Updated Performance Guide

Reaction score
Removed as I do more harm than good. DM me if you need assistance. Below is the only things you should look out for/use.

r_3dsky 0
r_shadows 0

required commands for multithreading (gmod_mcore_test 1 does not work without these)
gmod_mcore_test 1
mat_queue_mode -1
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 1
r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1
r_queued_ropes 1
studio_queue_mode 1

use the correct beta branch for 64-bit. If this crashes your game use the one that's an update behind.
xCogqJy.png

Textures to high or very high (mat_picmip -1) as Source Engine has a thing where it uses less of your GPU once textures are set to very low making it more CPU bound which we don't want

use 2x or even 4x msaa on 1080p, 2x on 1440 and none at 4k. This seems to have another affect on performance on GPU that was observed in TF 2 when my memory serves correctly.
lower your resolution if needed, don't play on stretched and in most cases do try to play on native resolution. FSR/RSR does not do anything in this game as it is CPU bound.

if you're on ryzen enable docp/xmp and use your ram's rated speed
most of these things i mentioned can be looked up easily
don't ask me for a .cfg
if all fails upgrade CPU

goodbye

Last edited:

Max

Reaction score
Im so clueless on how to utilize the config properlly please for the love of god help

Reaction score
Make a new .txt file, paste everything from the .cfg inside and make sure to replace the x values. Save As, name it 'autoexec.cfg' and select All Files right under it and place the .cfg you just made in the directory I specified above

Max

Reaction score
What part of the cfg do I copy the top part or the raw paste part? And a txt file is just something like notepad?

Reaction score
Bad News for GeForceNow users, unless you want errors and missing textures, you can not play Garry's mod, I just tried and it did not work. ;(