The question of all time

Reaction score
Hello!

Back in 2013, when I started playing on perp. I thought this was so strange, a thing that has been for all years.

I have been awake countless nights thinking and wondering why it is like this.

So..

Why is there a delay to the steering in vehicles? I've asked around but never got an answer.

Reaction score
I am not an expert but I believe every action you do is actually being sent to the server as a packet and awaiting for a response in return to complete the action. As response time delays, your input goes delayed. I believe it's called ping. Even sometimes shooting was barely possible when we had 100+ players on.

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels that way.

Reaction score
i think this applies to everything, even moving props. If you drive a vehicle in single player you will notice that the actions are instantaneous, and like Smokey says, your data is probably sent through the server first

Reaction score
Moving your character which is instant as the work for that is done through here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com...rver_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization (at least from what I've had a quick glimpse over).
Vehicles function in a way where it pretty much requires the server to do the work and if this wasn't the case, you could have laggy af mfs with teleporting cars, GTA online has shown examples of this.

Reaction score
  • Staff
Yeah I get that it takes time for the client to send data to the server, so that the server then can send the action back to the client.

But I was just curious since I've been on other servers that don't have this.

Reaction score
I got an easy roleplay answer, your character takes some time actually steering the wheel. Lets just pretend that this is the cause
how long do you think it takes to move a steering wheel irl, particularly at speed