A new pet

Reaction score
Been thinking of getting a new pet. Something low maintenance, as I already have 2 turtles and a gecko which consume a fair bit of money as is. Also looking after my sisters hamster whilst she’s at uni.

I like exotic animals typically, like reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. I’m thinking of getting an invertebrate of some sort, my exact preferences are:

- it should be insectivorous as we often end up with more live insects than our gecko can eat, resulting in the locusts we feed him growing too big for him to safely eat.
- it should be low maintenance and not an avid escaper.

Im thinking right now of getting a giant Asian mantis.

Tl;dr: I want a bug that eats other bugs.

EDITED FOR FURTHER CLARITY:
- Due to housing conditions and circumstances, we cannot have a dog, cat, or other house animal.
- Limitations in space in our garden means that we cannot own a garden pet either.
- We already have Mississippi mapped turtles, 6 pond fish (In a separate pond to the turtles), a crested gecko, a Syrian hamster, and tropical fish.

I will probably end up getting numerous small enclosures and getting a few mantis’s and scorpions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Get a bearded dragon since they eat locusts and I wouldn't say they are really high maintenance once you have everything setup.

Reaction score
This is true, they just sleep all day and do fuck all, just learn them to shit outside

Tomo

Communication Banned
Reaction score
get some ants its fun to see the colony grow

Reaction score
I want one but no room. Keep in mind that I already have a crested gecko in a 45x 45 x90 cm enclosure, a hamster in an enclosure of similar size and turtles that have there own pond and shed.

Reaction score
I have ants, Messor Barbarus to be exact. All you need to do is get them one of those glass box things to live in, put some seeds in and watch the colony grow.

It's honestly very fun and fascinating to watch what they do, I turned an aquarium into an ant cave and they just moved into it.

Deleted member 1235

Just get something that doesn't make your house stink.

When my work colleague told me he kept birds, cats and lizards and shit I knew his house would stink. Low and behold when I visited his gaff it smelt like ghandis flip flop.

Go for something that can enjoy freedom instead of spending life in a box. Get a dog or a cat, you can take them for walks and cuddle up with them in the evenings.

Failing that. A terrapin is pretty cool

Reaction score
We already have 2 terrapins. Terrapins are absolute dogshit pets to keep unless you’re specifically interested in them, trust me, we’ve had to spend roughly $2000 on medical bills, enclosures, etc. They now live in a custom built semi outdoor enclosure made from a garden greenhouse shed.

I also own a crested gecko which is a high humidity “rainforest” lizards, which usually are the worst smelling and because I spot clean his home daily the only smell is just the smell of damp soil.