Brits & Guns

Reaction score
The taboo topic of firearms amongst civilians is rarely discussed openly in the UK. Many people believe that it's not actually possible to legally own and shoot a gun in the UK. I've put this post up as I do enjoy shooting air rifles/pistols and intend to shoot rifles and long barrel pistols in future. Before I go into explaining the topic there are a few UK definitions I must run over:

Firearm: any barrelled weapon that, by means of an explosive charge, launch a bullet, missile or any other projectile. This obviously excludes air pistols

Semi-Automatic: capable of shooting once every time the trigger is pulled without any cocking.

Fully-Automatic: capable of sustained fire from one trigger pull.

Prohibited Firearm: a non-semiautomatic firearm exceeding 12 inches in barrel length or 20 inches in total length. A smooth bore shotgun of diameter 2inches or less.

Illegal Firearm: semi/fully-automatic (nearly every case) firearm or one shorter than 12 inches in barrel or 20 inches in total length.

So, what can an English person attain when it comes to firearms? With a lose me, you can own:

Pistols:
It is illegal to own a pistol that is fully automatic or semi automatic. If the barrel length is over 12 inches, a revolving pistol.

Shotguns:
From my knowledge, as long as the barrel is of appropriate length, any non semi shotgun is perfectly acceptable to own yet if it is cocked by usage of semi automatics or pump barrels, the firearm must not be capable of holding more than three bullets including the chambered one.

Rifles:
Any bolt action rifle, that meets length requirements and is chambered at .22 or below is classed a prohibited firearm.

Without a lisence, you can own:

Air rifles:
Any air rifle with less than 12ftlbs power is legal with 2 forms of ID stating you are over 18

Air pistols:
Any air pistol with less than 6ftlbs power is legal with ID 2 forms of ID stating you are over 18

Muzzle loading pistols and rifles:
A muzzle loading gun is not considered a firearm by law. Only propellants allowed are those of class 1 explosives like black powder.

Where can you shoot:

Private land:
To my knowledge, if you are the owner or have written permission from an owner, you can shoot on land.

Shooting ranges:
Licences ranges are obviously legal to shoot at.

What can I shoot:

Birds:
Any non endangered birds can be shot with humane methods. You must provide reason for shooting and ensure every shot is a clean kill, no bird should be left wounded and must be dispatched

Mammals:
On private land, using air rifles to kill grey squirrels is legal with no other reasoning over than them being grey.

On private land, deer shooting is legal in closed season yet you must ensure the deer is not moving when shot and there isa hard backdrop behind the deer. Every shot must be considered a hit until proven otherwise by intense searching for a wounded dear.

Well, this is something I quite enjoy and I hope I've educated a few of you on the UK and its firearm usage.

Reaction score
I have an M9 in my wardrobe, I've shot it twice, it's cool I guess.

I like these things more than handguns and rifles;
1200px-Leopard_2_A5_der_Bundeswehr.jpg

Deleted member 1235

Shot a .22 rifle at the local gun club a few times, only time I really see guns are on the popo in London

Reaction score
guns are really cool but i dont think they're are a taboo topic. my brother goes to air force bases and usually uses an L98 to shoot targets and i have an air rifle in my wardrobe at the moment

also did you know daewoo made a gun called the Daewoo K2 which is similar to another gun idk what its called

Reaction score
Being in the Danish Home Guard I get to play around with this: quite often.
And since I am also the anti-tank guy in my group I also carry around this Was just on a training exercise this entire weekend and just came home a few hours ago, but I certainly got to shoot with both of them quite alot
Also, since I am part of the Danish Home Guard, if I really wanted too, I would be able to have my own rifle in my own house, but that would require a gun-safe that has to be bolted to the floor and I don't think my landlord would be too happy about that.

Reaction score
Being in the Danish Home Guard I get to play around with this: quite often.
And since I am also the anti-tank guy in my group I also carry around this Was just on a training exercise this entire weekend and just came home a few hours ago, but I certainly got to shoot with both of them quite alot
Also, since I am part of the Danish Home Guard, if I really wanted too, I would be able to have my own rifle in my own house, but that would require a gun-safe that has to be bolted to the floor and I don't think my landlord would be too happy about that.
When did they start letting sex offenders join the Danish home Guard?

Reaction score
I’ve worked in one of the last gun factories in West Midlands round by me and with shotgun licenses you need to pay £50 and have a special gun cabinet and separate ammo and the gun. With the firearms license you need proof that you actually own land (don’t matter how big or small)

The factory was good, small work force and was looking for apprentices, was in a 50m tunnel where a fresh made rifle was being tested and it was loud as fuck as the sound bounced back and it made your heart shake.