Removal of Old Warnings

Reaction score
Discussion Post: https://perpheads.com/threads/removal-of-old-warnings.27963/

Main Idea: I suggest that warnings be removed from ones record after a 3 year time period.
A poll has also been added to see if the community agrees with warnings not permanently remaining on ones record.

Full description of the idea: See "Main idea" above.

Note that this specific suggestion is only for warnings and not bans.

Why should it be added?:

Before reading through this post please go ahead and read through the discussion thread as arguments, pros and cons are more thuroughly debated there.

https://perpheads.com/threads/removal-of-old-warnings.27963/

We have to realize that warnings are usually given for lesser rules being broken and should with this in mind not be permanent. People who have made minor mistakes e.g. such as running a red light several years ago when new to the server should not have to permanently have their record stained and future punishments based on obsolete data.

The arguments that have been presented in opposition to this suggestion have all been centered around staff wanting/needing to maintain records in order for "...staff members to understand what you've done before...".
It has also been claimed that people who have changed their ways from being minges with over 15-20 warnings to becoming proper dedicated roleplayers would be impossible to deal with for adminst if warnings didn't stay permanently.

These sort of players who have over or near 15-20 warnings are merely a fraction of players.
It would seem reasonable that the actions made by a fraction of members should not impact the entire playerbase in an undoubtedly negative way.

A few questions to ask oneself...

Do you believe that the average player is to continously be held accountable for lesser mistakes made over 3 years ago, which resulted in a warning?

Do you believe it is good to not have a server culture that excessively focuses on punishment?

Pros:
  • People with a high amount and/or very old warnings get some amount of a "fresh start".
  • Perpheads in general will hopefully become less focused on a culture of very stern administrative punishments. Arguably even excessively stern (NOTE: I do not exclude the warnings and bans I personally handed out, in hindsight some definately were).
  • Hopefully easing up the culture of quantity over quality inside the staff team when it comes to warnings and bans given to players.
Cons:
  • Staff members may prefere to utilise bans to a higher degree, even for minor offenses, knowing that any warning given will be removed in a few years time.
  • Regarding people who have accumulated A LOT of warnings and bans and eventually recieved permanent bans because of this, it will not matter if their warnings are removed since the bans would still be there.
    A limitation could be made that make people who have active permanent bans unable to have their warnings removed.

Reaction score
Taking warnings/bans into account when they are years old doesn't make sense to me. People change in that time and looking at a player with a lot of warnings from years ago changes how they are seen from a staffing point of view, while they could be a completely different person.

Reaction score
as someone with "Reversed through red light at intersection in an ambulance with no lights siren or headlights on" I definitely agree with this, because I'm not that fucking new stupid anymore.

Reaction score
Warnings are in place for a reason. If you are caught/reported breaking a rule and a staff member checks your warnings to see if you are a repeat offender, and to see if you have learned or not. If you have multiple warnings for the same offense (I don't care if it was back in 2013) it would show me that you have broken this rule before. Yes I would take into account the time between the last warning so for example if I was an open-minded and considerate staff member I would go "Right, He has a previous offence of rule 3.4 a year ago and due to that length of time I am either just going to give him another warning or a very short ban depending on the severity of the situation and how many people where affected and how they were during the sit." What I'm trying to say is the warnings should not be removed but taken very lightly upon meaning the older the warning the shorter/softer the punishment. At least with the warnings, the staff know you have broken this rule in the past and have had more than enough time to know better. Of course, people can change over a few years or so but if that's the case then they would have almost definitely learned from their mistakes and know how to avoid rule breaks. I haven't had a ban in over a year (Before I stopped playing) and if I (One of the saltiest people in the community) can do it then why can't anyone else?

Reaction score
If you don't take them into consideration why are they still there...?
They stay there for future reference. I personally don't see the issue.
It's the same as when you get points on your driving licence for speeding, after they've expired they're not taken into consideration but they're still there on your record forever :)

Deleted member 6228

Warnings are warnings, they should not be permanent. They should deter someone from breaking a rule again but they shouldn't last forever.

Reaction score
Warnings are warnings, they should not be permanent. They should deter someone from breaking a rule again but they shouldn't last forever.
Why shouldn't they last forever?
School 'discipline' warnings last forever (whilst at that school), getting a warning at a nightclub stays forever, getting warning at a pub lasts forever, getting a formal warning from the police lasts forever, getting a formal warning from a workplace lasts forever.
Warnings are warnings, your warnings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why shouldn't they last forever?
School 'discipline' warnings last forever (whilst at that school), getting a warning at a nightclub stays forever, getting warning at a pub lasts forever, getting a formal warning from the police lasts forever, getting a formal warning from a workplace lasts forever.
Warnings are warnings, you're warnings.

From all i remember this is still a game and not your drivers license, A pub , a night club, your local police/authority, school or your workplace.

Reaction score
If a staff member punishes you harder because you minged about as a cop in 2014, just throw a brick at their house: they're obviously an awful staff member.

Reaction score
nope

we're not stupid, we don't take warnings that you have from 2014 into account unless you've broken the rule every single year.
If you don't take them into consideration why are they still there...?

Idd. It's hard to overlook quantity over quality as staff when it comes to the warning count (myself included when I was mod).
You'll always be influenced by previous infractions and therefore, personally, I don't think it's okay for someone to be judged for what they did several years ago, especially considering the numerous amount of rule changes that have occurred and even if there has been a gap of a year or several between infractions.

Reaction score
Idd. It's hard to overlook quantity over quality as staff when it comes to the warning count (myself included when I was mod).
You'll always be influenced by previous infractions and therefore, personally, I don't think it's okay for someone to be judged for what they did several years ago, especially considering the numerous amount of rule changes that have occurred and even if there has been a gap of a year or several between infractions.
What I think is important in those scenarios where we've had people going breaking rules every single year. Let's say we have someone from 2014 who had a lot of warnings for certain things, they get a permanent ban, come back in 2018 and get a last chance, as a staff member I would like to see what they did that was such a big deal back then in the staff teams eyes. I mean we've had people banned permanently where they had warnings for 3.21 - Walking on the highway, it's one of those scenarios we're I'd let the guy off even though it would be his "last chance"

It's a hard thing to argue for and against, I'd rather keep it the way we have it as it's nice to be able to back track people in different scenarios.