearly impossible to tell if a firefighter has put out all fires in an area.

Status
Not open for further replies.