Delete old Warnings (poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Discussion Post: https://perpheads.com/threads/removal-of-old-warnings.27963/

Main Idea: I suggest that warnings be removed from ones record after a 2 year time period.
A poll has also been added to see if the community agrees with 2 years being a reasonable time.
If not, then I am willing to change the the suggestion back to its original 3 years.

Full description of the idea: See "Main idea" above.

Note that this suggestion is only for warnings and not bans.

Why should it be added?:

Before reading through this post please go ahead and read through the discussion thread as arguments, pros and cons are more thuroughly debated there.

These are my two main posts in the discussion thread:
https://perpheads.com/threads/removal-of-old-warnings.27963/#post-170717
https://perpheads.com/threads/removal-of-old-warnings.27963/#post-170804

The arguments that have been presented in opposition to this suggestion have all been centered around staff wanting/needing to maintain records in order for "...staff members to understand what you've done before...".
It has also been claimed that people who have changed their ways from being minges with over 20 warnings to becoming proper dedicated roleplayers would be impossible to deal with for adminst if warnings didn't stay permanently.

These sort of players who have over or near 20 warnings are merely a fraction of players.
It would seem reasonable that the actions made by a fraction of members should not impact the entire playerbase in an undoubtedly negative way.

There has also been the argument that old warnings are not taken into consideration.
I personally do not fully agree with this.
@Imperial Watch (ex-moderator) says in his post in the discussion thread that according to his experience it is impossible to "overlook" old warnings.

If you have ever been part of the staff team you will know that it all depends on the quantity-, content of the warnings and of course which staff member is dealing with the admin sit.
In the end every punishment handed out is up to the discretion of that individual staff member as long as it can be justified. Under the right circumstances any warning no matter the age can be taken into consideration and help justify a lenghty ban for example.
I am certain that there are other staff and members that are aware and can attest to this.

We have to realize that warnings are usually given for lesser rules being broken and should with this in mind not be permanent. People who have made minor mistakes e.g. such as running a red light several years ago when new to the server should not have to permanently have their record stained and future punishments based on obsolete data.

A few questions to ask oneself...

Do you believe that the average player is to continously be held accountable for lesser mistakes made over 2-3 years ago, which resulted in a warning?

Do you believe there is harm associated with people recieving positive feedback?
(This is refering to giving those people who have changed their ways from minges to serious rule-abiding roleplayers that are assets to the server, a bit of a fresh start and perhaps some appreciation/positive feedback).

Do you believe it is good to not have a server culture that excessively focuses on punishment?

Pros:
  • People with a high amount and/or very old warnings get some amount of a "fresh start".
  • Perpheads in general will hopefully become less focused on a culture of very stern administrative punishments. Arguably even excessively stern (NOTE: I do not exclude the warnings and bans I personally handed out, in hindsight some definately were).
  • Hopefully easing up the culture of quantity over quality inside the staff team when it comes to warnings and bans given to players.
    When I was a part of the staff team it was "prestigeous" and sought after to be the one with the most warnings or bans handed out. Just as doing the most reports is a testament to being very active.
    I know for certain that this did not involve ever single staff member, but it is an indication that perhaps something was and possibly might still be amiss.
Cons:
  • Staff members may prefere to utilise bans to a higher degree, even for minor offenses, knowing that any warning given will be removed in a few years time.
  • Regarding people who have accumulated A LOT of warnings and bans and eventually recieved permanent bans because of this, it will not matter if their warnings are removed since the bans would still be there.
    A limitation could be made that make people who have active permanent bans unable to have their warnings removed.

*Other additions:

All opinions and thoughts are based on my time as a moderator and long time player of the server.

If anyone has any new arguments for or against this suggestion I would love to hear it either in this thread of the discussion one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Warnings are warnings and they should stay. However staff should ofcourse keep in mind howlong it has been since you recieved you're last warning.

Reaction score
@Alliat

The problem is that "keep in mind" is a completely equivocal statement.
If you read my post you might realize that it does not matter how old a warning is, it is not difficult to justify taking it into consideration. Especially not if you are someone with say 10+ warnings and a handfull of bans of varying lenght.

What is much more difficult however is to dispute a very old warning from your sweaterwest days, considering demos are long gone and most staff members are no longer members of the server.

Reaction score
since you seem to keep begging for opinions i'll voice mine.

In my eyes, warnings should be permanent. This is because i don't think that the fact you broke a rule should change over time, therefore warnings should be permanent. It doesn't matter if you got your warning 3 years ago, you still broke the rules and it's a pretty widely understood fact that warnings are permanent. I think that if warnings were removed after only a year, people would have less of a problem with getting them because they know that after a year they'll be back to a clean slate, as if they never did anything.

Reaction score
since you seem to keep begging for opinions i'll voice mine.

In my eyes, warnings should be permanent. This is because i don't think that the fact you broke a rule should change over time, therefore warnings should be permanent. It doesn't matter if you got your warning 3 years ago, you still broke the rules and it's a pretty widely understood fact that warnings are permanent. I think that if warnings were removed after only a year, people would have less of a problem with getting them because they know that after a year they'll be back to a clean slate, as if they never did anything.

Begging? Just promoting considering the discussion thread has above 1k views whilst this one only has 200.
Looking at the rating difference it is clear that not everyone who have seen the discussion thread has read this one.

I do agree with you on the fact that 1 year is to short. This suggestion is for 2 years and not 1 year.
I am willing to change the suggestion back to 3 years, but that does not seem especially popular.

But considering a lot of people has warnings such as these from our sweater days, it would seem reasonable for they to be removed after such a long time.
Staff will have no use for warnings that are that old and there just does not seem to be any good arguments for them to be kept permanently.

"Instashoot me for having a shotgun on my back"
"Constantly breaking 3.24"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even though I have more bans than warnings I like the concept of them as they're like the MOT on a car history but on a player, I do agree to this however as I'd have 1 warning to my record

Reaction score
accepted.jpg

Warnings are now only public for 2 years. You can view your personal older warnings by logging in.​

Status
Not open for further replies.