what fire & rescue service?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4431
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4431

Main Idea: to increase the relevance of the fire department

Full description of the idea:

I posted a suggestion four years ago about the relevance of firefighters in the server. fast forward to present day and nothing has changed. a fire and rescueservice does not just respond to fires - the clue is in the name. they respond to traffic collisions, chemical spillages(these are absent from perp with meth explosion effects excluded) and rescue people in hazardous areas - i.e water, particularly the leech infested hicktown waters in this instance.

1) Get a new full sized engine. The current one is passable at best. Ropey controls that simulate driving on black ice and poor visual quality do not make people want to play as a firefighter. There are dozens of fire engines from different packs that are much more visually pleasing and easy to drive. I don't think implementing these vehicles with the perp schema will be a challenge.

2) More variety. Firefighters are needed for more than just fires, hencewhy they have a variety of vehicles. A ladder truck similar to this one would have a bigger impact than you
think. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=829570353

3) Give the fire hose a visible model, along with a visible pipe. Do you think people enjoy seeing firefighters using invisible tools?

4) Add some sort of system where upon collision there is a possibility for people to be trapped in their vehicles. This happens in real life at almost every collision. Firefighters are required to cut the victim free. However this is garry's mod, not real life, but that doesn't mean it can't be simulated to a degree. I am aware this may be complicated to code. Upon a crash there is a possibility that your car will suffer damage which results in you being trapped. You cannot exit the vehicle as you are trapped, something which will be relayed to the person via a message in the bottom right of the screen(similar to the jumping out at high speeds message). Firefighters will be equipped with a new swep, 'Extrication Tools'. Upon approaching the crashed car the firefighter will be able to press R on the vehicle. A sound will play for a respectable amount of time, 15 or more seconds, which resembles metal being cut. Once done the sound will stop and the person will be able to exit the vehicle. In the meantime, police have sectioned off the lane(or road, depending on the number of cars involved) and medics will be on scene to deliver first aid. The firefighter will be able to attend in a first responder, giving it use as it is currently never required for callouts. The chance of you becoming trapped will depend on the severity of your crash. Higher speed crashes and car-on-car collisions have a higher chance. We have a system where handcuffed players cannot exit police cars, surely it can be reworked to be used in this system?

What secondary effect does this have? People will adhere to the car damage rule and stop driving so wrecklessly.

I am more than aware this will be somewhat challenging to code. So what? Yes, I am not the one coding it, but the amount of value this adds to firefighters and the potential it has to create more roleplay situation is worth it. What's the alternative, you crash at 60mph and just turn the engine back on after a few seconds?

5) An NPC at the beach and Hicktown allowing firefighters to spawn a motorised dinghy. This is coming back to the word 'rescue' I mentioned earlier. There is a body stuck in the hicktown waters, it's either been thrown over the bridge or someone has succumbed to the leeches. What now? Nothing. You look at whoever called it in and say there's nothing you can do. How realistic does that sound? Officers and paramedics leaving a dying human in a lake because they can't get them out. The answer is simply - it isn't realistic. In real life the fire service would dispatch a boat to retrieve the body and deliver it to the shore where paramedics can do their work. There will be an NPC at the beach and Hicktown waters that allows the dinghy to be spawned.

The immediate argument towards this will be misuse by minges. The chance of a system like this causing issues is exaggerated, there is little harm someone can do with one of these and any harm done will be swiftly corrected by admins or reported on the forums.

Why should it be added?: Look at the state of the fire department. Responding to a fire every couple of hours that you put out in a 60 seconds. Nobody plays this role like they do a police officer or paramedic. The only time this role is played is when a broadcast is put out that the city needs firefighters.

Pros: brings the fire department from its knees. more fun for everyone

Cons: none, any possibilities are discussed above

i completely understand some of the suggestions may be hard to implement or code. however are you telling me it's not worth it to make the server better? put the effort in and it will pay off

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
+support

It has been suggested before and dont think anything happened but I do see where you come from and it would be good to see more happening from the FD.

and at least change the vehicles they have been in since 2014.

Reaction score
Why should it be added?: Look at the state of the fire department. Responding to a fire every couple of hours that you put out in a 60 seconds. Nobody plays this role like they do a police officer or paramedic. The only time this role is played is when a broadcast is put out that the city needs firefighters.
Ive been firefighter a lot and this is straight up bullshit tbh. But your idea could work

Reaction score
I've crafted 15 molotovs so for the next few days firefighter won't be all that boring ;p. But I agree, firefighters actual roles outside fires and giving people smoke alarms are all pretty dead nowadays,

Deleted member 4431

It isn't bullshit. Aside from the people like you and me who put an insurmountable effort in to be included, this is how it is for everyone else.

Sam

Reaction score
We will introduce changes to the Firefighter and medic job in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.