Server Suggestion Add AK-74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Add AK-74
Suggestion Description: There are plenty of guns here indeed. But a lot of firearms are still missing for some reason. One of those guns is 5.45.x39 AK-74M, which was a primary assault rifle in arms for about 50 years in vast list of countries. We have AKS-74U. AKM and AK-101 in game already, why not add the actual full-sized AK-74M

Why should this be added?:
- New gun
- 5.45x39 Suppressor and AK-74U magazine already in game
- AK-74M is quite different of AK-101 so it won't be a same gun

What negatives could this have?:
- If I was a developer, I would be to lazy to do this
- Not the most necessary thing for server right now

Reaction score
Sure, adding a new gun like the AK-74M to our Garry's Mod server sounds cool, but let's consider a few reasons why it might not be the best idea right now:

1. Weapon Overload: We've already got a bunch of guns in the game, and throwing in more might confuse folks or make it harder to balance things out.
  2. Messing with Game Balance: New weapons can mess up how the game's supposed to be played. If this AK-74M is way better than what we've got, everyone might just start using it, and that's no fun.
  3. Development Hassles: Making a new gun isn't as easy as it sounds. Our devs have their hands full with other stuff, like fixing bugs and making the game run smoother.
  4. Niche Appeal: Maybe not everyone's into this AK-74M. We should consider if most players would even care about it.
  5. Bugs and Issues: New stuff often brings new problems. We'd need to fix those bugs, and that takes time and effort.
  6. Player Feedback: We should ask our players what they think. If most don't really want the AK-74M, maybe it's not worth it.
In the end, we want our server to be the best it can be, I believe that time could be spend better.

Reaction score
Sure, adding a new gun like the AK-74M to our Garry's Mod server sounds cool, but let's consider a few reasons why it might not be the best idea right now:

1. Weapon Overload: We've already got a bunch of guns in the game, and throwing in more might confuse folks or make it harder to balance things out.
  2. Messing with Game Balance: New weapons can mess up how the game's supposed to be played. If this AK-74M is way better than what we've got, everyone might just start using it, and that's no fun.
  3. Development Hassles: Making a new gun isn't as easy as it sounds. Our devs have their hands full with other stuff, like fixing bugs and making the game run smoother.
  4. Niche Appeal: Maybe not everyone's into this AK-74M. We should consider if most players would even care about it.
  5. Bugs and Issues: New stuff often brings new problems. We'd need to fix those bugs, and that takes time and effort.
  6. Player Feedback: We should ask our players what they think. If most don't really want the AK-74M, maybe it's not worth it.
In the end, we want our server to be the best it can be, I believe that time could be spend better.
A lot of the guns are not used, if you have it you use it, adding a gun would just a bit more variety and suite peoples play styles better.

Attachments

• 1f913.png
    1f913.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
A lot of the guns are not used, if you have it you use it, adding a gun would just a bit more variety and suite peoples play styles better.

I appreciate your perspective on adding more guns for variety to better suit different play styles. It's true that in a game like Garry's Mod, having a diverse range of weapons can enhance the overall gaming experience, allowing players to choose the firearms that align with their preferred playstyle.

However, it's essential to maintain a balance between variety and gameplay balance. Introducing a new gun should ideally come with careful consideration of how it affects existing gameplay dynamics and whether it creates an unfair advantage for some players. Server administrators and developers need to ensure that the addition of a new weapon enhances the overall experience for the majority of players without negatively impacting the balance or turning the game into a chaotic arms race.

Additionally, community feedback plays a vital role in deciding which weapons to introduce. Consulting with players and understanding their preferences can help make informed decisions about expanding the arsenal of available weapons. Ultimately, the goal is to provide an enjoyable and balanced gaming experience for everyone.

Reaction score
I appreciate your perspective on adding more guns for variety to better suit different play styles. It's true that in a game like Garry's Mod, having a diverse range of weapons can enhance the overall gaming experience, allowing players to choose the firearms that align with their preferred playstyle.

However, it's essential to maintain a balance between variety and gameplay balance. Introducing a new gun should ideally come with careful consideration of how it affects existing gameplay dynamics and whether it creates an unfair advantage for some players. Server administrators and developers need to ensure that the addition of a new weapon enhances the overall experience for the majority of players without negatively impacting the balance or turning the game into a chaotic arms race.

Additionally, community feedback plays a vital role in deciding which weapons to introduce. Consulting with players and understanding their preferences can help make informed decisions about expanding the arsenal of available weapons. Ultimately, the goal is to provide an enjoyable and balanced gaming experience for everyone.
its a gun dude there is legit no need to have a turbo virgin rant about how it will make the server unbalanced, im sure the developers know more about the guns and keeping them balanced.

Reaction score

Tbh i get your point abt the new play style and stuff, but it has been a long time since af new weapon has been added and ofc they have to take reprecaution of the guns abilities. Imo they could also do what other big companies does, add a new character(which is the gun in this scenario) then let time pass, recieve feedback and fix it.

Reaction score
We have too many guns already. A generic looking AK in 7.62, a generic looking one in 5.45, SAKO and the NATO calibre AK. Czech guns, russian guns, Yugo underfolders, who really cares.

Instead I want a rocket launcher. 50k for launcher, 30k per rocket. one shot TFU van, lets gooooo

Reaction score
We have too many guns already. A generic looking AK in 7.62, a generic looking one in 5.45, SAKO and the NATO calibre AK. Czech guns, russian guns, Yugo underfolders, who really cares.

Instead I want a rocket launcher. 50k for launcher, 30k per rocket. one shot TFU van, lets gooooo
Make thread with this suggestion ill support all the way!

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Add AK-74
Suggestion Description: There are plenty of guns here indeed. But a lot of firearms are still missing for some reason. One of those guns is 5.45.x39 AK-74M, which was a primary assault rifle in arms for about 50 years in vast list of countries. We have AKS-74U. AKM and AK-101 in game already, why not add the actual full-sized AK-74M

Why should this be added?:
- New gun
- 5.45x39 Suppressor and AK-74U magazine already in game
- AK-74M is quite different of AK-101 so it won't be a same gun

What negatives could this have?:
- If I was a developer, I would be to lazy to do this
- Not the most necessary thing for server right now
We have the AK101 which is already an AK74M but chambered in 5.56. If you look in the files for the AK101 you’ll see that its listed as a 74 (Because it is)

I would rather see something like a 5.45 galil added than an AK74 seeing as we basically have it in the form of a 101 already. That being said I will elaborate below on how this would hypothetically not be as much of a hassle to add.

Weapon Overload: We've already got a bunch of guns in the game, and throwing in more might confuse folks or make it harder to balance things out.
Moot point, As weapon variety at the moment isn’t necessarily as strong as you might believe, most 5.56 rifles aren’t all too different from one another, all of them do the same damage, and overall arent All that much different except cosmetically.

Development Hassles: Making a new gun isn't as easy as it sounds. Our devs have their hands full with other stuff, like fixing bugs and making the game run smoother.
To be fair again this probably wouldn’t be that much of a development hassle, seeing as the reload, model and animations could directly inherit from the AK-101, seeing as the AK-101 is just an AK74M in 5.56. 98% of the AK-101 could be reused in making a 74M, just make it take 74U mags, change the muzzle attachment whitelist so it accepts the 5.45 suppressor and not the 5.56 suppressor and adjust performance to suit the caliber. Theoretically, even animation work wouldn’t be entirely necessary as I’m sure the reload animation would still look fine with a 101 mag.

Suggesting weapons that are direct variants of existing guns means that in terms of development efforts that huge corners can be cut thus eliminating the need for custom animations. Fallout new vegas for example, recycled most animations beyond firing animations for DLC weapons in order to cut down development time.

Niche Appeal: Maybe not everyone's into this AK-74M. We should consider if most players would even care about it.
I would argue that the 74 is one of the most depicted firearms in video game media and it’s certainly not niche.

Bugs and Issues: New stuff often brings new problems. We'd need to fix those bugs, and that takes time and effort.
The weapon system is pretty universal, I don’t think your ChatGPT response is taking that into consideration here.

It’s not so much “Would it be worth the huge amount of effort to add an AK74M to perp”, because in reality, it would arguably be one of the easiest additions to the firearms roster due to the reasons in my aforementioned above points, neither is it necessarily going to change any balance factors as 5.45 is a relatively weak rifle ammo caliber (the weakest even).

There probably wouldn’t be any harm in this addition but at the same time having better weapons developed with more use would be a more valuable use of our servers content packs.

This idea would basically be adding an AK101 that does maybe 3 less points of damage than a 101, takes a different mag and suppressor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.