Change of 3.4, sentence and death system suggestion

Reaction score
Improved sentence and death system

The aim of this suggestion is to improve the quality of roleplay, people valuing their lives and possessions without having certain rules limiting their experience. The suggestion would bring more stability into the constant wars and raiding, the chaos that is Paralake traffic and give opportunity for players to have fun who don’t raid.

The multiplied sentences

The multiplied sentences would automatically multiply within a certain timeframe based on fine and sentence received. This would offer real punishment for people who keep recommitting offences or even just baiting the police and strongly motivating players not to do so. As Paralake is always a warzone with police constantly overwhelmed with shootouts 10k 10y fine for most players is just a small discomfort rather than a punishment. This system would also be automatic, therefore huge sentences will not be up to decision of individual police officers. This change would automatically enforce 3.4 Putting your Life at Risk (Risk of a long prison sentence) as this is what people would rather avoid.

Example 1

For this example I have set the multiplication points to 5% per 1 year of jail and 5% per $1000 ticket. These values are just for example and will need tweaking and probably need to be set much higher.

If player gets jailed for 10k 10y this would add up 50 + 50 = 100% multiplication. The next time they get caught murdering someone and receive the same sentence the new multiplication would be made including previous multiplicated sentence: 10y + 10k x +100% = 20y 20k. After this the same sentence would be 40y 40k and so on.

Example 2

Following the previous perimeters here is example for someone who messes about.

Player gets parking ticket $1000, multiplication goes to 5%. After this the player is ticketed for reckless driving $3000, with 5% receives fine $3150 with new multiplication for next punishment being 5 + 15.75 = 20.75. After this the player build shooting range in his back yard and receives (instead of warning) $2000 fine which will cost the player $2415 with new multiplication being 10 + 20.75 = 30.75%. After this the player decides to drift more and receives 5y 5k, with his actual sentence being 7y 6.5k. After this the player stops committing crimes as the multiplication for next crime would be (7 x 5 = 35) + (5 x 5 = 25) + 30.75 = 90.75 and the player will do no more crimes as the multiplication will start to skyrocket further up and is heavy on the wallet and his time.

Cooldown

After the multiplication rate going up there is cooldown when player commits no crimes where the multiplication rate goes down. This could be for example 4% per hour and it would 24 hours to go back to 0, or 0.4% per hour if set on week for total cooldown.

Death system

Every player knows, in case of police arrest, there is no reason to hand yourself in for large crime but rather go down with a shootout to avoid sentence and fine. To value players lives police officers should be able to file the deceased players on the crimes they committed and issue a citation. As the deceased player avoids jail sentence the ticket should have automatic multiplier (for example 2x) on top of the previously mentioned multiplication system as dead person servers no jail time and the multiplication would actually motivate players to hand themselves in peacefully. This change would automatically enforce 3.4 Putting your Life at Risk and 3.6 Stay Alive.

Conclusion

Paralake is always a warzone for a serious RP. Only action based fun that is allowed according to the rules is raiding and the constant wars are not really that high stake and make city look like warzone overcrowding police with work. As someone who rarely raids I have nothing to do according to server rules, can’t street race, can’t build gun range, can’t shoot fireworks – heck sometimes you see 2 police cars driving, and it is hard not to overtake them. Thankfully most of the administrative team is fun and understanding when it comes to those things and understands I am a bit of a loose cannon. But for those staff that does not get my shenanigans or other players who want to do other fun things than raiding I feel this change would be great.

Thank you for reading. Please share your thoughts.

Reaction score
I agree that there should be a system in place to better reflect the gravity of repeat offences than currently exists. The server and guidelines have changed a lot over the past 9 years, but the maximum punishments have remained more or less the same.

However, the Police Department needs to standardize its punishments and sentences before this could even be a possibility. Having standardized sentences and punishments would not only minimize over-charging and officer error, but also ensure that everyone is given unprejudiced and equal treatment and sentencing based on the context of their charges rather than a friendship with the arresting officer. This would also mean that the specific charges could be parsed as data and used to influence further offences

Reaction score
I agree that there should be a system in place to better reflect the gravity of repeat offences than currently exists. The server and guidelines have changed a lot over the past 9 years, but the maximum punishments have remained more or less the same.

However, the Police Department needs to standardize its punishments and sentences before this could even be a possibility. Having standardized sentences and punishments would not only minimize over-charging and officer error, but also ensure that everyone is given unprejudiced and equal treatment and sentencing based on the context of their charges rather than a friendship with the arresting officer. This would also mean that the specific charges could be parsed as data and used to influence further offences
I very much agree with the standardization idea.

Max

Reaction score
I don't know about all the 3.4 business but it seems that part of the issue you are facing is that criminal rp is not very diverse and most criminal rp outside of raiding is discouraged and shut down by cops and admins ( correct me if I am wrong). I don't see how discouraging raiding and other serious crimes is a viable solution to this issue, when this would just create more issues and upset with people who do like to raid and ruin what they find is fun. I can sympathise with the fact that criminal rp in its current state can seem monotonous and lackluster and I do agree with this. There has been suggestions/changes in the past to rectify this but nothing that has effectively solved or remedied the issue, however I think that the change that you proposed wouldn't help matters and would do more harm than good.

Also as a side note nobody wants to wait 40 minutes in a virtual prison, at the end of the day it is a video game.

Reaction score
criminal rp is not very diverse and most criminal rp outside of raiding is discouraged and shut down by cops and admins ( correct me if I am wrong).

Like what? In my opinion, it's not as much us shutting it down as it is criminals not engaging in it.

Reaction score
I don't know about all the 3.4 business but it seems that part of the issue you are facing is that criminal rp is not very diverse and most criminal rp outside of raiding is discouraged and shut down by cops and admins ( correct me if I am wrong). I don't see how discouraging raiding and other serious crimes is a viable solution to this issue, when this would just create more issues and upset with people who do like to raid and ruin what they find is fun. I can sympathise with the fact that criminal rp in its current state can seem monotonous and lackluster and I do agree with this. There has been suggestions/changes in the past to rectify this but nothing that has effectively solved or remedied the issue, however I think that the change that you proposed wouldn't help matters and would do more harm than good.

Also as a side note nobody wants to wait 40 minutes in a virtual prison, at the end of the day it is a video game.
Thank you for seeing my point - all other crime except raiding is discouraged. The argument is that when raiding you can risk 3.4 as you have possibility for financial gains. The reason for this system is for player depending on his financial status to make the decision himself on which crimes you can risk 3.4.

“Also as a side note nobody wants to wait 40 minutes in a virtual prison, at the end of the day it is a video game.”

The multiplications I presented are just samples, perhaps the system could apply only on tickets, where fines could multiply up but sentenced years would remain same, or a bail system where you pay double fine and get bailed out.

But yes that is the point of the system.. this would encourage 3.4 - if you keep breaking law constantly instead of warning or ban for risking jail sentence, you would actually sit quite a long time in jail.

Reaction score
The multiplied sentences would automatically multiply within a certain timeframe based on fine and sentence received. This would offer real punishment for people who keep recommitting offences or even just baiting the police and strongly motivating players not to do so.
Deterrence from criminal activity is just about the last thing you want to see on PERP. Sure, there’s a lot of shootouts regularly. It’s always the same people who partake in them though, most PERP players either main jobs, grow or sit around bazaar.

This change would automatically enforce 3.4 Putting your Life at Risk (Risk of a long prison sentence) as this is what people would rather avoid
How would this enforce 3.4? All this would do is intensify it as the risk of having a ticket over 10k and over 10 minutes jail would only increase the risk and loss margin.

Having in game mechanics to “enforce 3.4” when that’s what bans, warnings and blacklists are for is an oxymoron, if the punishment doesn’t require staff intervention it shouldn’t be a rule break.

Every player knows, in case of police arrest, there is no reason to hand yourself in for large crime but rather go down with a shootout to avoid sentence and fine.
For most crim mains having to explain in a report why you, someone who is warranted decided to momentarily stand in an open area like bazaar alone is enough of a deterrent than just handing yourself in. Players who want to base or just overall avoid conflict will (and do) hand themselves in.

What I do see as an issue is players who will pull a pistol or another gun which gives them minimal advantage to try solo fighting 5 armoured officers as it’s easier cheaper than getting a ticket.
As someone who rarely raids I have nothing to do according to server rules, can’t street race, can’t build gun range, can’t shoot fireworks – heck sometimes you see 2 police cars driving, and it is hard not to overtake them.
First example: You can street race as long as you aren’t a moron about it and decide that the circuit is going to be down the wrong lane of the highway.
Second Example: Police will stop you hosting a gun range, rules aren’t really an issue with it unless you decide that said gun range is going to be in an urban area or within a bazaar shop.
3rd example (cant shoot fireworks): ????????

This weird prenotion that there’s nothing to do other than shoot players in pvp situations is simply a skill issue in terms of player creativity. It hasnt been the games fault for ages, simply a player issue.

No one touches poker which is a huge social game and a cheeky source of income at others expenses. People all live in fear of being mugged which stops them doing any passive stuff beyond working jobs. Why? Just don’t carry things if you don’t want to get robbed. Simple as.

Tl;dr: This thread is simply a yelp reciew for the good old classic nothingburger.

criminal rp is not very diverse and most criminal rp outside of raiding is discouraged and shut down by cops and admins
Shut down by admins is rarely something I see happen, could you give examples? As for cops that’s kinda their job.

Reaction score
yeah that long is a bit absurd. I spent 45 min on jail on Arma 3 Life back in the day for drug trafficking weed only. It's a bit excessive lol
The real problem isn’t having to spend that much time in a virtual prison. It’s that we’re here to play a roleplay game where we seriously act like a character with some compromises for fun.

So the same logic should be applied with prison. Prison shouldn’t be a sole confinement or a chatting lounge. There should be more and that all will probably come in V6 if the devs agree to revamp prison system to make it more interactive for Riots, prison escapes, prison fights, good behavior lessening your sentence and such things. Those things would make it actually enjoyable in my opinion.