Big brain debate time/ inevitable dumpster fire thread: gun ownership

Gun control in your country, how do you feel about it?

• I feel as though my country should tighten regulations slightly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel as though my country should abolish the laws completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
We’re going to discuss gun ownership, your local laws regarding guns, if you agree with them, etc.

In the UK, all concealable firearms, semi automatic firearms above .22 LR, and fully automatic firearms are completely restricted unless home office approval from the secretary of justice is given. This also applies to all firearms with a caliber higher than .50 BMG. Revolvers are legal under a section 1 firearms certificate given that they are either converted to fire via black powder, or they are given a longer barrel and either have a stock or a metal pole that Prevents them from being concealed on your person.

We have 3 main sections firearms are classified under. Section 1, Section 2, and section 5.

Section 1 applies for bolt action rifles, high caliber and high powered air rifles, shotguns that are magazine fed, pump action, lever action, and semi automatic with a capacity of more than 2+1 In the chamber. It also applies to shorter shotguns.

Section 2 is shotguns, which is undoubtedly the easiest license to get a hold of. As a land owner or someone who lives in the countryside, given that you don’t have any criminal charges that carried a 3 month + sentence, and you are confirmed to be in good mental health from your GP, You‘re essentially liable to purchase a shotgun certificate. The shotgun must have a stock, a fairly long barrel, and a limited capacity of 3 rounds.

Section 5 firearms are essentially completely illegal. This rule applies to any firearms that would be considered a combat weapon after 1899. It applies to all semi automatic firearms above .22LR, and fully automatic firearms. It also applies to handguns, short barrelled rifles, Pistol gripped shotguns with folding or the complete absence of a stock, fully automatic air guns that fire metallic projectiles, explosives launchers, Stun guns, Pepper spray and similar chemical sprays or anything that fires a chemical projectile with Intent to stun and incapacitate.

There’s also section 7, which applies to section 5 firearms that are of historical significance, this law is to prevent the destruction of WW2 relics Unless they were used in, or to assist with, a crime. An example of a “heritage” gun would be a Luger that was captured during WW1. Section 7 licenses are usually only given to incredibly long time collectors or museums however.

Air weapons with a ft lbs energy rating of 12 and under, and air pistols with an energy rating of 6ft/lbs and under do not require any form of regulation if they’re caliber is shorter than .25. Certain black powder firearms don’t need licenses to own either, but an explosives certificate and club membership is needed if you wish to fire them. The club membership and passing the background test, as well as potentially a course in safe black powder handling is how you obtain the certificate. Crossbows, bows, and Paintball guns are classified as sporting equipment and can be ordered online or bought in person by anyone over 18. (Except for bows, the only thing you need to be 18 to buy in regards to manual bows is the arrows)

My personal opinion about gun control is somewhat conflicted. I see no real reason why a law abiding citizen who’s a generally stable individual with an interest in guns shouldn’t be allowed to own one, given that said citizen is able to demonstrate that they will be responsible with said guns and pose no danger to the public. But on the other hand, I understand why certain firearms are banned. Britain isn’t really the sort of place anyone would need to carry a firearm for personal protection for unless they were actually protecting something.

A downside to our gun laws, of course, is in the event of a door step robbery or another violent home invasion, we would often have to either comply with the orders of the intruders or fight them off with something primitive or something like a cricket bat or whatever you can find.

Also, since we don’t have a gun issue, we have a massive knife issue, which is in itself fucked. I mean for the masses it’s better than a gun problem but only slightly.

Before the start of the 1900’s, British gun culture was thriving. Pubs would have both indoor and outdoor shooting ranges and the term “a rifle in every cottage” was widely supported. But it all went downhill from there for gun enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
>sees thread
> 0 replies
BORING

I think any citizen when passing a psychological and background check should be able to possess a firearm. it's very difficult but possible in my country but you can not use it for defense of life or property. I dont think open carry laws are the solution, but i dont mind a shopkeep keeping a gun under his table.