SourceRes - A useful tool for moviemakers that work mainly with Source Engine games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Notice:This is just repost from teamfortress.tv .This is not supposed to be an advertisment for their servers or something else.

NOTICE! (again)
One note here: the instructions here say to put -insecure in your launch options. SINCE THIS PLUGIN MESSES WITH THE SOURCE ENGINE RUNNING WITHOUT -INSECURE AND CONNECTING TO A VAC SECURED SERVER MAY RESULT IN A VAC BAN.

Someone (bluee to be exact) from teamfortress.tv released a nifty tool called "SourceRes" that lets you set the resolution from source engine game to any* desirable resolution you want including larger than your screen.This is a useful tool for anyone that wants to create trailers/compilations/montages for our beloved PERP servers with Gmod with a really high resolution.I still haven't tried this out YET with Gmod but it should work.Here is the whole text and quote from the site:

SourceRes is a small plugin that lets you force a Source Engine game to run in any* resolution, including larger than your screen size.

Here's an example 4k (2160p) video I recorded on my 768p laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKdDciQc7k (thnx huhy 4 good demo)

Why?
Lange comes up with fun challenges
This is mainly for video producers who want to record at a higher resolution than their screen supports, and don't want to record at a smaller resolution and then upscale.

Which games?
TF2, of course, but because it just fiddles with the engine, it works on any game using the same engine.
Currently, the plugin supports:
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Portal 1
  • Half-Life 2
Not working yet:
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (partially working, though not with this download)
  • Portal 1 (Pre-SteamPipe)
  • Half-Life 2 (Pre-SteamPipe)
Untested:
  • HL2 Episodes, probably works
  • Source 2013 mods, probably works
  • Any game/engine not mentioned probably won't work
Install
  1. Download using the link below
  2. Copy SourceRes folder to your game's custom folder
    - If the game doesn't have a custom folder (Portal/HL2/CSGO), make an addons folder and copy SourceRes/addons/SourceRes.dll & .vdf to the new addons folder
  3. Add -insecure to launch options
  4. Mac/Linux not supported right now, sorry!
Usage
  1. Add -insecure to launch options (Lawena has an option to do this for you!)
  2. Launch the game in windowed mode, resolution doesn't matter
  3. Open the console and move it to the top-left, so you don't lose it after resize
  4. 'sr_forceres [width] [height]', example 'sr_forceres 3840 2160' for UHD/YouTube 4k
  5. playdemo and let your VDMs handle startmovie/endmovie
Notes
  • Do not use this in fullscreen mode. I haven't tested what the engine will do if you force a resolution larger than the screen size in fullscreen mode. It might go to windowed mode, it might crash, it might damage your monitor. Use windowed mode.
  • I don't know if there is a limit on how high it can go, or if it depends on hardware limits. I have only tested up to 3840x2160 on my laptop's GT525M.
  • 4k TGAs are 27MB, so if you want to use that resolution make sure you have enough disk space, or use SrcDemo to convert to PNG, which usually cuts off more than 50% of the size.
  • The small font in that video seems to be a HUD problem, here's the eXtv HUD at the same resolution with working fonts: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6635591/t0010.png
  • Dunno what happens if you give it something that isn't 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10.
  • Is Videos the right subforum? I dunno.
Download
Current: SourceRes 1.0
All releases: GitHub
Source code: github.com/MattMcNam/source-res

Example video for those that missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKdDciQc7k

Status
Not open for further replies.