C++ - Still worth it?

Reaction score
Just really want to see what the community thinks.

Is it worth still learning C++ to get into something like game development, or should I just move onto a different language like C# or Java?

Reaction score
Yes.

EDIT: Please do not make the title question different from the question in your post, it causes confusion. I'm answering the title.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Late response again, but anyways.

Just really want to see what the community thinks.

Is it worth still learning C++ to get into something like game development, or should I just move onto a different language like C# or Java?

Learn a simpler language first, such as C# or even as a starter PHP. Almost all programming languages follow the same principles such as objects, types, etc.

Stop focussing on the language, and start focussing on how you build your programs / games, learn how to work with MVC architectures or whatever that might be called in the game programming world and move from there, once you get the hang of that switching languages should not be a challenging task.

A mistake I see many starting programmers make is thinking that a programming language defines a program, or for that matter how well it will run / what it's quality will be. This is however not the case, a game made in C# can run just as smooth as a game made in C++, the quality is defined by the knowledge the programmer has about how he has to efficiently build the application.

A tool is only as useful as the worker is skillful.

Tl;dr: pick something simple, learn how to actually build the applications and then apply your knowledge to other languages.

Reaction score
Late response again, but anyways.

Learn a simpler language first, such as C# or even as a starter PHP. Almost all programming languages follow the same principles such as objects, types, etc.

Stop focussing on the language, and start focussing on how you build your programs / games, learn how to work with MVC architectures or whatever that might be called in the game programming world and move from there, once you get the hang of that switching languages should not be a challenging task.

A mistake I see many starting programmers make is thinking that a programming language defines a program, or for that matter how well it will run / what it's quality will be. This is however not the case, a game made in C# can run just as smooth as a game made in C++, the quality is defined by the knowledge the programmer has about how he has to efficiently build the application.

A tool is only as useful as the worker is skillful.

Tl;dr: pick something simple, learn how to actually build the applications and then apply your knowledge to other languages.
I dont exactly agree with this, IMO learning a lower-level language like C/CPP is better than learning something like C#... You would learn so much more about your computer, how memory works... C# just gives you a set of tools and does too much of the work for you...

Reaction score
Your point is? C# is a great language, which aids you highly... For starters not very good tbf, but for experienced programmers, yes.

Reaction score
Your point is? C# is a great language, which aids you highly... For starters not very good tbf, but for experienced programmers, yes.
i disagree, i found c# one of the easiest languages to start with, especially due the MANY free and easy to understand resources available. You can compare to arduino, it's not entirely the same but i hope it's an easy comparison. View some unity tutorials(c#) and Unreal engine tutorials(C++) and you'll also discover the difference quickly.

C# was my 'gateway' to learning all about .NET, .ASP, web development, which i all found very easy to understand and learn due to c#.

of course everyone is different, but considering Unity3D is free, you can give yourself a challenge and just dive right into it.

id recommend watching this guy's series of videos where he explains working with visual studio and giving coding examples, these really show well how c# works. once you get the hang of it try to improve your work like riekelt explained.

Reaction score
@Tilin I the guy I quoted said that he recommends C# for beginners, I said I disagree because it will not teach you anything about how a computer actually works. I do agree it is a great language in general for developers

Reaction score
I dont exactly agree with this, IMO learning a lower-level language like C/CPP is better than learning something like C#... You would learn so much more about your computer, how memory works... C# just gives you a set of tools and does too much of the work for you...

Gaining an understanding of how computers work is indeed important, but not as important as grasping basic concepts in programming before moving on to more difficult languages. By starting out in C++/C instead of C# you'd be like someone attempting to build a car without even knowing what a car is let alone be able to drive one.

Reaction score

This is super incorrect into his context. It is important to know about your computer if that's what you want to do or you absolutely need to. C++ doesn't teach you about it computer at all. You're trying to say that a C++ programmer knows how ur computer works? That's a massive lie, and it is so because the true fact is that people don't need to know that. In most computer engineering courses they make u start with simpler languages such as python. "Understanding how computers work" involve a lot of other knowledge parallel to programming.

Now in regards to the question, I don't believe there's anything else to add. C++ is still really important nowadays. if you want to learn to program and write your own code without any prior knowledge, go for something like python. It has Objects, functional, etc. It'll teach ya the basics of everything you need to know.

If you just want to make games, then use a great engine such as unreal engine or unity. Without programming knowledge I'd go with unreal since they have blueprints (graphical scripts), even tho its interface might be a bit daunting at first.

If you need any help with anything feel free to ask me.